PDA

View Full Version : BENCHES AT SUNNYVALE ROD?

gemini1
10-23-2009, 4:56 PM
Are there any benches at the high power rifle side? I went there last saturday but they were fully booked and was'nt able to shoot. I noticed that they only have something similar to Jackson Arms. I did see benches on the other side where old folks seemed to have some sort of competition shooting .22s. I wanted to zero my AR at 50 yards.

diginit
10-23-2009, 9:47 PM
There is sometimes a wait for the HPR lanes there. I've never had to wait more that 1/2 an hour though. Just watch the clay or other shooters till your name is callled. The 22's are a separate area to the right of the pistol lanes. It's a sound ordinance thing. The HP rifle lanes are to the left next to the sound wall.
The people that live on Overlook Rd complain, Although they knew the range was there when they bought their homes.

gemini1
10-23-2009, 10:31 PM
So are there any benches in the HP rifle lanes that the RO will let you use to zero an AR?

diginit
10-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I think only lanes 1 & 2 have 25yrd. targets. The others have 50 and 100.
With the carry handle, Start your zero on the"Z" mark on the site at 25 yds. That should be zero at 100. Double check it at 100 yds to be sure. Do the same with a scope or red dot. Always start your zero close and work out to the desired yardage. Everyone has their prefered distance. You can rent you a spotting scope for 3 bucks there.

Technical Ted
10-23-2009, 10:59 PM
I think only lanes 1 & 2 have 25yrd. targets. The others have 50 and 100.
With the carry handle, Start your zero on the"Z" mark on the site at 25 yds. That should be zero at 100. Double check it at 100 yds to be sure. Do the same with a scope or red dot. Always start your zero close and work out to the desired yardage. Everyone has their prefered distance. You can rent you a spotting scope for 3 bucks there.
You're thinking of Los Altos Rod and Gun which is actually in Los Gatos. Sunnyvale Rod and Gun is in Cupertino. Both clubs were established in what was once unincorporated areas of Santa Clara County. Time and development have allowed cities to incorporate those areas.

Sunnyvale does have benches on the centerfire rifle line. These benches are mobile (they can be moved) and interchangeable (there are benches for right and left hand shooters). The target stands on all rifle lanes are moveable to positions at 25, 50 and 100 yds. There's no need to change benches. Simply move your target to a different distance during cease fires.

diginit
10-23-2009, 11:03 PM
No, I have never been to the Hwy 35 range. The sunnyvale R&G, Across from Stevens Creek Res. Only lane 1 and 2 have 25, 50, and 100 yrd target stands. The rest have 50 and 100 yrd. all have benches.

Technical Ted
10-23-2009, 11:10 PM
No, I have never been to the Hwy 35 range. The sunnyvale R&G, Across from Stevens Creek Res. Only lane 1 and 2 have 25 yrd target stands. The rest have 50 and 100 yrd. all have benches.
Must have changed things since I last had to use a 25 yd position then, because the last time I zeroed a rifle at 25 yds it wasn't at lane 1 or 2.

diginit
10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Could be, The hypocrites on Overlook have been trying to close it, Even though the range has been there long before any houses were built there.
When would you like to go again? PM me. We'll punch some holes. Maybe we can get some other CG'ers to go too.

schnellfeuer300
10-26-2009, 12:38 AM
No, I have never been to the Hwy 35 range. The sunnyvale R&G, Across from Stevens Creek Res. Only lane 1 and 2 have 25, 50, and 100 yrd target stands. The rest have 50 and 100 yrd. all have benches.

SRGC has 25, 50, and 100-yard targets on every firing point.

http://sunnyvalegunclub.com/range/index.html

wikidklown
10-26-2009, 1:03 AM
SRGC has 25, 50, and 100-yard targets on every firing point.

http://sunnyvalegunclub.com/range/index.html

That's how it was last time I was there the beginning of this year.
There's also metal at 100 yard....

lineman66
10-26-2009, 6:15 AM
Could be, The hypocrites on Overlook have been trying to close it, Even though the range has been there long before any houses were built there.
When would you like to go again? PM me. We'll punch some holes. Maybe we can get some other CG'ers to go too.

I'd be interested, been meaning to check out Sunnyvale R&G for a while, usually shoot at Los Altos R&G.

advocatusdiaboli
10-26-2009, 9:14 PM
I'd check them out, but I only have break open shotguns these days so I go to Coyote Valley Sporting Clays. Used to shoot at LARAG off Skyline and never had any issues in finding a place to shoot what I brought but times must be a changing.

Vinz
10-26-2009, 9:48 PM
So are there any benches in the HP rifle lanes that the RO will let you use to zero an AR?

let me know if you want to hit up Jackson Arms to get close then head out to Coyote. We have a spotting scope.

we can use this... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=221182

vinz

POLICESTATE
10-26-2009, 9:53 PM
I was just at SV Rod & Gun last Friday and zero'd my AR at 25 yards, they have benches on all HPR lanes, 25, 50 and 100 yard positions for targets.

However I'm not happy with my zeroing, I think I need to go back. I zeroed at 25 great, but when I shoot at 100 yards the bullets are kind of all over, I was having a tough time with the iron sights at this distance, even though my glasses were clean, might be time for an eye checkup. Still, with the red dot zeroed at 25 yards I noticed that at 100 yards the bullets were POI a good 6-8 inches higher than POA oddly enough. SHould have been only about 5.5-6 inches using the M855 rounds I was using according to the ballistics. Will have to go back later and check it again with contacts maybe.

diginit
10-27-2009, 6:27 PM
I was just at SV Rod & Gun last Friday and zero'd my AR at 25 yards, they have benches on all HPR lanes, 25, 50 and 100 yard positions for targets.

What lane were you on? When I zeroed my AR there about 9 months ago, I had to wait for lane 1 or 2 to open because they were the only lanes with 25 yrd target posts. They had 4x4's laterally on the ground, but no poles set to hold the target stand at 25. Only 50 and 100.