PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit brought by former Sheriff’s Lt. Bill Hunt thrown out.

U2BassAce
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Interesting.

http://crime.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/22/carona-rivals-lawsuit-thrown-out/6619/

Carona rival’s lawsuit thrown out
October 22nd, 2009, 10:33 am · 11 Comments · posted by Rachanee Srisavasdi
A lawsuit brought by former sheriff’s Lt. Bill Hunt against ex-sheriff Mike Carona — which went to trial last week in Los Angeles — was thrown out this morning by a federal judge who granted Carona’’s motion to dismiss the entire case.

U.S. District Judge Margaret Morrow ruled that in light of the jury’s findings on questions posed to them about Hunt’s role in the department, Hunt was deemed to be a department policymaker, according to the county’s lawyer, Norman Watkins.

“The jury’s findings were consistent with the evidence,” Watkins said. “I think the court made the right call.”

Hunt declined to comment.

The judge also decided that Carona is entitled to ‘qualified immunity,” which shields public officials from liability for the violation of an individual’s constitutional rights in some cases, Watkins said.

Hunt unsuccessfully ran against Carona for sheriff in 2006. After Carona won the election, he demoted Hunt — then a lieutenant who oversaw San Clemente police services — to a deputy position. Carona and the county reasoned Hunt’s criticisms of Carona’s administration during the campaign violated department policy.

Rather than take the demotion, Hunt resigned and sued, alleging his criticism of Carona was protected under the First Amendment. The county argued that Hunt’s criticism was not protected speech because Hunt, as a member of Carona’s executive team who was running for office, was subject to termination.

The jury –which began deliberating the case yesterday — was sent home, and judgment entered in favor of Carona.

bigcalidave
10-22-2009, 1:00 PM
They took qualified immunity for his demoting Hunt after the election? Wow... That's a stretch.

Hanniballs
10-22-2009, 1:20 PM
Such BS.

wash
10-22-2009, 1:22 PM
This sounds like a bad precedent. If we can get the right people working on this and they think they can do some legal good with an appeal, I would support it with some $$.

Meplat
10-24-2009, 2:11 AM
Run against the boss, get waked. Give me a break.

Brianguy
10-24-2009, 2:33 AM
Don't challenge the boss eh. I'm voting Hunt for Sheriff:D

"The judge also decided that Carona is entitled to “qualified immunity,” which shields public officials from liability for the violation of an individual’s constitutional rights in some cases, Watkins said." So which rights are they allowed to violate?? That's BS.

halifax
10-24-2009, 3:02 AM
Run against the boss, get waked. Give me a break.

If it were a privately owned company, I'd have no problem with that statement. Everyone, who is not a felon, has a right to run for public office if they meet the qualifications. No public official should be able to retaliate against another who is exercising their rights.

glbtrottr
10-24-2009, 7:20 AM
Hunt showed poor judgement and sued the county where he now wants a job....and lost. How many of you are employed by an employer that you sued? Who would want to continue working for an employer that you believe aggrieved you? What kind of precedent would that set? How much of a distraction to your job would the employer/voters / Board of Supervisors think i would be?

I may have liked Bill once, but the public will not vote for him. They will see it as a "boys will be boys" wanker measuring exercise and move past him. The girls will vote to keep a girl in office, unless there is a candidate that is so much more compelling than she is, or unless she massively missteps.

Bill Hunt is not that compelling individual. Many see him as a smooth talking used car sales guy. We may like his stance on RKBA and virtual shall issue, but unlike his political team who aims to paint him as a crusader, he will split the CCW vote, and voters will run away from him.

He's certainly a friend of the cause, but I don't see him as being electable. He's too closely tied to things the County wants to forget about...which is why Sandy was appointed, however crappy a choice that was.

I commend the work of SafeOC. It just continues to appear as though they picked the wrong candidate.

Incidentally...

...when HUNT was the Station Chief he had full authority to issue CCW's.

Why didn't he issue any?

As a guy who ran a 56 person detachment, what qualifies him to run the 7th largest Police Department?