View Full Version : Posting pics with or without serial #'s?

06-23-2005, 2:36 PM
Hey folks,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.. what do y'alls think about posting your pics with serial #'s showing, vs not having your serial #'s shared with the world?

I posted some pics of one of my items and left the serial #'s intact - I don't really see how someone could do something with the #'s. DOJ has a DROS showing it's mine, all mine, and it's safely secured by me, so what's the harm?

06-23-2005, 8:24 PM
i dont really care, i used to post the pics with the numbers, the last couple of times i blurred it out unnoticably. i dont know it makes no difference i guess

06-24-2005, 2:09 AM
I'd say better safe than sorry. Although I don't know what anybody would really do with the numbers, that doesn't mean diddley squat. There are enough people running enough scams, that someone, somewhere may have an idea.

Once you post something on the net, it goes around the world instantaneously, and for good. Use anything, Photoshop, freeware, etc., and in a few seconds the numbers are gone. It's really easy and fast insurance. Then you never even have to wonder. Anyway, you might already be resizing/cropping the pics, so what's a few extra clicks?

Keep the odds in your favor - the more personal info you give out, the greater the chance that someone will pick up or piece together something useful.

You're probably okay either way, but with all the identity theft and other kinds of fraud going on, why not err on the side of caution? I don't want to be the one saying, gee, I never thought anyone could do THAT with a serial number.

Now excuse me, I have to answer an email about helping a member of the Nigerian royal family get his rightful millions out of the rebels' hands - oh, where did I put my bank statement...

06-24-2005, 9:55 AM

I wondered if we could reply to one of those Nigerian scam things, invite the guys over here, and hold THEM for ransom..