PDA

View Full Version : Need some fact checks

Oldnoob
10-22-2009, 7:11 PM
I was on my facebook and someone post a causes link about Thank Our Soldiers. And few people were commenting and as usual one thing leads to another it turned into a piss fight about Obama on Afghanistan policy. One of them post this:

Fact one. Bush invaded Afghanistan. Then declared war with Irac over WMD's and imaginary information over Sadam's involvement with Osama Bin Laden, starting two wars on two fronts. To make Irac look better support was taken away from Afghanistan to Irac even though advisers stated that fighting on two fronts is not the greatest thing on an economy or for success.

Fact two. This president has been in office less than 10 months and have done more to repair both international and U.N. relations. As far as I can tell, every fight that the US could walk away from has been supported by U.N. support. Something that Bush alienated and even caused many to wonder if the US has become imperialistic.

Fact Three. Cost. There is very little support for veterans returning due to the previous administration. From soldiers on psychological mediation while on tour to lack of resources for soldiers returning and adapting to everyday life. The cost of the war not only has a price for war time materials,something which we seen with Halliburton but also for benefits for death, injury, and psychological cost of the war that affects everyone even if they know no one who is serving. Something to think about with an economy hurting and a surplus lost 8 years ago.

Fact four. Afghanistan is not Obama's war. This started a long time ago with the Regan administration and training Afgan rebels to fight against Russian occupation. Money, training, and weapons support was given to train Afghan rebels, including Osama Bin Laden. Afterward the Soviet government left from Afghanistan the CIA pulled out and left a shattered government which later became the Taliban. So, Obama's war? No, as of now it's going to be a war that will always make the Muslim world doubt any good will and support belief that America is the great Satan.

GrizzlyGuy
10-22-2009, 7:16 PM
Fact: Iraq is spelled "Iraq" and not "Irac" like the "fact" provider spelled it. :rolleyes: :D

woodsman
10-22-2009, 7:27 PM
When the ruskies were in Afghanistan and they were getting weapons from us I remember a news clip of a Mujahideen coming out of a mud hut with a shoulder held stinger rocket launcher and shooting down a helicopter. At that time we were rooting for the Afghans.

The Russians must be laughing at this turn of events. Who knows, they may possibly be supplying them weapons as well.

Codelphious
10-22-2009, 7:38 PM
If you want to argue with this guy, point to the Constitution. Article 1 Section 8: "The Congress shall have power... To declare war"

Every war following WWII has been unconstitutional. I have contempt for any president that violates the Constitution in such a blatant fashion. Sure, Obama didn't send the troops there himself (even though he voted to fund the war), but he sure as hell isn't doing anything about bringing them home.

If you fell asleep in 1880 and woke up today, you'd swear we were slaves to tyrants.

hawk84
10-22-2009, 7:48 PM
pretty much the guy is correct

B Strong
10-22-2009, 7:48 PM
"Fact Four" is indisputable, but taking someone seriously that can't even bother to correctly spell the name of the country under discussion seems to be a waste of energy.