PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding interstate transfer of a rostered handgun between family members.

Digital_Boy
10-22-2009, 7:08 PM
My brother will be shipping me a SW9VE Sigma 9MM (stainless slide) sans magazines.

At present, my current understanding leads me to believe that I need to have it shipped to a FFL holder with a photocopy of an official photo ID from him, and undergo a DROS, thus filling out a form 4473 and $60 fee.

However, upon reflection, I recalled that there is the voluntary registration form, and that it's usage is primarily to track firearms transfers between family members. Does that only apply for parents to children or granparents to grandchildren?

Could he instead gift it to my mother, who lives here in SD county, then she could gift it to me?

halifax
10-22-2009, 7:12 PM
My brother will be shipping me a SW9VE Sigma 9MM (stainless slide) sans magazines.

At present, my current understanding leads me to believe that I need to have it shipped to a FFL holder with a photocopy of an official photo ID from him, and undergo a DROS, thus filling out a form 4473 and $60 fee.

However, upon reflection, I recalled that there is the voluntary registration form, and that it's usage is primarily to track firearms transfers between family members. Does that only apply for parents to children or granparents to grandchildren?

Yes, any combination of parent/grandparent/child/grandchild

Could he instead gift it to my mother, who lives here in SD county, then she could gift it to me?

Yes along as it goes through a CA FFL to you mother.

Digital_Boy
10-22-2009, 7:15 PM
Yes, any combination of parent/grandparent/child/grandchild

Yes along as it goes through an CA FFL to you mother.

So she would fill out the Voluntary Registration form and send in the $19 to Sacto, then I fill one out later and do the same. Just wanting to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

halifax
10-22-2009, 7:25 PM
So she would fill out the Voluntary Registration form and send in the $19 to Sacto, then I fill one out later and do the same. Just wanting to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

No. The handgun to your mother must go to a CA FFL and all interstate transfer rules apply including DROS and 10 day wait. Then your mother can gift it to you using one of these REPORT OF OPERATION OF LAW OR INTRA-FAMILIAL HANDGUN TRANSACTION (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)

Digital_Boy
10-22-2009, 8:16 PM
Aaaaaaaah. I was hoping to avoid the $60 interstate fee that's normally charged. So I may as well go with the original plan and simply fill out the 4473 and do the 10 day wait, since if my mom does the transfer, it's $60, then $19 for the voluntary registration form.

Johnny?
10-22-2009, 10:26 PM
also don't his mother have to have a HSC inorder to recieve a handgun??

Digital_Boy
10-22-2009, 11:20 PM
also don't his mother have to have a HSC inorder to recieve a handgun??

snap! forgot about that.

halifax
10-23-2009, 3:50 AM
Stick with your original plan. No need to involve you mother. Of course, you've figured that out by now.

bsim
10-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Brother to brother off list transfer is a no-no.

halifax
10-24-2009, 5:39 PM
Brother to brother off list transfer is a no-no.

Yes, but the SW9VE is on the list?