PDA

View Full Version : Vetoed!

tvfreakarms
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm glad that our terminator governor vetoed senate bill 585.

10-54
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Yep not a bad concession

mtptwo
10-22-2009, 1:33 PM
Yeah, too bad he screwed everyone else.

KylaGWolf
10-22-2009, 2:24 PM
Yep not a bad concession

Not a bad concession?!?!?!? How do you figure. Now for us to legally buy ammo you will have to one show your ID have it copied and fingerprinted EVERY SINGLE TIME you buy ammo. This means you go to the range, buy ammo then realize you want to shoot more but your out you will have to do so a SECOND time. How is this a good concession. Nevermind the fact that this type of thing had been tried before and proved to be a dismal failure.

I also find it funny the state is going to give LA now money to build a freaking new football stadium to try to woo a team there. This is when the state had to cut funding to things such as education and medical services to keep the state afloat?

I would have rather seen AB585 signed over AB962 if I would have had to choose one that had to be signed. Rumor has it the Cowpalace is going to be sold anyways so the impact if true would have been minimal compared to AB962.

nhanson
10-22-2009, 2:32 PM
I'm not happy with Arnie however, politics being politics........he could have signed it knowing that it violated Federal statutes and would be tossed out anyway so, he traded a signature for something else. Mean while we (the people) get to pay the freight on the ensuing court battle getting 962 tossed.......maybe CGF should solicit Arnie for a personal donation to the court fight?

Cokebottle
10-22-2009, 2:37 PM
It also bans mail-order ammunition sales, so if local shops are empty, and Cabelas has a sale on 1000rd boxes for $150, we're not only SOL, we're screwed on pricing as well.

10-54
10-22-2009, 2:50 PM
Hey kyla... I forgot to insert my "sarcasm" smiley. Funny how lack of parentheses or smiley face can get you flamed. You and I are on the same page except the "Id rather" school of thought. Hypothetically being forced to choose between the lesser of two evils doesn't help us either. IMHO ;)

halifax
10-22-2009, 2:51 PM
... Rumor has it the Cowpalace is going to be sold anyways so the impact if true would have been minimal compared to AB962.

Yep, and in the not too distant future. I suspect he knew that.

wash
10-22-2009, 2:55 PM
585 was designed to kill the Cow Palace's cash flow so that it could be sold.

Legasat
10-22-2009, 3:30 PM
One step forward, two steps back for Arnie.

cdtx2001
10-22-2009, 5:36 PM
Cabellas is only a few miles on the other side of the CA border in NV. Also, there's a place just as big in Sparks that I forget the name of.

acelefty
10-22-2009, 5:52 PM
Cabellas is only a few miles on the other side of the CA border in NV. Also, there's a place just as big in Sparks that I forget the name of.

Scheels. That is a heck of a store.

Cokebottle
10-22-2009, 6:19 PM
I'm going to have to re-read the bill.
I thought there was something about importation as well, but maybe not.

bodger
10-22-2009, 7:38 PM
I'm going to have to re-read the bill.
I thought there was something about importation as well, but maybe not.

Not yet. But DeLeon will no doubt soon be harping about the "ammunition loophole" that allows CA gunnies to travel to free states and bring back all the ammo they want.

No worries, AB962 won't hold against the interstate commerce challenge. We'll beat them on this.

Cokebottle
10-22-2009, 8:11 PM
Not yet. But DeLeon will no doubt soon be harping about the "ammunition loophole" that allows CA gunnies to travel to free states and bring back all the ammo they want.
There's got to be an "environmental loophole" that he's using to get around the new "Global Warming" regs that allows him to continue to spew his flatulence in Sacramento.

odysseus
10-22-2009, 8:12 PM
Sorry if I don't feel so warm and fuzzy about this honor.

randy
10-23-2009, 1:27 AM
When Arnie shows up to shoot at the local ranges I hope they run him off!!!!!!!!

MRpink
10-23-2009, 2:05 AM
Not a bad concession?!?!?!? How do you figure. Now for us to legally buy ammo you will have to one show your ID have it copied and fingerprinted EVERY SINGLE TIME you buy ammo. This means you go to the range, buy ammo then realize you want to shoot more but your out you will have to do so a SECOND time. How is this a good concession. Nevermind the fact that this type of thing had been tried before and proved to be a dismal failure.

I also find it funny the state is going to give LA now money to build a freaking new football stadium to try to woo a team there. This is when the state had to cut funding to things such as education and medical services to keep the state afloat?

I would have rather seen AB585 signed over AB962 if I would have had to choose one that had to be signed. Rumor has it the Cowpalace is going to be sold anyways so the impact if true would have been minimal compared to AB962.

exactly.

forgiven
10-23-2009, 6:41 PM
When Arnie shows up to shoot at the local ranges I hope they run him off!!!!!!!!

:iagree:

tvfreakarms
10-24-2009, 3:30 AM
So what is up with the bill ab962?

forgiven
10-24-2009, 11:30 PM
You know I wish the predator would of won.

CenterX
10-24-2009, 11:34 PM
The dude has taken too mannnny Steroids!

CenterX
10-24-2009, 11:36 PM

I have it from sources local to reno that they have been dry for ammo for the past 12 months as well. So, drive all day for empty shelves - we can all hope the person answering the phones will be honest - and there is ammo that we desire.

TonyM
10-25-2009, 3:57 AM
I have it from sources local to reno that they have been dry for ammo for the past 12 months as well. So, drive all day for empty shelves - we can all hope the person answering the phones will be honest - and there is ammo that we desire.

Your sources are not accurate.

I went to Cabelas and Scheels late in the summer and they had plenty of ammo available. Pricing still wasn't great, but they had it.

At the beginning of this month I was in Arizona and all four of the WalMarts I went to showed no signs of an ammo shortage and the prices were the normal WalMart pricing. Not even any signs limiting how much you could buy.

Some areas are not seeing the panic purchases and hoarding. Reno may be a different situation when the Big Show is happening as the California people will be flocking to the area, but during a normal weekend I don't think there's much of a problem until 02/2011 (unless AB962 gets overturned). After that time, you might have to drive a little deeper into NV until things settle down again.

rrr70
10-25-2009, 4:33 AM
No worries, AB962 won't hold against the interstate commerce challenge. We'll beat them on this.

Can we beat that POS De Leon instead?:D

DeanW66
10-25-2009, 9:25 AM

Sure, it will get defeated - but why should we need to spend $ to get it defeated it should never have passed in the first place.

And no I don't feel any better having ranted :(.

bodger
10-25-2009, 4:50 PM
Can we beat that POS De Leon instead?:D

The only way we're going to beat DeLeon and others like him that are currently serving or will serve in the future is by voting them out.

But honestly, that's starting to look like an impossibility in this state. Anti-gun politicians get elected here, and those that are friendly to gun rights don't. Not in the heavily populated areas anyway.

So what can we do about that? I suggested a campaign to try to register more gunnies to vote. Seems like a hard thing to accomplish.

Sure, it will get defeated - but why should we need to spend $ to get it defeated it should never have passed in the first place.

And no I don't feel any better having ranted :(.

I feel your pain. I've ranted like hell and then that SOB Arnie came to my city to have a public signing party with Deleon and a bunch of Brady hags.

Cokebottle
10-25-2009, 5:07 PM
I suggested a campaign to try to register more gunnies to vote. Seems like a hard thing to accomplish.
That's what surprises me.
Historically, conservatives are more likely to register and more likely to show up, especially in the off-year "minor" elections. A low voter turnout has always been good for conservative candidates.

But look at the Davis recall... even with a fairly high turnout, over 60% voted against Davis (combining Benedict Arnold's votes with McClintock's).
The majority of Californian's are not left-wing liberals.

But we have a PR problem when it comes to RKBA. People who are otherwise conservative do not see the "need" for RKBA, so it is not an issue that they look at seriously when selecting a candidate to support. We are viewed as "right wing gun nuts" by the majority of the populace. I face the same issue as a motorcycle enthusiast. I ride a metric cruiser, but people assume that it's a Harley, and they extend that to assume that I am in a motorcycle "gang". If I rode a sportbike, I would be lumped in with the "squids" who wheelie down the freeway.
A highly visible minority casts a bad light on the responsible majority, and this is not helped by the news media and Hollywood.
We have to keep our noses clean, heads high, and remain FIRMLY on the safe side of the law so as not to give opponents ammunition to use against us.

Also, witness the Brown/Whittman thread. Brown has always been a hardcore SF liberal, yet many are unaware that he has shown support for incorporation. As stated in that thread, too many people look at the "D" or the "R" and presume to know the candidates' views on particular issues based upon that.

I'm not a fan of Brown, particularly in light of his environmentalist views, and I had planned to once again go Libertarian should the race come down to him and Meg, but I'm beginning to change my views thanks to the good people of this forum.
Now how to tell my folks that I may actually vote for a Demo... Demo... I can't say it ;)

USAFTS
10-25-2009, 6:08 PM
There's got to be an "environmental loophole" that he's using to get around the new "Global Warming" regs that allows him to continue to spew his flatulence in Sacramento.

The white house has reopened a study on the "Health effects of owning a gun" so maybe the fact that we are driving much farther and more often to purchase our ammunition out of state, our carbon footprint is going to grow to a level that is unhealthy for the planet and its citizens.

<Sarcasm Intended>

10-54
10-25-2009, 6:38 PM
I went to scheels this weekend. There is definitely no shortage of ammo. They just received a butt load of primers too!

dantodd
10-25-2009, 9:27 PM
The white house has reopened a study on the "Health effects of owning a gun"

Maybe they should do a study on the "Health effects of being unarmed in a home invasion."

bodger
10-26-2009, 7:56 AM
Maybe they should do a study on the "Health effects of being unarmed in a home invasion."

I was at a party the other night in the Hollywood Hills. The owner of the house was a young entrepreneur. The subject turned to gun ownership. The general concensus amongst the group was that guns are evil, and unnecessary and all the usual anti talk.

I laid low for the most part during the conversation. But I finally chimed in and told the owner of the house that I find it a bit ironic that he is against the RTKB, yet has a sign in his front yard that was placed by his private security and alarm company that states "Armed Response".
I asked the following:
Do you not trust in the ability of the LAPD to respond quickly if you are in need of protection?

Do you realize that this private company you have hired to respond with a gun are private citizens and not law enforcement and would no doubt be hindered by the type of strict gun laws you advocate?

You don't believe that you or me or anyone else should have the right to protect and defend yourself with a firearm, but you believe you should have the right to hire someone else to do it for you?

These people just don't get it, and these are the same people who will vote for a candidate who is anti-gun.

Quser.619
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I just drove back from Boise to San Diego, via Reno & picked tons of ammo via Walmarts. The Cabela's in Reno was pretty well stocked as well, but I preferred Walmart's prices for plinking ammo

Americal
10-27-2009, 1:57 AM

Just to correct this the state is not going to give LA any money, no tax payer dollars will be used to fund Los Angeles Stadium. This is a private billionaire's great idea. The Majestic group will be getting private investor funding for the whole project and bringing a football team to LA is going to open up over 18,000 jobs and bring almost a billion dollars a year through it. Which will generate A LOT of tax dollars which will in terms come back to the education system and such. Arnie didnt sign anything that is going to hurt the public just giving his OK for the project to continue.

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 3:25 AM
Just to correct this the state is not going to give LA any money, no tax payer dollars will be used to fund Los Angeles Stadium. This is a private billionaire's great idea. The Majestic group will be getting private investor funding for the whole project and bringing a football team to LA is going to open up over 18,000 jobs and bring almost a billion dollars a year through it. Which will generate A LOT of tax dollars which will in terms come back to the education system and such. Arnie didnt sign anything that is going to hurt the public just giving his OK for the project to continue.
Are they also going to reimburse CalTrans for the improvements that will be needed on the 60/57 interchange to handle the additional traffic (which is already snarled from 2pm to 7pm for as far as 10 miles south and west)?
Are they going to compensate the local residents who will have to deal with this traffic and their lost hours and productivity who really don't give a damn if LA has a football team? 99% of us are not going to see a single dime of the billions spent, and after the construction is done, all it is going to bring will be traffic, crime, and minimum-wage service jobs.

Americal
10-27-2009, 3:57 AM
Are they also going to reimburse CalTrans for the improvements that will be needed on the 60/57 interchange to handle the additional traffic (which is already snarled from 2pm to 7pm for as far as 10 miles south and west)?
Are they going to compensate the local residents who will have to deal with this traffic and their lost hours and productivity who really don't give a damn if LA has a football team? 99% of us are not going to see a single dime of the billions spent, and after the construction is done, all it is going to bring will be traffic, crime, and minimum-wage service jobs.

I just simply stated that the taxpayers will not be paying for the building of the new stadium (zero taxpayer dollars to the building of the stadium). No they are not going to reimburse CalTrans or anything like that. What you dont understand is you say that 99% of us arent going to see a dime of the billions, if the football team is bringing in one billion dollars in revenue a year you think that you will see none of that. There is still something called taxes that will have to be paid according to revenue to the city and the state. So everyone in California will see some of that money back whether its used to improve streets, more money for schools, or any other tax money funded projects. You also forget about the amount of money that will be brought into local businesses. Its not gonna severely affect productivity with NFL games being played on Sundays business traffic and commuter traffic shouldnt be severely affected of course there will be the occasional Monday night game which are after business hours but will affect 1-2 days out of the year. If you think that all its going to bring is minimum wage service jobs then you don't understand what it really takes to upkeep a football stadium it is going to bring a lot of jobs to the local area on top of the thousands of service jobs as well. Anyways what is wrong with service jobs there is no things as increased employment opportunities I have yet to see the general public complain about employment increase. I think if LA could get a football team with no taxpayer money that would be great.

Cokebottle
10-27-2009, 4:19 AM
You also forget about the amount of money that will be brought into local businesses.
Have you seen the businesses in the area?
There's a reason it's called the City of Industry. Yes, they finally opened up a small shopping center, but the city is primarily a bunch of industrial complexes along the railroad tracks and a few fast food places.
Drawing people into the area isn't going to do squat for most of these businesses. It's not like the Anaheim Stadium which is in the center of a densely populated area with a lot of retail around it.
Its not gonna severely affect productivity with NFL games being played on Sundays business traffic and commuter traffic shouldnt be severely affected of course there will be the occasional Monday night game which are after business hours but will affect 1-2 days out of the year.
Next Saturday or Sunday afternoon, head out the 60 east from the 605, then pull a u-turn at the 71 and go back through that area and tell me how light traffic is.
That interchange is jammed 7 days a week.

And as was pointed out in a different thread, football games won't be the only use of the stadium. There will be concerts and other events that will hurt traffic on weeknights (and concentrate DUI incidents).
jobs as well. Anyways what is wrong with service jobs there is no things as increased employment opportunities I have yet to see the general public complain about employment increase.
Service jobs don't even pay rent, much less a mortgage in this area.
What increasing service jobs will do is increase the sub-culture of multiple families living in one home, which creates parking problems for the neighbors and sanitation issues for the neighbors and the city.

We need increased employment opportunities, but what we need is for the state to reverse recent decisions that have driven business out of California and to make moves to bring large companies with decent salaries back in.
I was laid off in June. A stadium project might provide my former company with enough work to keep one tech busy for 5-10 days. That's not going to get my job back, and it's not going to save the job of one of the 3 guys that are still there.

Look at the area around the Colosseum and tell me that the stadium has been good for the folks who live near there.
Ya, there hasn't been a football team based there in quite a while, but I grew up in Whittier in the 60s and used to visit the museum of Science and Industry on a fairly regular basis, and I worked and made deliveries in the area in the early 80s. That area has NEVER been an area where I would go at night, or drive through with my doors unlocked.

chris
10-27-2009, 5:06 AM
I'm glad that our terminator governor vetoed senate bill 585.

Yep not a bad concession

Yeah, too bad he screwed everyone else.

yeah a minority of people get to enjoy a gun show at the Cow Palace the rest of us get royally screwed when we buy ammo. this is no concession it's a butt reaming to the 10th degree. neither bill should have passed period.

rrr70
10-27-2009, 6:42 AM
yeah a minority of people get to enjoy a gun show at the Cow Palace the rest of us get royally screwed when we buy ammo. this is no concession it's a butt reaming to the 10th degree. neither bill should have passed period.

Just wait for DeLeon to introduce a bill banning gun shows in OC.