PDA

View Full Version : 12276.1

smlockdown
10-21-2009, 6:14 PM
I was doing a little research and did many searches and couldnt find the definition of "fixed magazine." Can anyone point me to the direction of where I can find it?

I dont me it requires a tool and all that but where is it in the CA pc book?

I went through my copy and it doesnt come up in 12276.1 like most people state.

If Im just blind and dont see it I apologize.

grammaton76
10-21-2009, 6:23 PM
IIRC, "fixed magazine" is not actually called out and described.

We are just given some examples of fixed mags with other rifles. Somewhere on the DOJ's site, there were PDF's of responses given to letters written on the subject of SB23, which proved enlightening.

bwiese
10-21-2009, 6:29 PM
"Fixed magazine" is not defined.

"Detachable magazine" is defined in regulatory code (11 CCR 5469(a)) as one not requiring a tool to detach.

This definition of 'detachable magazine' was created to avoid problems with SKS and similar rifles. Expert testimony can be found stating that these magazines are fixed magazines. The secondary definition of AW ("semiauto centerfire rifle with fixed magazine holding over 10 rounds") was specifically created to ban SKSes with long (albeit fixed) 30rd mags.

The key issue for OLL owners is not that the rifle has a fixed magazine, but
that it does not have a detachable magazine.

While definition is up in the air, an AR with a BulletButton-affixed 10rd magazine is likely considered a fixed magazine (and thus one should not lock in a hicap mag).

elrcastor
10-21-2009, 6:29 PM
There's a reference in the flow chart. It's for a detachable mag, CCR 11 5469 (a).

smlockdown
10-21-2009, 6:55 PM
thanks for the help!