PDA

View Full Version : To carry or not to carry

okimreloaded
10-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Recently read a story in the paper about a guy who admits he was involved in a drug deal and shot and killed a 17 year old kid in self defense. Now, not only was this guy a FELON engaged in a DRUG deal to a MINOR but he SHOT AND KILLED HIM and all he's charged with is felony possession of a firearm.

I am a law abiding citizen - I do not deal drugs - the odds of me getting a permit in my county are SLIM TO NONE and I'm thinking - the odds of being caught carrying, the odds of me using a gun in a self defense situation that ends in gunfire are also slim to none and the piece of mind it would give me knowing that no matter what comes up I can protect myself and my wife makes me feel much better.

And it seems that even if I were to use it, I'd probably not be charged for anything as it would only be used for self defense... it just doesn't make sense
Don't politicians know that there are people who carry w/o a permit who would get one if they could and that to know who these people are is probably better than not knowing who is carrying and who isn't?

I'm not saying I'm going to start carrying w/o a permit. Never have and not considering it because I'm afraid of getting into trouble when obviously if you do it, while committing other serious felonies you get a slap on the effing wrist.

It seems like a no brainer to me - but I wouldn't want to lose my right to own a gun over something stupid -

Is it common that people who cannot get a permit - carry anyway? I'm not asking for people to tell me to go ahead and break the law - I would never break the law intentionally - just wondering if it's pretty common place among people who value self preservation but who are forbidden to do so by the state government.

JagerTroop
10-21-2009, 6:20 AM
First of all, I share your concerns about safety and self preservation, as I'm sure does everyone else here. But...

And it seems that even if I were to use it, I'd probably not be charged for anything as it would only be used for self defense... it just doesn't make sense

Even with a CCW... should you fire (or even draw) your weapon, you should plan on being arrested. It is not the responding officer's job to decide your innocence or guilt, on the scene. You will be cuffed, booked, and given a date to stand before the man. However, that's only if you don't get caught carrying in the mean time.

Is it common that people who cannot get a permit - carry anyway? I'm not asking for people to tell me to go ahead and break the law - I would never break the law intentionally - just wondering if it's pretty common place among people who value self preservation but who are forbidden to do so by the state government.

This site and it's members do not endorse or condone illegal activity, nor do I think anyone would ever admit to any such activity. With that said, people are free to do as they see fit... just be prepared to deal with the consequences. You may want to consider other options, such as moving to a CCW friendly county. Also, there is a plan in motion to make CCWs more attainable in this state. If you can, hold out till June, as there will be some light shed on this issue at about that time.

okimreloaded
10-21-2009, 7:07 AM
I can def wait till june - and I am considering moving to Yuba county where it is easy to get one, and I don't think I would carry w/o a permit but it's tempting when you see that it's not likely that I would ever need to and that B even if I did - I probably wouldn't be charged w/ anything if it was a legit self defense situation - right now my wife has pepper spray and I have a knife but I don't feel prepared at all.

What threads are there on the stuff we're waiting for in JUNE?

paul0660
10-21-2009, 7:29 AM
If the question is, is it common, the answer is yes. I drove a big rig for a long time, and many drivers were armed.

r08ert209cali
10-21-2009, 7:54 AM
Criminals have all the rights for now. soon victory will be ours or we will all leave. I know how you feel. I would hate to lose my right to own guns because I got caught carrying with out a permit.

chaled
10-21-2009, 8:02 AM
It's your choice:

1) Secure and capable of defense as an outlaw

2) law abiding vitctim and target

When the laws are currupt and only meant to empower the the criminal, the average citizen is forced to break the law to "survive" and the criminals commit more crimes, thats called Chaos, the more Chaos, the more fodder for the prison industrial complex.

Business is gooood.

JagerTroop
10-21-2009, 8:10 AM
What threads are there on the stuff we're waiting for in JUNE?

Just one of many (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=225407&highlight=shall+issue)

You can also search using keywords "shall issue".

okimreloaded
10-21-2009, 8:13 AM
Honestly that's what I see - empowered criminals - for instance - ab962 gets passed and also 27000 inmates get released and also - if you live in one of the bigger counties forget a ccw - so more criminals on the streets and more laws preventing me from protecting myself from them.

The laws are corrupt - some anti gun politicians have ccws themselves. It boils down to they don't want the average guy to have access to guns - they want everything to go through the police. They are afraid, I think of dumb joe public brandishing his pistol every where and shooting up the town - even though that scenario is completely unrealistic.

it's frustrating.

M. D. Van Norman
10-21-2009, 8:42 AM
There are plenty of people who think the law is stricter than it actually is. There are plenty of people who don’t care about the law, and there are plenty more who are simply ignorant of it. For this latter group, when friends or family members “illegally” sell or give them handguns, I highly doubt they think twice before stuffing said firearms into their pockets or waistbands and going about their respective business.

Some eventually get caught and become criminals, whether or not they were before. Most probably get away with “illegal” concealed carry without incident. Real criminals, of course, get away with it all the time … in and out of prison.

tango5
10-21-2009, 8:50 AM
Hey guys, what is the law on getting a CCW if you live at 2 different residences? Say for instance, i live in Contra Costa County and getting a CCW from Rupf isn't an option, but i also live and spend time in another county that will issue if all my ducks are in a row. Will they issue a CCW if im not a full time resident of that county?

JagerTroop
10-21-2009, 9:14 AM
You must apply in the county of your primary residence

Clayface
10-21-2009, 9:57 AM
When in a gun store have you noiticed how many holsters they sell in cities where it is illegal to have a concealed weapon? They practically sell for all types. Its a fact that some citizens have decided to carry weither legal or illegal . Do you think those holsters are aimed at people who have permits.

If they sold holsters for law abiding people . They would probably only have one type for glocks and a medium frame revolver only.

mrboma
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Recently read a story in the paper about a guy who admits he was involved in a drug deal and shot and killed a 17 year old kid in self defense. Now, not only was this guy a FELON engaged in a DRUG deal to a MINOR but he SHOT AND KILLED HIM and all he's charged with is felony possession of a firearm.

I am a law abiding citizen - I do not deal drugs - the odds of me getting a permit in my county are SLIM TO NONE and I'm thinking - the odds of being caught carrying, the odds of me using a gun in a self defense situation that ends in gunfire are also slim to none and the piece of mind it would give me knowing that no matter what comes up I can protect myself and my wife makes me feel much better.

Don't politicians know that there are people who carry w/o a permit who would get one if they could and that to know who these people are is probably better than not knowing who is carrying and who isn't?

I'm not saying I'm going to start carrying w/o a permit. Never have and not considering it because I'm afraid of getting into trouble when obviously if you do it, while committing other serious felonies you get a slap on the effing wrist.

It seems like a no brainer to me - but I wouldn't want to lose my right to own a gun over something stupid -

If you are seriously thinking about this method of protection I suggest you read Boston's Gun Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Bostons-Gun-Bible-Boston-Party/dp/1888766069) before doing so.
Stay safe.
Regards,
Mike

Barney Gumble
10-21-2009, 11:24 AM
When in a gun store have you noiticed how many holsters they sell in cities where it is illegal to have a concealed weapon? They practically sell for all types. Its a fact that some citizens have decided to carry weither legal or illegal . Do you think those holsters are aimed at people who have permits.

If they sold holsters for law abiding people . They would probably only have one type for glocks and a medium frame revolver only.

Wrong wrong wrong...plenty of people buy holsters for legal uses as it's perfectly legal to carry openly or concealed in your place of residence, or at competition/training events if the range allows it.

Purple K
10-21-2009, 1:08 PM
I have two older brothers that are LEO's, they both have advised me and others to carry concealled illegally. One must do a personal risk assessment: the risk of being caught by LEO, armed vs being caught by a thug, unarmed. Being caught by LEO's is a misdemeanor for the first offense. Being caught by a thug could prove to be fatal. Depending upon where you live, what you do, where you go and how you conduct yourself you might get away with illegal concealled carry for quite a while. You might not!!! Decisions not to be taken lightly. You could lose you right to gun ownership and much more.

tango5
10-21-2009, 2:55 PM
I have two older brothers that are LEO's, they both have advised me and others to carry concealled illegally. One must do a personal risk assessment: the risk of being caught by LEO, armed vs being caught by a thug, unarmed. Being caught by LEO's is a misdemeanor for the first offense. Being caught by a thug could prove to be fatal. Depending upon where you live, what you do, where you go and how you conduct yourself you might get away with illegal concealled carry for quite a while. You might not!!! Decisions not to be taken lightly. You could lose you right to gun ownership and much more.

+1, i have heard this as well. First offense is a misdemeanor and a $200 fine, and you get your gun back. 2nd offense, i heard it is a felony. A few of my cop friends have said the same thing, carry illegaly and if you are stopped by a LEO, do what they say and let them know you have a gun on your before they find it on you. When your life is on the line, i would rather take the penalty/fines/possible jail time if it means i get to go home and see my wife and son. Like Ice Cube one said, "Id rather be tried by 12, than be carried by 6." Meaning, let a jury of 12 decide my fate instead of being carried by 6 pallbearers. And for the record, i dont illegally carry.

oops
10-21-2009, 3:15 PM
if you carry illegally plan on getting charged with the max permissable by law and be charged with multiple charges.. murphy says you get caught first day of illegal carry and get shanked in jail

AndrewMendez
10-21-2009, 3:44 PM
Wrong wrong wrong...plenty of people buy holsters for legal uses as it's perfectly legal to carry openly or concealed in your place of residence, or at competition/training events if the range allows it.

+1 I have holsters for all of my handguns, and I am not a criminal, nor do I have a CCW!

SgtDinosaur
10-21-2009, 3:49 PM
Oh my goodness no! I would never even consider breaking that blatantly unconstitutional law. Why, I would much rather be killed by the scum of the earth than break that idiotic, backwards law. All of us good little sheep are just waiting to be led to slaughter........like, well, good little sheep.

And God forbid I should carry a collapsible baton or even a walking stick. That's an even bigger crime.

okimreloaded
10-21-2009, 8:08 PM
Why would you need to conceal carry on your own property? You can open loaded carry!

cal_gunner
10-21-2009, 9:24 PM
you can carry a concealed taser legally in cali

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/Draskinn/Fark/TazerDance1-1.gif

joemama
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
you can carry a concealed taser legally in cali

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/Draskinn/Fark/TazerDance1-1.gif

Is that completely legal? Are there any regs on carrying a concealed tazer?

okimreloaded
10-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't like concealed taser - what do you do if multiple attackers? what if you miss? if i'm going to have to touch the guy, might as well be armed w/ a knife. I like that w/ a pistol you've got 10 chances to protect yourself - and if you are quick, there's 10 more in the pocket.

a1c
10-21-2009, 11:36 PM

Do you have a link to the story you are referring to?

Barney Gumble
10-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Why would you need to conceal carry on your own property? You can open loaded carry!

Some people may not want to freak out the neighbors, delivery people, friends who come over, etc.

cal_gunner
10-22-2009, 7:22 AM
Is that completely legal? Are there any regs on carrying a concealed tazer?

yes, concealed Tasers are Legal in California and you can carry more than one if you are concerned about multiple attackers.

Snake eyes
10-22-2009, 10:55 PM
That nagging question. Carry a gun illegally and risk getting caught or don't and risk needing it REALLY badly and not have it.

I believe any law that would deny me the basic right to defend my life is not only unjust but lunacy. As such I put my own interests, survival, above such laws.

I'm no anarchist but I've never agreed with the notion that just because something is "THE LAW" that it posseses some divine authority and must be obeyed at all cost. If the founding fathers believed in the absolutness of established law North America would still be an British colony.

One of the worst nightmares I can imagine is to be lying in a pool of my own blood, dying, after being stabbed, and think that if I had just ONE of the guns I left at home I wouldn't be breathing my last breaths.

I'd rather my family have to sell my guns to pay for a lawyer than have to sell them to pay for my funeral.