PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson City (MO) News Tribune concedes on concealed carry

7x57
10-21-2009, 7:03 PM
This (http://www.newstribune.com/articles/2009/10/20/opinion/072op01hardlessonsy09.txt) is from the NRA-ILA RSS feed, to be filed in the "flying pigs" file. Even ran under the paper's byline, not a reporter's. Spelling errors from the original. :rolleyes:

Felons learning hard lesssons

By The News Tribune
Published: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:19 AM CDT

Felonious behavior is becoming more dangerous, if two recent incidents are any indication.

During a home invasion on Oct. 5, one of the intruders was shot and killed by one of the occupants of the mobile home.

And an armed assailant is recovering from wounds after he was shot Oct. 13 by one of the people he was attempting to herd into a building housing law offices on East Capitol Avenue.

In the first case, the weapon was kept in the home, which always has been allowed to defend people and property.

In the second incident, the assailant was shot by someone who qualifies under the conceal and carry law.

Sheriff Greg White is a proponent of the conceal and carry law, passed by lawmakers in 2003 after Missouri voters rejected a similar law in 1999.

The law requires people to attain a standard of proficiency with weapons before they are permitted to carry a concealed gun. Proponents of the law believe it offers a greater sense of security and decreases crime by prompting felons to consider the consequences of armed confrontation.

We confess to harboring some reservations about the concealed carry law. Our fear was an increase in guns in public would result in more guns being displayed prematurely and/or more accidents.

White said recently: “All the fears over conceal and carry have never manifested.”

We concede the point.

Anecdotal evidence does not suggest an increase in accidents or unprovoked gunplay.

The evidence, however, does show people defending themselves from harm.

The message being sent to felons is don't bring a weapon to a crime unless you're prepared to accept the risk.

Mmmm. :D

7x57

WileyWilly
10-21-2009, 7:34 PM
Dang--Pigs ARE flying!!!
WW

mmartin
10-21-2009, 7:50 PM
Ho-ly-Cow.

Did I mention that we're working on moving to Missouri?
a state where people apparently can learn and admit to changing to a new viewpoint.
wow.
megan

wildhawker
10-21-2009, 8:05 PM
You're forbidden from leaving until every Californian is involved in a shooting sport. :D

bigcalidave
10-21-2009, 8:09 PM
ZOMG Fair media reporting!!!

mmartin
10-21-2009, 8:11 PM
You're forbidden from leaving until every Californian is involved in a shooting sport. :D

dang. guess I'd better get to work, eh?
megan

7x57
10-21-2009, 8:57 PM

Um...*every* Californian? Even aside from the prohibited persons, as pro-gun as I am there are certain Californians whom I'd prefer never exercise their 2A rights.

Maybe we can have a system of peremptory challenges, where each gunny can strike a certain number of names off the list. You know, something like:

* The woman across the street who keeps driving into my mailbox while backing out and who left her oven on last week and nearly burned the neighborhood down.

* The guy I work with who is legally blind but refuses to "accept limitations" and keeps smacking me with the whiteboard markers while gesturing.

* The guy who has muzzle-swept me at the range every week for the past two months and says on his next AR build he's "really going to go for it this time."

* My neighbor who doesn't wear pants and keeps staring intently at my goats.

Once everyone thinks about some of their neighbors and acquaintances, I think this is a proposal we will all be able to get behind. :D

7x57

7x57
10-21-2009, 8:58 PM
a state where people apparently can learn and admit to changing to a new viewpoint.

As long as you show them first. :D

7x57

dantodd
10-21-2009, 9:04 PM
Um...*every* Californian? Even aside from the prohibited persons, as pro-gun as I am there are certain Californians whom I'd prefer never exercise their 2A rights.

He didn't say which end of the lane. Plus, someone has to sweep brass.

wildhawker
10-21-2009, 9:07 PM
Dan FTW!

7, do you lock up your goats at night?

mmartin
10-21-2009, 9:16 PM

Maybe we can have a system of peremptory challenges, where each gunny can strike a certain number of names off the list. You know, something like:

* The woman across the street who keeps driving into my mailbox while backing out and who left her oven on last week and nearly burned the neighborhood down.

* The guy I work with who is legally blind but refuses to "accept limitations" and keeps smacking me with the whiteboard markers while gesturing.

* The guy who has muzzle-swept me at the range every week for the past two months and says on his next AR build he's "really going to go for it this time."

Once everyone thinks about some of their neighbors and acquaintances, I think this is a proposal we will all be able to get behind. :D

7x57

well it's good we're taking *them* off the list. less work for me.
megan

7x57
10-21-2009, 9:17 PM
7, do you lock up your goats at night?

Little chastity belts. :D

7x57

dantodd
10-21-2009, 9:21 PM

You should buy your pantsless neighbor a mailbox costume for Halloween this year.

MP301
10-21-2009, 9:26 PM
7x57

I dont see what the problem is. Have your goats complained? Have your goats reported an assault? Have you noticed your goats drssing differently?Do your goats have a pimp?

Maybe your goats actaully like it when the guy stares at them.... :eek:

dfletcher
10-21-2009, 9:34 PM

My neighbor who doesn't wear pants and keeps staring intently at my goats.

7x57

Picky, picky, picky. ;)

Heck, where's Ned Beatty when you need him .....

7x57
10-21-2009, 9:41 PM
I dont see what the problem is. Have your goats complained? Have your goats reported an assault? Have you noticed your goats drssing differently?Do your goats have a pimp?

Oh, they're all flocked up.

Maybe your goats actaully like it when the guy stares at them.... :eek:

Na-a-a-a-a-a.

7x57

Dr Rockso
10-21-2009, 9:42 PM
This was exactly the story in Texas circa ~1996.

Glen White, the president of the Dallas Police Association, said, "I lobbied against the law in 1993 and 1995 because I thought it would lead to wholesale armed conflict. That hasn't happened. All the horror stories I thought would come to pass didn't happen. No bogeyman. I think it's worked out well, and that says good things about the citizens who have permits. I'm a convert."

wildhawker
10-21-2009, 9:52 PM
7, that last one had me la-a-a-a-a-ughing so hard I woke the wife. :D

7x57
10-21-2009, 9:53 PM
This was exactly the story in Texas circa ~1996.

Nice, I hadn't seen that one. Many incidents like that are what makes shall-issue such a long-term win.

Isn't this sort of on-topic, second-amendment related reply to the thread starter really just a threadjack of our vitally important goat discussion? :rolleyes:

7x57

7x57
10-21-2009, 9:55 PM
7, that last one had me la-a-a-a-a-ughing so hard I woke the wife. :D

Just another reason she's going to really have it in for me. :chris:

7x57

yellowfin
10-21-2009, 9:57 PM
I'll applaud when I see the New York Times printing this, not until.

wildhawker
10-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Yep, she'll be making you a special plate of food. Might wanna bring pizza. ;)

bulgron
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I'll applaud when I see the New York Times printing this, not until.

Dude, I keep telling you, we have to free all of Middle Earth before we get around to Mordor.

7x57
10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Dude, I keep telling you, we have to free all of Middle Earth before we get around to Mordor.

And that would make Mayor Bloomberg.... :43:

7x57

ke6guj
10-22-2009, 12:06 AM
That OCT 13 incident happened to an ARFCOMer. He was shot in the shoulder and both hands and still returned fire at the criminal.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=32&t=381800

yellowfin
10-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Dude, I keep telling you, we have to free all of Middle Earth before we get around to Mordor.Ever notice how Soros sounds creepily similar to Sauron? It seems prophetic, Nostradamus-like on Tolkien's part. Bloomberg is merely Sauroman.

Nodda Duma
10-22-2009, 5:36 AM
Ho-ly-Cow.

Did I mention that we're working on moving to Missouri?
wow.
megan

megan have you narrowed down the area of Missouri that you're going to move to yet?

-Jason

HowardW56
10-22-2009, 6:01 AM
Dang--Pigs ARE flying!!!
WW

I hope they don't crap on my truck, Pigeons are bad enough....

mmartin
10-22-2009, 6:22 AM
megan have you narrowed down the area of Missouri that you're going to move to yet?

-Jason

West central, north of springfield. maybe stockton, buffalo, bolivar area.
megan

B Strong
10-22-2009, 6:58 AM
He didn't say which end of the lane. Plus, someone has to sweep brass.

LOL!

GuyW
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I send these sorts of articles to my Police Chief....the appointed Sheriff is a lost cause...

Paladin
10-23-2009, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the example of CCW'er "saving the day." Of course, you'll never hear the MSM state how that CCW'er possibly saved all those people the BG was "herding" into the building (slaughterhouse? -- incorporation pun intended).

This is now #21 of the examples of CCW'ers saving lives that I keep in my Palm PDA to use when people say, "When has a CCW ever helped anyone?" Or, "Why do you think you'll ever need a CCW?" (Hmm, that 2nd one sounds an awful lot like what my sheriff asks . . . :chris:)

I'll post example #20 in a new thread. I just came across it earlier this week. I don't hunt these examples down, I just collect them when I come across them.