PDA

View Full Version : First Time CA Gun Buyer

DrCacklefanny
10-23-2009, 7:01 AM
Hello all,

I am a first-time gun buyer. I've grown up in CA all my life, but as everyone knows CA is not conducive to gun ownership so I have not been around guns or aware of gun ownership laws very much at all.

I'm in the military currently on Active Duty - it's piqued my interest in gun ownership. I wanted to get an AR-15 (or a similar variant, right now looking at STAG-15 M2) and a 1911 (narrowed down between Kimber or Springfield Armory, the latter I'm leaning towards due to cost), but I believe the STAG is wholly illegal in CA.

In short...where do I begin? I'm PCS'ing to MS very shortly, but I still have residency established in CA. All that's involved in being a gun owner in CA is simply confusing, but the more I research the more I get frustrated with CA's ridiculous laws and regulations. Nevertheless, I'd appreciate any comments or pointers.

Sinestr
10-23-2009, 7:19 AM
Both are great choices, check out the link, it should give you a good starting point to figuar out Ca laws.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

DrCacklefanny
10-23-2009, 8:24 AM
Thanks for the posting. Pretty informative, unfortunately the MAWP won't work for me, especially since I plan to separate and return to CA.

Sorry for the newb questions, but just because I have residency established in CA doesn't mean I have to go with a CA FFL, correct? What I'm getting at is can't I just go with a MS FFL, purchase from there, and return to CA with my firearms? I don't think the 1911 would be any problem beyond a bit more paperwork and money, but for the AR-15, shouldn't it be legal if I return with it disassembled, and never reassemble it unless I legalize it (ie no high capacity detachable mag, no threaded barrel, no pistol grip beyond the action, etc etc)?

It'll be great to have both in MS, but the 1911 should be sufficient enough (hopefully) that I can box up and put away the AR-15 once I return to CA. Thanks again for posting.

Sinestr
10-23-2009, 8:46 AM
If your CA resident the way I understand it you will not be able to purchase a firearm out of state. As for the Stag you spoke of that would be legal to purchase in CA, so long as you keep it configured right, ie = bullet butten and ten round mag. There are many FFL's on Cal Guns that sell CA compliant rifles.

The Director
10-23-2009, 8:46 AM
Yes, you're 100% right, disassemble the AR, break it down to it's smallest pieces (including fire control group) and NEVER assemble it in california. As a matter of fact, you must keep the magazines in a separate building than the rifle, and the lower must have a padlock through it and locked in a separate compartment.

HA! Just's shi**ing you man, what do you think this is....a prison camp?

Okay, here's the skinny. Within seconds, some one will post the Assault Weapons flowchart. Make sure whatever you buy is NOT on that list. STAG's are fine. I have two!

You'll have a couple different options:

1. A rifle with evil features: Meaning a pistol grip, flash hider, collapsible stock, etc. CAN OWN IT....but must have a magazine lock (do a search for bullet button) and no more than a 10 round mag.

2. A rifle with NO evil features, and a detachable magazine. This means NO pistol grip, flash hider, or collapsible stock. This means things like M1As, AR15 without the pistol grips (or a monsterman grip - look it up), and hi cap mags if you owned them prior to 2000.

Look around the forum. What you can own is actually pretty decent.

I'd say that just the Calguns members alone own tens of thousands of AR and AK type rifles, legally.

Enjoy, and thanks for your service!

Sinestr
10-23-2009, 8:55 AM
+1 for the Director
I have a hard time keeping up with my iPhone :)

wash
10-23-2009, 9:05 AM
I think there might be a standard capacity magazine exception for service men. You might need a letter from an officer or something. Read up on the text of the magazine ban law to find out. That might be a way for you to get high-cap magazines legally.

If you go with a bullet button gun, you'll have to use 10 round magazines but it's still a good idea to have standard capacity.

There is also a law enforcement exception for the AWB. I don't think it applies to armed forces but you never know, you might be one letter away from a RAW. Look it up.

Dr Rockso
10-23-2009, 9:38 AM
I think there might be a standard capacity magazine exception for service men. You might need a letter from an officer or something. Read up on the text of the magazine ban law to find out. That might be a way for you to get high-cap magazines legally.
There isn't.

There is also a law enforcement exception for the AWB. I don't think it applies to armed forces but you never know, you might be one letter away from a RAW. Look it up.
Only applies to active duty from out of state stationed in CA while they are on active duty in CA.

The Director
10-23-2009, 10:31 AM
You guys are scaring the **** out of me with your scary clown avatars.....damn, I hate clowns!

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Greg-Dawg
10-23-2009, 12:06 PM
You guys are scaring the **** out of me with your scary clown avatars.....damn, I hate clowns!

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Go watch Zombieland.

Sinestr
10-23-2009, 2:45 PM
Great movie.

SgtDinosaur
10-23-2009, 3:16 PM
Ok, as far as the AR goes concentrate on this: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf. You can have stuff in Missisippi that you will have to modify or get rid of once you move back here. If you don't buy a "listed" lower receiver you will be ok. You won't be able to use 10+ round mags here, but that's no big deal. Basically you'll buy some 10 rounders and install a bullet button and you're good to go.

No problems at all with the 1911. Just don't buy any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, which shouldn't be too much of a problem since the standard 1911 mag holds 7. When you get here you'll have to fill out a form to register your 1911 but that's no big deal either. Maybe by the time you get here our gun laws won't suck so much, but I'm not holding my breath.