PDA

View Full Version : Do I get a discount for that?

freakshow10mm
10-22-2009, 9:53 AM
People are so cheap these days. I'm a member of AARP, do I get a discount? I bought a case of your [cheapest] ammo, do I get a discount on a gun purchase? I'm in the military, do I get a discount on my transfer? I'm a member, do I get a discount? If I buy 2 boxes of ammo can I get a discount? Your mom gave me a BJ in high school, do I get a discount?

Seriously. It bugs me. Hear it all day, every day. With all the discounts I [i]should be giving, I guess people think I'm in the discount business.

Just venting. Anyone else bombarded with discount requests or am I just a magnet for cheapskates?

bballwizard05
10-22-2009, 9:59 AM
I can see how that would be upsetting... but I dont always think it can be chalked up to being cheap. I work in child-care and a big thing is to "train" the child in the very beggining of the year so they know the system and rules throughout. Look at how many places DO offer a discount for some of the things you mention AARP or any insurance, military discounts, buy two get a third half off, kind of thing (prolly not the BJ one). Anyways places like hotels, restuarants, gas stations, even some clothing strores. Yes some people are cheap, but if your not always looking for a way to save a buck then your not a smart buyer. That said though I can see how it would be annoying to hear that all day, but I guess its just part of being in sales...

freonr22
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
My brother was selling an item @ the flea market. it was $1.00. some one came up to him and offered .50. he took it threw it on the ground, smashed it with his boot and said "here, you can have it for free".

I did an estimate for someone 30 days ago. It was $2300 using biodegradeable, USDA, NSF approved chemical, not the Hydrocloric acid some people use for getting rid of scale deposits. It is a food place + you arent supposed to put used acid down the sewer drain when done. He called and said "boy, I really need it done, Can you offer a discount?" I says ok, I can use the work, I will knock $5/hr off the labor and discount the material 5%, so it ended up being $2150. He has called 3 times to ask for a lower price.... I will not do the job at all now because I fear he wont pay me or be satisfied. NEXT.

Super Spy
10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I've been in sales before and pretty much everybody is looking for a deal. I also know that sometimes asking for a discount is all it takes to save 10-20% off of something. I've complained that rental car prices were too high and got 50% off. Once you get a discount on something you tend to ask again next time.

Don't take it personal, just realize everybody is scraping by these days and is looking for an opportunity to save a buck or make a buck.

I get annoyed by all the gouging I see, but that's the way business works. I do remember and appreciate it when I see someone with fair prices when everyone else is gouging.

freakshow10mm
10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I rely on the broken window theory for my pricing and so far it seems to be working. I have turned down an easy sale simply because it violated my theory. Same theory high end bars use to control their clientele.

Hozr
10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm converting oxygen to Carbon Dioxide thus keeping the trees green - Do I get a discount?

bruceflinch
10-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Gee, I never looked at the FFL Forum before...:o

People are cheap these days, probably get worse before it's better....

Next time someone asks for a discount, Smile & say, "Sorry discounts only apply on the second Tuesday of the week." ..:D

freakshow10mm
10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I had some chick in here for a transfer. Kind of cute. I probably would.

Price is $20. She asked if I give discounts for "hot single women". I said "I sure do. Twenty dollars please."

CaliforniaHunter
10-22-2009, 1:05 PM
Good respones, also don't forget that Corporations are defacto TRAINING people to ask or try and get the discount.

Ralph's grocery store - go in there and buy something, it's an arm and a leg. They have those those damn discount clubs, cards things, they usuakky ask you for it, put that in and suddenly it can be like 25-30 % cheaper.

Basically people are accustomed to getting reamed, screwed, cheated, taken advantage of if THEY DON'T ASK FOR THE DISCOUNT.

That is just our society these days.

Just tell them you did include the discount. That's the lowest price available.

Best

bruceflinch
10-22-2009, 2:12 PM

Price is $20. She asked if I give discounts for "hot single women". I said "I sure do. Twenty dollars please."

So I guess you are a happily married man! :D

freakshow10mm
10-22-2009, 2:35 PM
Married, yes.

cgseanp1
10-22-2009, 2:44 PM
So, it's wrong for Military guys to inquire about military discounts?

professionalcoyotehunter
10-22-2009, 2:47 PM
Just mark everything up 10% and then give them 10% off.

billslugg
10-22-2009, 4:21 PM
I am strictly a service business. (sharpening, smithing) I keep my prices low all the time. I do not do "sales". I give 1 year written notice on price increases. I round all invoices off to the next lowest dollar. The only discounts I give are the ones I initiate. If anyone asks for a discount prior to the work being done, I tell them it is already in there. Anybody who complains about the price of work already done is asked what they think it is worth. I charge them that amount and then tell then to never come here again and that if they cannot trust me to price my work properly then we do not have a relationship based on trust therefore we should not do business.

rbetts
10-22-2009, 5:27 PM
I give a 10 round magazine for a referral and price the lowest in town. When people ask for an even lower discount, I tell them that the discount is in the price. If you want something besides that, you need to refer me business. After about the third or fourth transaction, I feel that a RELATIONSHIP has been developed and am more willing to throw something in. But never a discount. Hey everyone needs a wonder tool right??

freakshow10mm
10-22-2009, 6:01 PM
So, it's wrong for Military guys to inquire about military discounts?
They can inquire all they want. They will get the same answer.

I give discounts to two classes of customers: LE agencies and wholesale.

Wholesale by, well it's wholesale. Self explanatory.

LE agencies I discount off my retail price to make their budget stretch farther. They are tight as it is and it helps them to save on ammo so they can spend money on other resources that are more important. Body armor, vehicle training, etc. I allow individual officers to purchase at agency pricing provided they have a letter from there department on letterhead. This is for duty training ammo, not weekend fun ammo. I supply a state LE agency bureau in Mississippi with training ammo for one of their tactical teams. The state doesn't have the budget for them this quarter to train. So the commander of the unit spend $1500 of his personal money to get some .223 and .40 ammo so his guys could train.

Why should I give a military member a discount? Why do they deserve a discount over anyone else? It's a volunteer force.

There's a big difference between a stateside NG wanting to buy a G17 and an in country grunt whose unit can't get him an ACOG or an extra BCG in the field. Sure I'll probably hook him up. My little bro is wearing tan right now.

But to save money simply because you are doing something that hundreds of thousands did before you without asking for a discount? If you joined the military for the discounts, you're in the wrong line of work.

chickenfried
10-22-2009, 6:03 PM
Why not worse you can say is no.

lazyworm
10-22-2009, 6:05 PM
I know you're venting... you just need thicker skin. In this economy,
people are going to ask anyways, even though they don't expect any.
I doubt you're going to lose any business when you say no. Just say
"Sorry, no discount" and move on.

sspen003
10-22-2009, 6:35 PM
I deff know where your coming from FreakShow, but you shouldnt get mad that people ask for discount. Money is tight these days and consumers are just trying to stretch every dollar they can.

As lazy worm said, you not loosing business, and you should be happy that people are visiting your website/store. Having people know about your company is the most essential part of business.

Dont get mad/frustrated at customers infront of customers btw. It doesnt make much sense

freakshow10mm
10-22-2009, 7:03 PM
I suppose.

I look at asking for discounts as an insult to my prices. I'm selling a case of 9mm reloads for $225. Seriously? A discount? Is my price not good enough for you? Are you too good for my prices?

Just knee jerk I suppose.

I'm pissed at Google Adwords. I got like 6,000 unique visitors this last 2 weeks and it cost me $250 in advertising I didn't have the money to spend .:(

smokingloon
10-22-2009, 11:08 PM

LE agencies I discount off my retail price to make their budget stretch farther. They are tight as it is and it helps them to save on ammo so they can spend money on other resources that are more important. Body armor, vehicle training, etc. I allow individual officers to purchase at agency pricing provided they have a letter from there department on letterhead. This is for duty training ammo, not weekend fun ammo. I supply a state LE agency bureau in Mississippi with training ammo for one of their tactical teams. The state doesn't have the budget for them this quarter to train. So the commander of the unit spend $1500 of his personal money to get some .223 and .40 ammo so his guys could train.

Why should I give a military member a discount? Why do they deserve a discount over anyone else? It's a volunteer force.

There's a big difference between a stateside NG wanting to buy a G17 and an in country grunt whose unit can't get him an ACOG or an extra BCG in the field. Sure I'll probably hook him up. My little bro is wearing tan right now.

But to save money simply because you are doing something that hundreds of thousands did before you without asking for a discount? If you joined the military for the discounts, you're in the wrong line of work.

I understand that you are just venting but I just want to point out that LE is also voluntary. At least with LE, you can resign whenever you please without much recourse. Enlisted military members do not have that option. Plus most of their gear is from the lowest bidder and often difficult to get a letter head from their supervisor for pretty much any gear that isn't issued.

Rule .308
10-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Being as I run my own business too I know a guy needs to vent about this crap from time to time. If it is not cheap grinding customers trying to devaluate your skills and time it is the government that wants you to collect their sales tax for free and then you get to spend your time and money doing it and everytime someone swipes a card you loose 2-3% on the whole ticket, including the sales tax!!! Burns my ***** bad.

Military? My heart goes out to them, they've made the conscious decision to protect this country, take the fight to them so they are not over here. Are they volunteer? Not like your typical LEO is.

If there is a margin in there and you can afford it, do so, if not then do not.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-22-2009, 11:41 PM
So many places offer discounts now to so many groups and for so many different reasons that a buyer is going to feel like a real chump if he doesn't at least ask and it turns out you would have given him a discount. Just smile and say "Sorry, but I offer the same low prices to everybody." Your customers don't know how you were raised. They don't know that you consider it offensive to ask for a discount. I used to be embarrassed to haggle on prices at gun shows. Then one of my friends made fun of me for always paying the asking price. So I started making counter offers of 20% below asking price and most of the time the sellers either agree or offer to drop the price by 10%. It's the way business has been done for 10,000 years. Get over it or get out of the retail business.

freakshow10mm
10-23-2009, 5:43 AM
I understand that you are just venting but I just want to point out that LE is also voluntary. At least with LE, you can resign whenever you please without much recourse. Enlisted military members do not have that option. Plus most of their gear is from the lowest bidder and often difficult to get a letter head from their supervisor for pretty much any gear that isn't issued.
The military has a much larger budget than a small village PD. The military pretty much gets what it wants.

LE agencies have very strict budgets which are often in the red.

The military gets all the ammo they want. LE gets what they can when they can get it.

sspen003
10-23-2009, 8:25 AM
The military has a much larger budget than a small village PD. The military pretty much gets what it wants.

LE agencies have very strict budgets which are often in the red.

The military gets all the ammo they want. LE gets what they can when they can get it.

Hmm law enforcement buy police cars, handguns, a few assault rifles, shotguns, and maybe a helicopter.

The military buy Assualt rifles by the millions, handguns, shotguns, humvees, tanks, LAV's, Badass Helicopters, Jets, battleships, carriers, transport ships and planes.. I know I am missing a million other things but you get the picture

LE is also voluntary, I dont know where you got that notion from
The difference is Law Enforcement get paid much more than your average soldier, so it is extremely important the the average soldier to stretch his dollar too.

A second lieutenant in the Marines that just graduated from college makes about 40 Grand a year... Thats not easy to stretch. Military personnel dont do it for the money, but its nice when they get a helping hand

Now I dont think someone is going to go home a cry about not getting 10% off in your store, but dont discredit our militiary

chickenfried
10-23-2009, 8:38 AM
your business you make the rules. But giving a leo discount but none to the military is a crappy policy.

BONECUTTER
10-23-2009, 9:06 AM
In this economy,
people are going to ask anyways, even though they don't expect any.

I don't care when people ask for discounts but, It bugs me when people using the ecomomy as an excuse. I hear it all the time from people I want to slap. If your hurting that bad, maybe you shouldn't being buying guns/ACOG's/surefires/ect. I have people buy $2000.00 rifles and then ask for a discount because they have been unemployeed for the last few months. :rolleyes: Really???

I am by no means rich. I have been working two jobs for the last few years so that I can afford the stuff I buy.

glockfu
10-23-2009, 9:25 AM
What freakshow is saying is a reasonable policy... hes not discrediting the military or giving LE privaleges over the military. He already stated that he doesnt give discount to LE for personal ammo just like he doesnt do it for military. The only LE discount he gives is for LE purposes.

But as everyone else is saying... Don't get bent outa shape when people ask for a discount. In this day, Im actually shocked when they don't! I sure do... If you don't ask, you won't recieve.

Now can I can I get a discount? =)

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 12:12 PM

Hmm... let's see.. Why would military deserve a discount over anyone else? I guess they don't.. But, as you know, military members VOLUNTEERED to serve.. They volunteered to protect YOUR freedoms. That's why most people offer Military and LE discount.. They are grateful. So whatever.. if you can't afford, don't want to, or think your prices are already low enough, then fine. But don't freaking cry about it when some military guy making 2k a month asks about a military discount.

freakshow10mm
10-23-2009, 1:04 PM
A second lieutenant in the Marines that just graduated from college makes about 40 Grand a year... Thats not easy to stretch. Military personnel dont do it for the money, but its nice when they get a helping hand
Military also lives on base or gets a housing allowance giving them more free money to spend.

Now I dont think someone is going to go home a cry about not getting 10% off in your store, but dont discredit our militiary
I never once discredited our military.

your business you make the rules. But giving a leo discount but none to the military is a crappy policy.
Notice the LE discount is for ammunition used on duty. If the military bought ammo from me they would be priced (bid) at the same price as I sell to LE.

What freakshow is saying is a reasonable policy... hes not discrediting the military or giving LE privaleges over the military. He already stated that he doesnt give discount to LE for personal ammo just like he doesnt do it for military. The only LE discount he gives is for LE purposes.
Thank you for understanding it.

chickenfried
10-23-2009, 1:10 PM
ahh yes pardon the knee jerk...

Notice the LE discount is for ammunition used on duty. If the military bought ammo from me they would be priced (bid) at the same price as I sell to LE.

freakshow10mm
10-23-2009, 1:12 PM
Hmm... let's see.. Why would military deserve a discount over anyone else? I guess they don't.. But, as you know, military members VOLUNTEERED to serve.. They volunteered to protect YOUR freedoms. That's why most people offer Military and LE discount.. They are grateful. So whatever.. if you can't afford, don't want to, or think your prices are already low enough, then fine. But don't freaking cry about it when some military guy making 2k a month asks about a military discount.
$2,000 a month? Hell that's more than I make and I don't go begging for handouts and discounts as if I'm entitled to a discount.

Big difference between a guy buying a $1500 weapon with $500 worth of trash hanging off it to impress his uncle and a guy who's short on cash but wants an affordable pistol for his wife to keep around the house they live in off base.

striker3
10-23-2009, 2:19 PM
I don't understand why some people are bothered that Adam does not give discounts to military. He doesn't give them to LE either, unless it is for department level training. Remember, any military member ordering from Adam is doing it for personal use. Individuals cannot buy ammo and use it for training or deployments.

Capt. Speirs
10-23-2009, 2:54 PM
I have heard all my life, "no harm in asking", welcome to the retail world. The general public is so diverse you have to be prepared to deal with just about anything.

I ran an independent work shop were we gave estimates for repair and had customer sign to authorize said repair. Each diverse group was different when it came time to pay the bill. Won't mention which group, but my favorite was;
Job paid $1150.00 and this group would have a wad of cash that they gently pushed towards me on the counter. The amount they offered was almost always 20% less, so I learned to bump up the estimate and everyone was happy. So be glad when they ask. Oh BTW when I said "that is not enough" they conveniently forgot English.

lazyworm
10-23-2009, 3:11 PM
I don't care when people ask for discounts but, It bugs me when people using the ecomomy as an excuse. I hear it all the time from people I want to slap. If your hurting that bad, maybe you shouldn't being buying guns/ACOG's/surefires/ect. I have people buy $2000.00 rifles and then ask for a discount because they have been unemployeed for the last few months. :rolleyes: Really???

I am by no means rich. I have been working two jobs for the last few years so that I can afford the stuff I buy.

Fixed it for you :)

Bad economy is the excuse to spend less and try to save a buck or 2 whenever
possible, spending beyond one's means in ANY economic condition is just stupid.

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 3:20 PM
I don't understand why some people are bothered that Adam does not give discounts to military. He doesn't give them to LE either, unless it is for department level training. Remember, any military member ordering from Adam is doing it for personal use. Individuals cannot buy ammo and use it for training or deployments.

Who is bothered that he doesn't give Military discounts? I'm not sure how my post was taken, but I don't care either way. I am in the military and don't care if people offer discounts. I just don't understand why he would get upset, or annoyed, if a military guy inquired about a discount. And then he brought up the fact about military being a volunteer service. I guess that part rubbed me wrong.

Rule .308
10-23-2009, 3:42 PM

I do not have a problem with him not giving them discounts, my issue with it is that he says that they are not deserving of it, whole different deal in my book. If I can or cannot afford to give you a break on it is one thing but he is saying that even if he could afford to that he would not because he personally feels that they are not worthy or deserving of it. Nope, I cannot agree with that.

freakshow10mm
10-23-2009, 4:11 PM
Why is anyone worthy of a discount? Why does a soldier think they are above everyone else and deserve or are entitled to a discount? If they aren't, then why are they trying to use their position as leverage?

Should I give teachers a discount? Medical professionals? Dentists? School crossing guards? Why?

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 4:24 PM
Why is anyone worthy of a discount? Why does a soldier think they are above everyone else and deserve or are entitled to a discount? If they aren't, then why are they trying to use their position as leverage?

Should I give teachers a discount? Medical professionals? Dentists? School crossing guards? Why?

I'm not sure what soldiers you are speaking of that think they are above everybody else, unless you mean any military that asks about a discount?

Have you ever served? Do you know what it's like? I really don't see how you can compare military to any other job, except for other LE agencies. Are dentists sleeping in ditches overseas? School crossing guards? Are there lives in danger at any given moment from the job they volunteered to do? I'd say that's a NO.

There's no rule or law that says anybody deserves a discount. It's just a nice way to say thanks to military. A way to show you appreciate what they are doing, and the fact that you don't have to do what they are doing, while you are sitting on your a** at home complaining on the internet:)

freakshow10mm
10-23-2009, 4:28 PM
Yes I know what the military is like.

cgseanp1
10-23-2009, 4:30 PM
Yes I know what the military is like.

I assume that's just your way of saying you were in the military at one time.

Rule .308
10-24-2009, 6:54 PM

If someone really has to explain this to you then it is pointless. Outside of you nobody has said anything about soldiers being better than or entitled to anything. It has been my experience that soldiers are typically pretty down to earth and humble folk, quite the opposite of what you are trying to portray.

As far as why anyone/someone would deserve a discount? Ummm, I don't know, how about repeat business, word of mouth advertising? In my business I get hit up for discounts routinely and I give them all the same answer, "you pay cash and I will take "X" amount off of the bill." Heck, you are going to eat near 3% for CC charges, take 5% off of the bill and the customer goes away happy, tells his buddies about it and ultimately comes back and gives you more business. Retail 101.

freakshow10mm
10-24-2009, 7:28 PM
To deserve something, someone has to either be entitled to it or have a right to it. No one has either.

sspen003
10-24-2009, 8:39 PM
Freakshow,

Id stop while your behind. You have a great way of putting your foot in your mouth

Peter W Bush
10-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Freakshow,

As a business man I think it is good policy to NOT say negative things about your customers in front of other potential customers. I don't think many people reading this thread will do business with you after this.

Dekker
10-24-2009, 10:28 PM

I woulda said "When you find one, bring her in". I hate discounts or coupons though, makes me feel poor and cheap. Even if it's a valid coupon that says "Buy one get one free, or 20% off" I won't use it, because it's too embarrassing for me. Good for the business, bad for my wallet, good for my self esteem. I dunno, I just get all self conscience and just can't handle giving them the coupon because it makes me feel all "ugh". I only hate em because I can't force myself to use them, otherwise I'd have no issues with them.

Capt. Speirs
10-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Usually discounts are given to certain targeted groups to get their business which you may otherwise not have and for soldiers, always give discount; they offer their lives to keep us free. Police get discounts for similar reasons.

kozumasbullitt
11-09-2009, 11:05 AM

because soldiers give their lives to defend YOUR freedom. I was a disabled vet at the age of 25! i don't expect a discount for my service but it is always nice when i do get one and as a volunteer force..... what the hell is a LEO?

geeknow
11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
People are so cheap these days. I'm a member of AARP, do I get a discount? I bought a case of your [cheapest] ammo, do I get a discount on a gun purchase? I'm in the military, do I get a discount on my transfer? I'm a member, do I get a discount? If I buy 2 boxes of ammo can I get a discount? Your mom gave me a BJ in high school, do I get a discount?

Seriously. It bugs me. Hear it all day, every day. With all the discounts I [i]should be giving, I guess people think I'm in the discount business.

Just venting. Anyone else bombarded with discount requests or am I just a magnet for cheapskates?

sounds like you are venting a bit...AARP, AAA, and a whole host of others advertise member discounts as a benefit to signing up...therefore, it seems reasonable to ask a merchant if a discount applies before making a purchase...

besides, things are tough out there for most, if not all...why not ask if there is a discount? there may be, and you wouldnt know unless you asked...vendors, too, have taken drastic steps in the discount departement in an effort to attract/retain customers...

also, haggling (to some cultures) is an integral part of the purchase process...

professionalcoyotehunter
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Freakshow,

As a business man I think it is good policy to NOT say negative things about your customers in front of other potential customers. I don't think many people reading this thread will do business with you after this.

:iagree:

professionalcoyotehunter
11-09-2009, 11:21 AM
because soldiers give their lives to defend YOUR freedom. I was a disabled vet at the age of 25! i don't expect a discount for my service but it is always nice when i do get one and as a volunteer force..... what the hell is a LEO?

A lot of LEO's are fresh out of the military Just a FYI.

kozumasbullitt
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
A lot of LEO's are fresh out of the military Just a FYI.

i was comparing a soldier to a LEO as both volunteer careers, the OP emphasized that soldiers are a volunteer organization and are not entitled to a discount but LEOs are.

Got Stuff?
11-09-2009, 5:03 PM
Discounts, sales, specials, etc are a part of business. Think how many businesses take advantage of the concept.

Times are tough for everyone. As a business, offering a sale or discount may keep you above water and in the black. Does that mean you have to lose $$ by offering a discount? No way!

I offer a 10% discount to anyone who can mention calguns or type calguns into the discount field on my website. It's just a part of normal business. And I'm more than happy to help out a fellow calgunner.

Sometimes I think that Adam tries to help too much and some people try to take advantage of that.

socalgunrunner
11-09-2009, 6:15 PM
If it bothers you so much, just hang a sign in your shop that reads: "NO DISCOUNTS, SO DON'T BOTHER ASKING"

Capt. Speirs
11-11-2009, 7:44 AM

Law Enforcement Officer

professionalcoyotehunter
11-11-2009, 7:47 AM
i was comparing a soldier to a LEO as both volunteer careers, the OP emphasized that soldiers are a volunteer organization and are not entitled to a discount but LEOs are.

Okay! I see where you are going then! So do I get a discount?

Capt. Speirs
11-12-2009, 7:38 AM
Okay! I see where you are going then! So do I get a discount?

My retail discount policy is; if you ask for a discount, I bring up the list price and knock 10% off. That is when the customer looks at me confused and says "but that is more than what you are asking for". Exactly, I already discount the products, more than 10%, the only time I don't lower the price below list is if MAP is the list price or the profit margin is too thin.