PDA

View Full Version : Firefox vs IE performance

esskay
10-21-2009, 7:09 PM
Sorry if this is old news, but holy crap when did Firefox become a DOG, and IE get blazing fast?! I switched to FF a couple years ago because it was so much more responsive than IE (besides other nice features). But FF has become so sluggish esp with many windows open. And I went to try IE again (which had also updated itself) and it's much faster, like how FF used to be compared to IE!

M198
10-21-2009, 7:28 PM
Shhhhhh! You can't admire a Microsoft product. You'll bring down the wrath of the Apple and Linux snobs. Dude, Safari/Firefox/Opera is so much better!:rolleyes: Acctually, i do prefer Firefox becasue of it's genreal layout and add-ons. IE8 is pretty solid though.

spitter3
10-21-2009, 8:12 PM
Sounds more like a hardware issue, when was the last time you defragged? They are both as speedy as your internet connection is, at least that's my experience.

bigmike82
10-21-2009, 8:30 PM
FF 3.5.3 has been the biggest sack of crap on my Centrino laptop. It's been horrifically buggy, slow and laggy.

IE 6 and IE 8 both out performed it.

Which saddens me. I like firefox. I really do.

whobob
10-21-2009, 8:30 PM
Something is wrong with your PC if IE is out performing Firefox. http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

bigmike82
10-21-2009, 8:38 PM
Yeah, I don't have a billion gigs of RAM to devote to FF. ;)

On a machine I had 16 gigs of RAM, I couldn't tell the difference.

spitter3
10-21-2009, 8:50 PM
FF 3.5.3 has been the biggest sack of crap on my Centrino laptop. It's been horrifically buggy, slow and laggy.

IE 6 and IE 8 both out performed it.

Which saddens me. I like firefox. I really do.

My daughters netbook does fine with it??? Only slightly slower then my desktop.

phish
10-21-2009, 8:56 PM
try Safari

Darklyte27
10-21-2009, 9:03 PM
I also have had problems with the new Firefox.
its also been crashing with Flash too all the time. I also made a thread about it if you look. alot of people have been complaining about it too on firefox fourms etc. i just hope they hurry and fix it.

StarJunor
10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I love fire fox. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) I never have any problems and never use IE.

stomper4x4
10-21-2009, 11:08 PM
try Safari

Last I heard, safari had more security vulnerabilities than any other browser, with FF close behind.

I've been liking Chrome lately, though it's far from perfect, and I need FF plugins sometimes. Chrome has plugins now, but not many yet.

JDay
10-22-2009, 1:48 AM
Chrome is faster than both.

esskay
10-22-2009, 9:56 AM
I also have had problems with the new Firefox.
its also been crashing with Flash too all the time. I also made a thread about it if you look. alot of people have been complaining about it too on firefox fourms etc. i just hope they hurry and fix it.

Googling around, I did find a number of complaints about the latest version of Firefox esp with many windows open (as well, a number of people talking about how the new IE has gotten much faster/better)...And of course others positing the exact opposite! ...

I did read some arguments about IE8/Chrome being faster due to multi-threading capability and Firefox 3.5 either having or not having multi-threading... :confused:

FWIW, this is on a ultraportable laptop but is relatively new and does have an SSD so it's pretty responsive with most productivity applications.
Intel Core 2 Duo ULV SU9400 (1.40GHz)
3 GB RAM
128GB SSD

calixt0
10-22-2009, 11:28 AM
i recently switched to FF and love it. my biggest dislike with IE was that with vista I couldn't set a webemail as my default. I hated having to open two windows instead of just clicking an email link.

spitter3
10-22-2009, 6:00 PM
Googling around, I did find a number of complaints about the latest version of Firefox esp with many windows open (as well, a number of people talking about how the new IE has gotten much faster/better)...And of course others positing the exact opposite! ...

I did read some arguments about IE8/Chrome being faster due to multi-threading capability and Firefox 3.5 either having or not having multi-threading... :confused:

FWIW, this is on a ultraportable laptop but is relatively new and does have an SSD so it's pretty responsive with most productivity applications.
Intel Core 2 Duo ULV SU9400 (1.40GHz)
3 GB RAM
128GB SSD

Ah, so it is a hardware issue, classic ssd mlc stuttering, IE will soon be following ff in its slow down. Have you done anything to limit small writes to the ssd??

grammaton76
10-22-2009, 6:09 PM
Heh, I just spent a good chunk of today debugging a javascript issue that turned out to be how IE treats select/option blocks.

Mutli-Browser Appliance, btw, is a fairly neat vmware appliance that'll let you run IE without actually having a Windoze instance on your machine.

REDHORSE
10-22-2009, 6:17 PM
If you have a ton of FF plug-ins, it may be the reason it's running slower. I removed several of the plug-ins that I rarely used and noticed that my FF was performing much better with less plug-ins.

esskay
10-22-2009, 7:51 PM
Ah, so it is a hardware issue, classic ssd mlc stuttering, IE will soon be following ff in its slow down. Have you done anything to limit small writes to the ssd??

I wish I knew what you meant! Is there something I should do to optimize my SSD?

choprzrul
10-22-2009, 8:33 PM
Try Windows 7 + Opera if you want to see fast webpage rendering. I am using it now and have no plans of ever looking back.

spitter3
10-22-2009, 8:45 PM
I wish I knew what you meant! Is there something I should do to optimize my SSD?

Add a small ram drive for small writes to your hard drive, internet browser cache, windows temp folder both write to your hard drive and are quickly deleted after you are done with them, not good for a mlc ssd, prefect for a ram drive.

esskay
10-23-2009, 9:34 AM
Add a small ram drive for small writes to your hard drive, internet browser cache, windows temp folder both write to your hard drive and are quickly deleted after you are done with them, not good for a mlc ssd, prefect for a ram drive.

I am running Win XP Pro on my laptop. It has an SD and ExpressCard slot. So, would you recommend that I get a fast ExpressCard or SD flash card? Those still aren't RAM, though, right?

Or do you mean partition off some of my main RAM as a virtual drive? Not sure how to do that?

Then how would I point temp folders to that drive??

Thanks for the feedback.

spitter3
10-23-2009, 5:26 PM
I am running Win XP Pro on my laptop. It has an SD and ExpressCard slot. So, would you recommend that I get a fast ExpressCard or SD flash card? Those still aren't RAM, though, right?

Or do you mean partition off some of my main RAM as a virtual drive? Not sure how to do that?

Then how would I point temp folders to that drive??

Thanks for the feedback.

There are a lot of ram drive to download, some are free, some are pay, here is one to try.
http://www.onlinehowto.net/Tutorials/Windows-XP/How-to-install-RAM-Drive-in-Windows-XP/828

This is a guide how to change the file locations to the ram drive, it's near the end of the first post.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55238

esskay
10-23-2009, 5:59 PM
Thanks for the great links!

I have 3GB of RAM, how much of it would you suggest configuring as a RAM drive?

Thanks

spitter3
10-23-2009, 7:40 PM
Daily use 300mb-700mb
Installing programs from a CD 1.2-1.6gig
Installing games from a DVD shut it down temporarily and revert back to normal.

It will crash your machine if you fill up the ram drive, it will just stop working and require a hard reboot.

Have done anything like turn off virtual memory or turn off system restore? If not here's anothor guide that will help.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm