PDA

View Full Version : New CA Restriction...

halifax
10-21-2009, 8:48 AM
This is a new one on me:

EAA Bounty Hunter (http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-revolvers-blue-TP.html)

See the "NOTE" for the asterisk

:chris:

Trapper
10-21-2009, 9:06 AM
I'd never heard of a melt point restriction? Aluminum melts at 660deg, what are the frames made out of that would melt at a lower temp. A zink alloy could lower the temp but I still don't understand the restriction.

halifax
10-21-2009, 9:16 AM
I'm sure it's a load of FUD but I found it interesting anyway.

nick
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Not that I particularly wanted that one, but "melt point restrictions"?

Hozr
10-21-2009, 1:08 PM
I don't think it's saying we have a melt point restriction. I think it's saying it's not legal (not rostered) and can't be sold here OR in cities that have the MP restriction.

ke6guj
10-21-2009, 1:10 PM
I don't recall a melt point law in CA, but "non-rostered" shouldn't matter since it appears to be a single-action revolver that meets the dimensional requirements to be exempt.

If you look at the double-action revolver they sell, http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-revolvers-windicator-TP.html , they have a different note, that does not include CA. Note: (*) Alloy model cannot be sold in SC, WI, Il or other states or cities with frame melt point laws. So, it appears to be a typo, or they FUD'ed themselves for a moment.

halifax
10-22-2009, 6:07 AM
Sent this to EAA:

Hello,

I am a dealer in CA and I've noticed you have notated your single-action revolvers with:

Note: (*) Alloy model cannot be sold in CA, SC, WI or other states or cities with frame melt point laws.

California has no such "melt point" law. In fact, regarding all single action revolvers, they are exempt from the handgun testing requirement:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12125.php

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications: (1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code. (b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

Your distributors (e.g., Zanders) have picked-up on your note and will not sell to CA dealers a firearm that is perfectly legal in CA.

Please find a way to change your incorrect restriction notation.

Thank you,

halifax
10-22-2009, 6:19 AM

If you look at the double-action revolver they sell, http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-revolvers-windicator-TP.html , they have a different note, that does not include CA. Note: (*) Alloy model cannot be sold in SC, WI, Il or other states or cities with frame melt point laws. So, it appears to be a typo, or they FUD'ed themselves for a moment.

Yea, I saw that, but Zanders still won't sell it to CA based on the same notation:

Specifications:
CALIBER 38 SPL
TYPE ACTION REVOLVER
BARREL LENGTH 2"
CAPACITY 6
GRIP MATERIAL RUBBER TARGET GRIP
FINISH BLUE
FRAME MATERIAL ALLOY
SIGHTS LOW PROFILE NON SNAG SIGHTS
AMB. SAFETY Y/N N
DRILLED & TAPPED Y/N N
# OF MAGAZINES INCLD N/A
MICHAELS HOLSTER SZ. 0
OTHER FEATURES: GROOVED TARGET TRIGGER/NON-SNAG DESIGN
INTERNAL FIRING PIN BLOCK SAFETY,
FLOATING FIRING PIN, LONG COIL MAIN
SPRING, HEAVY DUTY CRANE, GROOVED TARGET
TRIGGER, KNURLED CYLINDER RELEASE,
TARGET HAMMER SPUR, STEEL FIRING TRAIN
DO NOT SELL TO CALIFORNIA, WISCONSIN,
SOUTH CAROLINA, ILLINOIS OR ANY STATE
WITH MELT DOWN LAW

Which is Zander's mistake.

dark45
11-15-2009, 6:33 AM
wow you would think they would love weapons that are easily melted seeing how they try to get every gun melted down, it would save them some work.

halifax
11-15-2009, 6:50 AM
wow you would think they would love weapons that are easily melted seeing how they try to get every gun melted down, it would save them some work.

I'm thinking it was a way to keep cheap (pot metal) guns off the market. I wonder if it applies to polymer.