PDA

View Full Version : any hackintosh here?

whobob
10-20-2009, 7:12 PM
I'm trying to hackintosh os x 10.6 my Dell E1405. I was able to install it, but I'm unable to boot it after the install. Any hackintoshers able to help me?

Canute
10-20-2009, 9:47 PM
I've installed it in VMWare under Linux. You might try that. I got bored with it after a while. No real use for it.
Not that I'm all that familiar with it, but how far does it get?

PolishMike
10-20-2009, 9:56 PM
i had it installed on my laptop a while ago just to confuse the **** out of the college kids. I had ubuntu, windows xp, and osx. Now just have ubuntu and windows 7.

minuteman
10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh man its been a while but isn't there a walk through for your particular distro? I think a lot of people go wrong in setting up the boot sector and maybe formatting properly.

whobob
10-21-2009, 1:27 AM
I was able to install v10.5.4 Leo from LEO4ALL, but still can't get it to boot without a boot disc. I've tried to using chameleon 2-rc3, but no luck.

minuteman
10-21-2009, 1:30 PM
Are you using a dual boot setup? Its really hard to diagnose without checking step by step. Find a good install guide for exactly what you are using and make sure its compatible with your hardware setup.

sfwdiy
10-24-2009, 9:46 PM
I'm running Leopard on generic hardware as a media center in my living room. It's been rock-solid for over a year. I'm using chameleon, not sure what version.

Diagnosing Hackintosh issues is a major pain in the wazoo due to the fact that you need specific kexts that work with your hardware. Mixing and matching until you get it right is somewhat of a process, and you have to rebuild your bootloader and restart every time you change one. Some hardware isn't 100% compatible.

ETA: You have to do some screwing around with your BIOS as well to make sure it'll boot OS X. Again, this is a matter of either trial and error, or finding the information online if it's available.

Start here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Check the hardware compatibility list and see if your particular hardware is supported, then start hunting for the kexts to make it work. Your installation can be totally seamless if you hide the bootloader on your EFI partition. Read the hackintosh forums for all the details. There's a lot of info there, you have to just sift through it and extract what's relevant for your particular machine.

--B