PDA

View Full Version : What seater die wont leave round ring on bullet

problemchild
10-20-2009, 8:50 PM
I have a circular round ring-indentation about half way down the curve of the bullet. Im using dillon seater dies. What 308 die wont leave any marks on the bullet?

Also when I measure the seated bullet the hollow point tip can be a bit off. Is there a way to measure the bullet seated depth or OAL of the seated bullet in the brass from another point?

C.G.
10-20-2009, 9:27 PM
You may be seating to deep or might have to polish your seating die with bore compound. As to the other question, overall length measurement is not all that accurate, ogive measurement should get you better results for accuracy. You might to give this article a read:
http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/977259.htm

ar15barrels
10-20-2009, 9:41 PM
Lapping the seating stem to better match the bullet will help reduce the marks.

I take a loaded round, put lapping compound on the bullet and spin the loaded round in a power drill while working the seating stem round and round on the bullet.
Obviously the seating stem is out of the die at this point.

gunboat
10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
My guess is - your die is starting to crimp case before bullet is fully seated.

spencerhut
10-21-2009, 5:44 AM
My guess is - your die is starting to crimp case before bullet is fully seated.

Could be . . . back it out a few turns and try it with no crimp at all.

ocabj
10-21-2009, 5:55 AM
Also when I measure the seated bullet the hollow point tip can be a bit off. Is there a way to measure the bullet seated depth or OAL of the seated bullet in the brass from another point?

I use this:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/10477/Bullet-Comparators

Fjold
10-21-2009, 6:36 AM
I just chuck a bullet up in a hand drill with some lapping compound on it.

Ahhnother8
10-21-2009, 8:01 AM
Might have a little too much neck tension also...

ar15barrels
10-21-2009, 8:14 AM
Might have a little too much neck tension also...

As most factory non-bushing dies will.

Yankee Clipper
10-21-2009, 9:02 PM
If you don't feel comfortable polishing the seat in the stem with a bullet, you can send the stem back to the die manufacturer with the bullet your using. They (Redding, RCBS, etc.) will reshape that seat for you. I don't remember what they charge but I'm sure it was minimal. You can also buy additional stems from the die manufactures, if your loading bullets with different ogive shapes, so you can have a different seat shaped for each bullet. Just make sure, as someone else has already mentioned, that your necks aren't too tight.