PDA

View Full Version : Police in UK becoming armed due to increase in "gun crime"

jrr
10-23-2009, 1:34 PM
Here's the link to the story. Anyone who claims that banning guns will stop crime is clearly delusional, but looks like we are starting to get some anecdotal evidence of that fact.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33448132/ns/world_news-europe/

But wait.... aren't guns illegal in Britain? How can they have rising gun crime???
lol, told ya so is one of the most excellent phrases in the English language, don't ya think?

dantodd
10-23-2009, 1:35 PM
Really, they should lead by example. If you want the bad guys to disarm it is best to disarm yourself first.

The Director
10-23-2009, 1:37 PM
Wow. Armed cops! What is this world coming to!

jrr
10-23-2009, 1:46 PM
Lol. Won't somebody think of the children?
I appreciate that MSNBC would even host a story like this, but it still irritates the heck out of me that they write the story with no editorializing or discussion of how this applies to the gun control debate. Whereas if a store owner in New Jersey shoots some robber they manage to spin it into a parable about how owning a gun is asking for trouble. :sarcasm:

MudCamper
10-23-2009, 1:54 PM
"Every single police officer should have a gun," said Daniel Dixon, a 25-year-old engineer from central London. "Criminals might be carrying weapons, and the police officer is endangering himself by not having one."

Oh, the irony.

bulgron
10-23-2009, 2:01 PM
British criminals have guns because America is a hugely armed society and so they get them from us. Never mind the ocean that's between them and us, or the fact that England is an island. It's, clearly, all America's fault.

yellowfin
10-23-2009, 2:10 PM
It's so relieving they're so up front and honest about not caring about the average citizens' lives being in danger from armed criminals. Only if you're a cop in England is your life worth something. Wow, I had thought feudalism was harsh on class distinction...this takes the cake.

five.five-six
10-23-2009, 2:11 PM
Really, they should led by example. If you want the bad guys to disarm it is best to disarm yourself first.

sigworthy

oldrifle
10-23-2009, 2:18 PM
Sorry, but I think the UK is the best argument against gun control since Nazi Germany. Oh wow, so instead of having a guy stick me up with a handgun I can get stabbed in the face repeatedly and without warning? Yeah, that's so much safer. :rolleyes:

Dirtbiker
10-23-2009, 2:20 PM
I think the British police are over-reacting, I mean guns are illegal in England so there shouldn't be any gun crime. :rolleyes:

Scratch705
10-23-2009, 2:25 PM
what i find funny was how they had all the bobbies wearing bullet resistant and knife resistant vests.

i mean i thought there were no guns in britian? why the need for bullet resistant vests? :rolleyes:

five.five-six
10-23-2009, 2:26 PM
meh, they get guns from the yanks

Ducman
10-23-2009, 2:28 PM
Yup, It's our fault, let's Dis arm America :rolleyes:

oldrifle
10-23-2009, 2:29 PM
what i find funny was how they had all the bobbies wearing bullet resistant and knife resistant vests.

i mean i thought there were no guns in britian? why the need for bullet resistant vests? :rolleyes:

Gun are still available, cuz guess what... criminals don't care if it's illegal... but you're also way more likely to get stabbed there. Typically when you mug someone with a gun, you just point it at them and they hand over their wallet. You don't really want to shoot them because it makes a big noise and attracts attention. So what they're doing over is just coming up behind people and stabbing them in the side to disable them. They they grab their wallet and run. Pretty much silent attack.

I really hate the UK. I used to think it was cool but it's the epitome of everything we don't want to be. Don't get me started on the cameras on every street corner watching for "antisocial" behavior.

U2BassAce
10-23-2009, 2:42 PM
When I was over in the UK earlier this Summer, England specifically, they marked the stripes on their LE cars different colors to show if they were armed or not.

I think Red meant armed and Blue striped unarmed.:eek:

E Pluribus Unum
10-23-2009, 3:01 PM
I think the British police are over-reacting, I mean guns are illegal in England so there shouldn't be any gun crime. :rolleyes:

They must have bought them from the United States and swam them across the ocean like Mexico.

nicki
10-23-2009, 3:13 PM
Well I hope the British are taking the time to train their officers how to shoot, especially close quarter with full autos.

Of course they could be semi auto only and maybe they have 10/30 mags like us and maybe bullet buttons too.:o

Wait till the cops screw up with a full auto by hitting an innnocent bystander with stray rounds, that will probably go over real well with the British public.

The British public is hysterically antigun, guess the body count will have to get sky high before they will change.

As Drowning pool says, let the bodies hit the floor.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO_QntXc-c4[

Nicki

acolytes
10-23-2009, 3:25 PM
When I was over in the UK earlier this Summer, England specifically, they marked the stripes on their LE cars different colors to show if they were armed or not.

:rofl2: The silliness keeps coming with those Brits.

five.five-six
10-23-2009, 3:37 PM
Well I hope the British are taking the time to train their officers how to shoot, especially close quarter with full autos.

Of course they could be semi auto only and maybe they have 10/30 mags like us and maybe bullet buttons too.:o

Wait till the cops screw up with a full auto by hitting an innnocent bystander with stray rounds, that will probably go over real well with the British public.

The British public is hysterically antigun, guess the body count will have to get sky high before they will change.

As Drowning pool says, let the bodies hit the floor.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO_QntXc-c4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sO_QntXc-c4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nicki

FTFY :)

FastFinger
10-23-2009, 3:41 PM
Lol. Won't somebody think of the children?
I appreciate that MSNBC would even host a story like this, but it still irritates the heck out of me that they write the story with no editorializing or discussion of how this applies to the gun control debate. Whereas if a store owner in New Jersey shoots some robber they manage to spin it into a parable about how owning a gun is asking for trouble. :sarcasm:

That's almost enough to lead a reasonable person to think that journalists have an anti-gun bias. Naw...couldn't be!

While reading the comments I noted a reference to another development in Britain that causes me to once again rejoice that we gave them the boot centuries ago... Yet another pain in the glass.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8217775.stm)

Dwight K. Schrute
10-23-2009, 4:11 PM
90% of ILLEGAL GUNS recovered in the UK are coming from America. There isn't enough gun control. Anyone, ANYONE can walk into a gun shop, go through the easy loopholes, hop on a ship, and arm criminals in the UK. THIS NEEDS TO STOP!

GaryV
10-23-2009, 4:12 PM
Something I've noticed recently, that popped up again in this article. Gun crime has been rising a lot in the UK for a while, but I can't find violent crime stats for the whole of the UK past 2002. After that, all you find, as was cited in this article, are stats for "England and Wales", with the traditionally higher crime areas of Scotland and Northern Ireland (also both parts of the the UK) removed. So how many gun deaths does the UK really have each year?

CalNRA
10-23-2009, 4:23 PM

:rofl:

Dark Paladin
10-23-2009, 4:26 PM
Why does this remind me of the movie Hot Fuzz?

Dwight K. Schrute
10-23-2009, 4:29 PM
Why does this remind me of the movie Hot Fuzz?

Because it was awesome?

yellowfin
10-23-2009, 4:51 PM
Do we even really have to isolate it to murders by firearm? Ones by blunt object and blade are just as deadly and just as preventable with defensive firearm use, so they should be included too.

blacksheep
10-23-2009, 5:08 PM

Correct, let's take Chicago as an example, guns are illegal so there are no gun crimes.
Just ask Dicky Daley.

jrr
10-23-2009, 5:26 PM
True nuff. But, more importantly the increase in gun crimes in the UK smashes the arguments often used to support broader bans, and used recently by Schwartzie in his 962 signing statement, that the increase is due to easy importation from other places. Not only is the UK an isolated island, but their neighbors are equally if not more anti gun than they are.

If Somali pirates can get guns and rocket launchers despite numerous international blockades of arms to the region, and despite the fact that they can't afford to buy food for their families, then how the heck does any logical person still believe that banning guns will keep them out of the hands of well organized criminal gangs with tons of drug cash?

Wonderwhippet
10-23-2009, 5:29 PM
Guns have been illegal for so long in the UK that most Brits cannot conceive of owning one. My cousin in London owned a registered shotgun and he forgot to renew his registration on the day it expired. The very next day a squad car with four Bobbies pulled up in front of his house, banged on the door, and confiscated his shotgun. Up until recent years bringing illegal weapons into Britain has been tightly controlled, but with the completion of the channel tunnel, guns are flowing into the country like never before in cars, trucks, and passenger trains. They are coming in from Europe and the East European countries. Also, people are flooding into the country from Poland, Romania, and other countries where guns seem to be easy to get. These people were tightly controlled while under Communism, and believe that guns and freedom are interconnected and that no government can prevent them from owning guns. I believe that the entire anti-gun culture will eventually collapse in England

jrr
10-23-2009, 5:30 PM
Oh, and yeah Hot Fuzz rocks! As does Shawn of the Dead. One minor, but kinda cool point of both movies is that they poke fun at the whole gun ban. In Fuzz they note that people in the country never gave up their guns, and have loads of them. And in Shawn the barkeeper openly keeps a Winchester rifle above his bar becasue he "has connections". lol

Striker87
10-23-2009, 7:32 PM
Here's a different perspective of the same event:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8321946.stm

1859sharps
10-23-2009, 7:47 PM
but, but if the UK has banned just about all guns, how can there be gun crime.... I am sooooo confused :confused:

bodger
10-23-2009, 10:18 PM

I heard they just outlawed steak knives or butter knives or anything sharp too. Or that could ever be sharp.

So, no more sharp thing crimes now that there is sharp thing control.

Gawd.

Kid Stanislaus
10-23-2009, 10:53 PM
It's, clearly, all America's fault.

Hey bulgron, let's not belabore the obvious!!:D

dantodd
10-23-2009, 11:33 PM
I heard they just outlawed steak knives or butter knives or anything sharp too. Or that could ever be sharp.

Gawd.

There was an article recently about a woman being carded to buy a pizza cutter. One of those rolling things. Have to be 18 to buy a sharp implement. Apparently you don't have to be 18 to be a member of parliament as they don't seem to be very sharp at all.

chuckles48
10-24-2009, 12:32 AM

I thought they had standard MP-5s, too. Turns out they've got single-shot-only versions. Basically an HK-94.

Manic Moran
10-24-2009, 1:18 PM
Don't read too much into this. You're talking about some dozen officers, who are already armed, they're just carrying them openly on patrol instead of in the boot of the car. It's not exactly a massive policy change.

It is to be noted that the last time the British police did this, Nottingham about five years ago, it lasted about six weeks. The RUC were routinely armed, but that was an unusual set of circumstances. Irish and British police are very proud of the fact that they don't need to routinely carry firearms to police the population. Interestingly, criminal elements tend to honour it and not shoot the police. It's partially a sort of honour code, and it's also partially because they know that whenever someone breaks that code, the full weight of the law comes down on them: They're small countries, they can't hide.

I think Red meant armed and Blue striped unarmed.

Er... no.

Red would be Diplomatic Protection Service subdivision of the Met. Red stripe would be Metropolitan Police. Blue/Yellow Battenberg would be City of London police.

Met (Armed)
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dsc05500.jpg

Met (Unarmed)
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dsc05470.jpg

City of London (Armed)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2738665114_2c730145f2.jpg

City of London (Unarmed)
http://img3.photographersdirect.com/img/13725/wm/pd911568.jpg

DPS (Unarmed)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2738538080_518d9edeb0.jpg

DPS (Armed)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2754493840_afb6c91fe4.jpg

Here endeth the lesson.

NTM

bodger
10-24-2009, 3:57 PM
So, am I reading this correctly? They have labeled their cars to show whether the occupying officers are armed or unarmed?

It reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live sketch where Belushi and Ackroyd flashed empty badge wallets, since they were the "Ex-Police".

Hoop
10-24-2009, 4:38 PM

Gawd.

They are talking about outlawing wine and beer glasses made of glass because glass has a high "Pointyness" potential...

England is a retard fest and the English know it. Something like 40% of the population would rather live in mainland Europe, which puts living in England in line with living in Ohio (40% of the population there wants to leave too).

The Director
10-24-2009, 4:56 PM
So let me get this straight....if you're armed, you get to also drive a real car. If you're unarmed, you get to drive the little econobox. How humiliating.

What do the unarmed cops do when in pursuit....yell "HALT! Or I'll yell halt again!"

Seesm
10-24-2009, 6:49 PM
Ahhh righty get guns legal for ALL UK citizens to own in the UK and WATCH crime WILL go down... Proven facts folks.

minuteman
10-24-2009, 7:21 PM
How did things get so backward seemingly so quickly?

bodger
10-25-2009, 5:53 PM
They are talking about outlawing wine and beer glasses made of glass because glass has a high "Pointyness" potential...

England is a retard fest and the English know it. Something like 40% of the population would rather live in mainland Europe, which puts living in England in line with living in Ohio (40% of the population there wants to leave too).

That's hilarious. I suppose if a man had a pointy nose, he'd have to get a permit to carry concealed if it was a cold day and he wrapped a scarf around it.

SAN compnerd
10-25-2009, 6:24 PM
Its a bit funny how the Bobbies have not needed guns for decades until the late 90's when the already restrictive gun laws were modified and a hand gun ban was put in place. After that, gun crime rose over 300% by 2005 and it even says in this article that it is up 17% in the last 12 months. Its always refreshing to see well written and thought out laws have their desired impact and make the public and the police more safe as evidenced by the fact that the Bobbies now need to carry guns. I am sure that we here in the US will hold up this great example of effectiveness and follow in their footsteps.

acolytes
10-25-2009, 6:54 PM
Why don't they just make crime illegal?:chris: