PDA

View Full Version : 2nd amendment and militaryhousing

AEC1
10-23-2009, 1:01 PM
I am prepairing to move to military housing (off Base private owned under contract with navy). The rules state that any firearms must be kept unloaded and locked. Is this legal? Can they make there own rules about firearms ownership? I am in San Diego and the city does not have that regulation.

I thought that it might fall under federal regulation as it is Government quaters, but in that case would the Heller decision be the rule even without incorperation?

dantodd
10-23-2009, 1:11 PM
I am prepairing to move to military housing (off Base private owned under contract with navy). The rules state that any firearms must be kept unloaded and locked. Is this legal? Can they make there own rules about firearms ownership? I am in San Diego and the city does not have that regulation.

I thought that it might fall under federal regulation as it is Government quaters, but in that case would the Heller decision be the rule even without incorperation?

The military, AFAIK, is given broad latitude in curbing the constitutional rights of active duty servicemen. However; this may be challengable because they are depriving you of the right to self-defense when you off-base. I think the problem would be the cost in money, time and career advancement in making a stink about it. If you're about ready to leave anyway and have no further career aspirations with the Navy then it might be worth taking up the chain of command and ultimately suing over. I don't know what the risk of an other than honorable discharge would be but I would suspect any mis-step you might make after filing a suit would not be left unrewarded.

sgtbuck
10-23-2009, 1:34 PM
Go figure, trust these guys and gals with million dollar weapons with the capability of killing thousands and we can’t trust them to have a gun in there homes to protect themselves. WOW just simply WOW

Fjold
10-23-2009, 2:17 PM
How long have you been in the military?

You have no more rights than your command allows.

AEC1
10-23-2009, 2:54 PM
Been in 13 years, and you are wrong, you have rights. The housing is owned and maintained by a PRIVATE contractor and has a government contract to provide housing to the military.

GaryV
10-23-2009, 3:06 PM
Is it a reg from the Navy, or is it a rule made by the contractor? That would probably have a big effect on whether to challenge it or not.

CavTrooper
10-23-2009, 4:12 PM
Will the contractor or your command be conducting random, unannounced searches of your quarters?

Mountains out of molehills buddy.

Lyte-
10-23-2009, 5:38 PM
Been in 13 years, and you are wrong, you have rights. The housing is owned and maintained by a PRIVATE contractor and has a government contract to provide housing to the military.

are you moving to "Silver Strand" or somewhere else?

ChuckBooty
10-23-2009, 5:59 PM
Sounds like BS. How are they gonna prove it anyways? They can't do random inspections on you and if, God forbid, you have to use it on an intruder....well...."I'm a quick draw Sir. Loaded her up and blasted the bad guy. Thank God we're ok!"

Fjold
10-23-2009, 6:32 PM
The US Navy refused to allow me to vote in a Presidential election. What bigger right could they take away?

stphnman20
10-23-2009, 6:38 PM
I lived in base housing. All I had to do is register it with base registration and thats it.. I keeped mine loaded at all times.. This was at Camp Pen and Quantico.

AEC1
10-23-2009, 6:38 PM
Rule made by the contractor, and no they will not be making random inspections.

I was going to be moving to silver strand, but the list for senior enlisted 4 bedrooms is 3 years, so it looks like it will be Murphy Canyon.

I know the rule is pretty much unenforcable, but it chaps my hide none the less.

Fjold. I dont know how you were not allowed to vote, but I have been the voting assistance officer at 3 commands now and I can assure you that has not been my experiance. You are only limited to not politicing in uniform or as a representative of the armed forces.

Gray Peterson
10-24-2009, 1:51 AM
The US Navy refused to allow me to vote in a Presidential election. What bigger right could they take away?

:confused:

EOD Guy
10-24-2009, 5:14 AM

I call BS on that statement. It sounds like you screwed up and blamed the Navy.

Fjold
10-24-2009, 7:51 AM
It's amazing the way people will say it didn't happen to me so you must be full of it.

I was a submariner on a missile boat. On August 29th 1980, we shut the hatches and left on deterrent patrol. The State of California did not mail out it's absentee ballots until September or October. The next time we surfaced to come into port was November 13th, 1980. Two days after general election.

When we (more states than California had this same schedule) informed our command of this issue before we left, we were told "tough luck, mission requirements"

This happened to me for more than once during the period of 1978 - 1985.

Yep, I screwed up, I volunteered to serve on Submarines during the cold war.

jbolton
10-24-2009, 8:00 AM
I lived in military housing off base, and was told the same thing. I wasn't told this by the Navy, its was on the lease agreement. A company the Navy used to manage all the off base housing. I just ignored it. Never had any problems. You will be fine, just be smart.

Lyte-
10-24-2009, 8:09 AM
Rule made by the contractor, and no they will not be making random inspections.

I was going to be moving to silver strand, but the list for senior enlisted 4 bedrooms is 3 years, so it looks like it will be Murphy Canyon.

I know the rule is pretty much unenforcable, but it chaps my hide none the less.

Fjold. I dont know how you were not allowed to vote, but I have been the voting assistance officer at 3 commands now and I can assure you that has not been my experiance. You are only limited to not politicing in uniform or as a representative of the armed forces.

I spent most of my youth living in the Silver Strand housing, I am not sure if it was on our lease agreement that we were not permitted to have guns but I can tell you for a fact that my dad had plenty (most of which he kept in the closet in my room oddly enough) of guns loaded and unloaded around the home. No one ever came in and inspected our home. When they decided to remodel all the homes they wanted to move us to murphy canyon but thankfully due to my fathers rank we didn't have to go.

Ross
10-24-2009, 2:30 PM
AEC1,

I lived in Murphey Canyon prior to the contractor taking over. The unloaded/locked rules are not from the private contractor, as I recall the rules then were the same. The reasoning is for the safety of the kids. Remember, everybody has kids to live there and while your kids may be gun safety aware, the neighborhood kids may not be. As long as kids don't have access to a loaded weapon, you should be okay.

From Murphey Canyon I moved to Miramar. One day while sitting in the garage cleaning rifles after a day at the range, base security drove by. They stop, backup and a Cpl and Sgt get out. They both loved the A3-03 and showed me a few tricks cleaning then guns. :D