PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Source for 7.62 ammo for new Saiga?

Henry Hill
10-23-2009, 3:55 PM
New Saiga in a few days, need to get some cheap ammo and be prepared when it gets here!

Dekker
10-23-2009, 3:59 PM
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=45_129&products_id=2010

Other places might be cheaper(haven't checked), but ya can't beat 7.95 flat rate shipping.

sd_shooter
10-23-2009, 4:01 PM
I just bought a case of Yugo from here, that's 1260 rounds for $220 (plus shipping):

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/762x39_ammo.html

In my case it worked out to 21.4 cents/round. And the Yugo is something you can use anywhere, it's lead core, copper jacketed and brass cased. Beautiful ammo !:D

Henry Hill
10-23-2009, 4:01 PM
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=45_129&products_id=2010

Other places might be cheaper(haven't checked), but ya can't beat 7.95 flat rate shipping.

Looks like a good deal based on the few places I've seen ..

Any ammo manufacture recommendations? It seems theres an opinion that some ammo is alot worse for the gun then others/or does that matter w/ the saiga?

Henry Hill
10-23-2009, 4:04 PM
I just bought a case of Yugo from here, that's 1260 rounds for $220 (plus shipping):

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/762x39_ammo.html

In my case it worked out to 21.4 cents/round.

How much was shipping?

Mitch
or does that matter w/ the saiga?

No. Saigas are made to be fired.

sd_shooter
How much was shipping?

$50.

welchy
10-23-2009, 4:07 PM
Go here http://gun-deals.com/ammo and remember that Yugo crap is corrosive.

Henry Hill
10-23-2009, 4:10 PM
Go here http://gun-deals.com/ammo and remember that Yugo crap is corrosive.

What makes a round more "corrosive" (I'm thinking you guys mean it makes the gun dirtier ) ? I will most likely clean my Saiga in between range trips anyway

Mitch
10-23-2009, 4:13 PM
What makes a round more "corrosive" (I'm thinking you guys mean it makes the gun dirtier ) ? I will most likely clean my Saiga in between range trips anyway

Corrosive doesn't mean dirty, it means there are corrosive chemicals in the primers that will eat away at the steel of your chamber and barrel, and maybe even gas system.

After shooting corrosive ammunition you must clean your rifle with soap and water, then clean it again with the usual solvents.

Henry Hill
10-23-2009, 4:16 PM
Corrosive doesn't mean dirty, it means there are corrosive chemicals in the primers that will eat away at the steel of your chamber and barrel, and maybe even gas system.

After shooting corrosive ammunition you must clean your rifle with soap and water, then clean it again with the usual solvents.

LOL, wtf. Why would anyone buy that crap if it did this? What ammo brand is good?

Henry Hill
10-23-2009, 4:18 PM
The brown bear Ammo says non corrosive. Any reason to get a certain grain over another? Or does it not matter at all

Mitch
10-23-2009, 4:19 PM
LOL, wtf. Why would anyone buy that crap if it did this?

Because it's cheap.

All ammunition was like that 40 or 50 years ago, when giants strode the earth. A lot of the corrosive ammunition you find now is military surplus from one country or another.

I shoot corrosive Korean ammunition in my Garand. Gotta be very careful to clean it afterwords, otherwise rust abounds!

Henry Hill
10-23-2009, 4:21 PM
Should I avoid the corrosive stuff ( in bulk amounts anyway ) since the rifle is new

Scratch705
10-23-2009, 4:23 PM
LOL, wtf. Why would anyone buy that crap if it did this? What ammo brand is good?

cause its not anything more hassling for those who clean their guns after each range trip such as myself. corrosive or not, i clean my guns to as clean as out of box condition after each range trip.

Dekker
10-23-2009, 4:26 PM
As long as you properly clean your rifle, there is no problem with using corrosive ammunition. I have a Mosin Nagant and all I shoot through it is corrosive ammunition, and it actually looks BETTER than when I got it because I take care of it.

sd_shooter
10-23-2009, 4:50 PM
... and remember that Yugo crap is corrosive.

LOL - and I suppose Brown Bear and Wolf aren't crap?

Mitch
10-23-2009, 4:59 PM

They are precisely what the Saiga was designed and manufactured to shoot.

Dr Rockso
10-23-2009, 5:18 PM
Should I avoid the corrosive stuff ( in bulk amounts anyway ) since the rifle is new
No, just make sure you give it a thorough cleaning with something water-based and, most importantly, store it in a dry area. If there's very little moisture in the air then the salts can't harm anything.

Sabot
10-23-2009, 6:06 PM
One time in my ignorant younger days I shot corrosive ammo through my AK-47. Left the uncleaned gun by an open window on a rainy day, the bore rusted over so much that I couldn't see any bare metal.

a1c
10-23-2009, 7:00 PM
As long as you properly clean your rifle, there is no problem with using corrosive ammunition. I have a Mosin Nagant and all I shoot through it is corrosive ammunition, and it actually looks BETTER than when I got it because I take care of it.

Same here (Finnish M-39 and I shoot that Bulgarian corrosive ammo). My motorcycle helmet and that rifle are the only things I clean up systematically after using, no matter how little.

welchy
10-25-2009, 8:38 AM

Of course they are crap. They just aren't corrosive. Its an AK variant it doesn't care what it shoots. Also, why would you want to clean an AK every time shoot it?

Lucky Scott
10-25-2009, 10:34 AM
"One time in my ignorant younger days I shot corrosive ammo through my AK-47. Left the uncleaned gun by an open window on a rainy day, the bore rusted over so much that I couldn't see any bare metal."

You gotta be kidding me?
Who leaves a dirty gun, by an open window on a rainy day. Who leaves a clean gun by a open window on a rainy day? This is so wrong on so many levels. Who leaves a gun by a open window?????

Me, and millions of other shooters shoot corrosive ammo all the time. Its no big deal, and easy to clean. I clean every gun every time I shoot them.

Never sleep in a house with a dirty gun!

jonni
10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I shoot corrosive yugo. Its no big deal cleaning it really

All ammo back in the day (ie WWII) was corrosive. The greatest generation never had any problems with it

SJgunguy24
10-25-2009, 10:26 PM

You don't have to with the price of wolf. Any of the commie stuff that says non corrosive don't believe it. I dodn't clean on of my AK's for 3 days and I had some pretty red crystalis in the gas tube waiting for my. Wasn't too bad but now I flush with hot soapy water and then clean as normal.

When your ready to shoot, let me know.