PDA

View Full Version : RAA Saiga or SKS 7.62 X 39. Which is a better gun?

NTORACN
10-23-2009, 6:33 PM
Been looking for a used SKS or similar to replace my outlawed AK. I have looked at different avenues to replace it. I found what I'm looking for in the RAA Saiga. At $400 brand new, they are cheaper than privat party units are selling for. What are the down side(s) to these guns? Are they prone to breaking or have wear issues? If their junk, I can get a used CA legal SKS/Century Arms for $375, which is close to what I had. Which is the better deal?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

69Mach1
10-23-2009, 6:45 PM
A Saiga is a modified Kalashnikov. That means it will go, and go, and go....
They are built very well, and the plus is that's it's a Russian variant.

audihenry
10-23-2009, 7:02 PM
The AK is the ultimate weapon from the point of view of durability and ease of use, maintenance, etc.

Dr Rockso
10-23-2009, 8:12 PM
Saigas are real Russian-built AKs from the Izhevsk Mechanical Works. It's a new AK with a funny looking trigger group and plastic furniture. The plastic buttstock is a bit flimsy, but the rifle itself is not junk by any means.

Lucky Scott
10-23-2009, 8:47 PM
I really like my SKS and it shoots great!
I have a problem with the lite weight plastic furniture, I like the heavy wood stuff. The old solid SKS just feels right, and you know they are built like a tank and work forever.

Dont have any first hand experience with the newer guns but hear good things about them.

vinny_land
10-23-2009, 9:25 PM
Saigas are real Russian-built AKs from the Izhevsk Mechanical Works. It's a new AK with a funny looking trigger group and plastic furniture. The plastic buttstock is a bit flimsy, but the rifle itself is not junk by any means.

What he said! I've had my Saiga for almost 2 years now and I love that rifle. I want to get one in .223 so that I can run AR mags in it...still need to have a magazine adapter though :(

sd_shooter
10-23-2009, 10:20 PM
They are similar yet different. The SKS is a piece of history and a rather beautiful gun. You get a milled receiver and a real wood stock - and my Russian has a chrome lined bore! However you have to live with top loading the fixed magazine.

The Saiga is an AK variant with a stamped receiver. It is more of a tool and isn't pretty, but you can drop the mags and it is a blast to shoot.

I couldn't choose between them, so now I have both. I suggest you get the SKS first because they are harder to find, then get at least one Saiga later! The price is about the same, you can't go wrong either way, both guns will outlast you. (However I would pick an AK over the SKS if it had wood furniture.)

Bizcuits
10-24-2009, 8:33 AM
I've never been a fan of the Saiga rifles, I'd take and SKS or WASR 10

robairto
10-24-2009, 9:30 PM
SAIGA, is the modern populous firearm much like the SKS's were fifteen years ago.. They are inexpensive, functional,and found in mass with cheap ammo. I'd buy the SAIGA because of they magazine option.

Dr Rockso
10-24-2009, 10:12 PM
SAIGA, is the modern populous firearm much like the SKS's were fifteen years ago.. They are inexpensive, functional,and found in mass with cheap ammo. I'd buy the SAIGA because of they magazine option.
Fifteen years ago? Heck, Yugos were $150 about 3-4 years ago.

hoozaru
10-24-2009, 10:46 PM
both equally reliable
SKS has better iron sight, while Saiga will take detachable mags.

forgiven
10-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I personally like the SKS.

SanSacto
10-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Saiga.

Rob454
10-25-2009, 9:53 AM
I have a problem with the lite weight plastic furniture, I like the heavy wood stuff. T

Lite plastic? I have a Combat exchange sportster stock and that thing is HEAVY.

Fifteen years ago? Heck, Yugos were $150 about 3-4 years ago.

How much is a Yugo now?

Personally I had a Saiga and a SKS. The Saiga was fun cause it had detachable mags. It was nowhere as sturdy built as the SKS IMO. It felt more flimsy. the plastic buttstock sucked both as a hand firing position and also as a ergonomic/piece of the rifle. Probably one of the worse stocks Ive ever used. if you can afford it switch to a factory wood stock.
If I had to choose again between a saiga and a SKS as a pure shooting platform no other SHTF cool factor scenario I would take the SKS.
if you want a detachable mag able to make into a pistol grip AK later get a Saiga.

doughboy334
10-25-2009, 4:52 PM
top loading and having a last shot bolt open feature (SKS) vs detachable magazines (Saiga).

I have a SKS, don't think I'll get Saiga yet but in the future I'd like a 5.45 variant.

acolytes
10-25-2009, 5:59 PM
I like the Saiga because of the detachable mag factor. I have an M59 sks right now, and am hoping to add a 7.62 Saiga to the collection soon.

Crazed_SS
10-25-2009, 8:11 PM
I prefer the my Saiga over my SKS because of detachable mags.

Mitch
10-26-2009, 5:57 AM
Threads like this are silly.

Get both!

NTORACN
10-26-2009, 7:00 PM
Threads like this are silly.

Get both!

I wish I could afford both, but not at this time. I'm less that 100 bucks away from being able to buy. I'm getting excited.:cool2:

aarocker1
10-26-2009, 8:26 PM
Love my Saiga. Works well with a red dot sight. I don't like the open AK sights. Really the only thing I don't like is the trigger but that's what happens when they need to put a connector in place to Kaliforniate a good rifle.

seanbo
10-26-2009, 9:04 PM
I got my yugo 59 sks for like $250 out the door 4 years ago. Man I love that gun. I got a Saiga in 7.62 after I saw you could own a ak with detachable mags. I love that gun too!!!!! If you get a sks get a 59, it's better then the other calie legit ones.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-26-2009, 9:41 PM
It's like asking which one is better, the Garand or the M1A, if you ask me. Both are excellent rifles; one has detachable magazines, one doesn't.

I have an SKS but have been considering a Saiga for the detachable magazine option. I'll wait a while longer and see if I can get a more favorable price, though.

Mitch
10-27-2009, 6:39 AM
Love my Saiga. Works well with a red dot sight. I don't like the open AK sights. Really the only thing I don't like is the trigger but that's what happens when they need to put a connector in place to Kaliforniate a good rifle.

This link is for you: http://www.dinzagarms.com/

That guy sells Tapco trigger kits modified for Saigas. Now my Saiga trigger is just lovely. Don't know what you are talking about with regard to the connector.

Mitch
10-27-2009, 6:42 AM
If you get a sks get a 59, it's better then the other calie legit ones.

I have always heard that and even believed it myself for a time, but I now own four Chinee and one Yugo and as far as I'm concerned they are all excellent rifles.

I customize the Norincos, not the Yugo, because I prefer it to remain in original military trim.