PDA

View Full Version : M1A Issues

Mugwump
03-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I just got back from the range with my M1A, fired about 60 rounds. I was just about to wrap it up, but my rifle decided for me that it was time to go. It stopped firing, I would pull the trigger and all I would hear is "click". I extracted the round and loaded another, and the same thing happened again, tried it one more time and the same thing. It's pretty dirty, and I had planned on cleaning it up real good, but if someone else has experienced this before and has an answer that could save me some time I would appreciate it.

Mugwump
03-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I just got back from the range with my M1A, fired about 60 rounds. I was just about to wrap it up, but my rifle decided for me that it was time to go. It stopped firing, I would pull the trigger and all I would hear is "click". I extracted the round and loaded another, and the same thing happened again, tried it one more time and the same thing. It's pretty dirty, and I had planned on cleaning it up real good, but if someone else has experienced this before and has an answer that could save me some time I would appreciate it.

xsquid
03-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Are you getting anykind of primer strikes? M14/M1As have free floating firing pins. Could be so much crud thats been built up inhibiting the movement of the pin. I'd try giving the bolt a reall good cleaning first.

capitol
03-25-2005, 4:20 PM
Yea, spray that bolt with brake cleaner/gun degreaser. Make sure you get the chemical inside the bolt and let us know if that solved the problem or not. Inquiring minds gots to know!
Shame on you for allowing your gun to get so dirty http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

slowjon
03-26-2005, 9:32 AM
Wow, only 60 rounds? A M1A should eat rounds all day. I would agree with the others that is sounds like either a foulded firing pin or maybe a broken firing pin? The only other thought I would have is that if you are shooting cheap surplus ammo. That stuff is very dirty and leaves a lot of crud behind. I have seen where a piece of brass or other debris has got blocked in the firing pin hole, preventing the firing pin to move forward. FWIW

bwiese
03-26-2005, 2:49 PM
First eliminate ammo as source of problem.

Try some Australain or British mil surplus. That's quality stuff. Or try some Fed. red box stuff - cheap but good, good QC, etc.

Otherwise it just might be time for a good cleaning. Maybe some old guck or dried-out lube and dirt from previous sessions is gumming up the works...

Bill W
San Jose

Leo762
03-28-2005, 2:20 PM
could be from a busted primer too http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif