PDA

View Full Version : To shoot or not to shoot? Corrosive ammo!

hudsonaj36
10-20-2009, 4:17 PM
I hear a lot of people saying they shoot corrosive with no problems, but they are shooting this out of Mosins.
My question is: would you shoot corrisive out your 800 dollar or more rifle, for example my PSL? Or would you spring for the more expensive non-corrosive ammo?
All I do is plink so I don't need the good stuff but don't want to ruin my rifle either. I understand cleaning is key with corrosive but does it still do damage?
Your thoughts would be appreciated!

technique
10-20-2009, 4:21 PM
I would shoot it and just clean well with hot water...the lube as normal.

maschronic
10-20-2009, 4:23 PM
you can shoot it, but i wouldn't. i mean, technique is correct. you just have to wash it with hot water to get rid of the salt deposits. is it worth is?? you have to decide that one on your own.

cgseanp1
10-20-2009, 4:33 PM
you can shoot it, but i wouldn't. i mean, technique is correct. you just have to wash it with hot water to get rid of the salt deposits. is it worth is?? you have to decide that one on your own.

It's worth it because non corrosive 7.62x54r is expensive. Non corrosive goes for about .50 a round, as opposed to .20 a round for corrosive. Not to mention, a PSL isn't that nice of a rifle... I mean, they are nice, but nothing that fancy. And they can be had for 600:)

I kinda figured the point of getting a PSL was to be able to shoot that cheap corrosive stuff.

B Strong
10-20-2009, 4:39 PM
I hear a lot of people saying they shoot corrosive with no problems, but they are shooting this out of Mosins.
My question is: would you shoot corrisive out your 800 dollar or more rifle, for example my PSL? Or would you spring for the more expensive non-corrosive ammo?
All I do is plink so I don't need the good stuff but don't want to ruin my rifle either. I understand cleaning is key with corrosive but does it still do damage?

Shoot the corrosive, clean, repeat.

Guys regularly run corrosive through transferable NFA hardware, spray 'em down with windex at the range, clean up with hot soapy water at home. I'd certainly remove a wood stock from the piece when cleaning with water, but other than that, have at it.

hudsonaj36
10-20-2009, 4:51 PM
Thanks for your input, I am leaning towards the corrosive. I just have such a hard time getting past the word corrosive! They should call it something that doesnt sound so menacing.

five.five-six
10-20-2009, 4:55 PM
with a bolt gun, no question, just blast some widex and a patch then oil at the range. with a semiauto... still NP, but it will blow a bit into the action

M1A Rifleman
10-20-2009, 5:03 PM
Sure you can clean it, the problem is how can you be sure you get it all. Primers tend to leak so you need to clean more than just the barrel. If you shoot corrosive in an auto, the gas system and anything else the residue can accumulate on requires cleaning. Unless you have a beater, I would not shoot the stuff.

AM9000
10-20-2009, 5:05 PM
Just shot some threw my new AK this weekend. 7.62 surplus Yugo from J&G.
I used CorrosionX at the range on the piston, gas tube, bore and mag... When I got home I used Hops #9 and CLP and did a super good cleaning... I thought!

The next day I had some slight rust coloration growning on the bore and inside of the gas block... I immediately decided to go to the ammonia / hot soapy water method, then I cleaned and oiled with CorrosionX.

That seemed to have worked. The rust that was there is now gone and no more has come back.

Anyway... even though I got a good scare, I am still going to shoot the corrosive stuff. Just make sure you get the cleaning routine down good...

After reading more on the cleaning required, Hot soapy water with diluted ammonia, or windex, followed by your favorite solvent and oil treatment seems to be the accepted standard. CorrosionX also has a following.

The added cleaning time is underestimated by a lot of people I have read on the web. All in all, it took me twice as long to do a good cleaning on my AK after shooting corrosive ammo as it did to clean my AR's.

paul0660
10-20-2009, 5:06 PM
What exactly is Windex supposed to do? What does ammonia have to do with neutralizing salt? Chemists only please reply.

Solidsnake87
10-20-2009, 5:07 PM
I would shoot it and just clean well with hot water...the lube as normal.

+1. I was originally scared of the stuff since I'd be shooting it out of a $1600 krinkov. It takes some cleaning after but its safe to use. Just clean the weapon immediately after shooting. Clean and scrub well with water then dry and clean with oil/clp as usual. No rust on my krink so far.

cgseanp1
10-20-2009, 5:09 PM
Just shot some threw my new AK this weekend. 7.62 surplus Yugo from J&G.
I used CorrosionX at the range on the piston, gas tube, bore and mag... When I got home I used Hops #9 and CLP and did a super good cleaning... I thought!

The next day I had some slight rust coloration growning on the bore and inside of the gas block... I immediately decided to go to the ammonia / hot soapy water method, then I cleaned and oiled with CorrosionX.

That seemed to have worked. The rust that was there is now gone and no more has come back.

Anyway... even though I got a good scare, I am still going to shoot the corrosive stuff. Just make sure you get the cleaning routine down good...

After reading more on the cleaning required, Hot soapy water with diluted ammonia, or windex, followed by your favorite solvent and oil treatment seems to be the accepted standard. CorrosionX also has a following.

Ya, I remember seeing a study where somebody tested a bunch of different gun cleaners with corrosive ammo. The water method seemed to work better than all of the fancy gun cleaners.

Solidsnake87
10-20-2009, 5:38 PM
Thats cuz water is a highly polar molecule and will break the bonds of ionized salts quite easily.

hudsonaj36
10-20-2009, 6:04 PM
So it sounds to me, like everything else in life, to save some money I will have to put some elbow grease into it. I can handle that.
So would you say that the extra money you save is worth the increased clean time?
I understand if money was not a consideration this wouldn't matter but for me a PSL is a fairly expensive toy.

cgseanp1
10-20-2009, 6:06 PM
So it sounds to me, like everything else in life, to save some money I will have to put some elbow grease into it. I can handle that.
So would you say that the extra money you save is worth the increased clean time?
I understand if money was not a consideration this wouldn't matter but for me a PSL is a fairly expensive toy.

Can you afford to pay .50 a round for non corrosive?

strangerdude
10-20-2009, 6:07 PM
Immediately after you finish shooting spray with windex and when you get home clean with warm water then just a little lube an you are good to go.

hudsonaj36
10-20-2009, 6:15 PM
Thanks again for your replies! I will give the corrosive stuff a try and then do a good cleaning as you all suggested. I'm sure I will be a little nervous so there will reinspection of the weapon.

10-20-2009, 8:31 PM
Thanks again for your replies! I will give the corrosive stuff a try and then do a good cleaning as you all suggested. I'm sure I will be a little nervous so there will reinspection of the weapon.

For the AK variant rifles, make sure to clean the gas port and gas tube, too.

bballwizard05
10-20-2009, 8:40 PM
Maybe its because i shoot .223. but i have never even seen corrosive sold... is it generally only found in 7.62? Also corrosive and lacquered are different. Although both require alot of cleaning:43: want to double check that i am correct in this thinking.

gregorylucas
10-20-2009, 9:06 PM
I've shot corrosive out of my Mosin for years and never had a problem with it. I always just made sure that I cleaned the barrel well afterwards.

Greg

Mssr. Eleganté
10-20-2009, 9:07 PM
What exactly is Windex supposed to do? What does ammonia have to do with neutralizing salt? Chemists only please reply.

Ammonia has nothing to do with neutralizing the salts. The ammonia is to remove copper fouling. Windex is good because it is mostly water, and that is what dissolves the salt. The ammonia and detergent in Windex just help remove the copper and powder fouling. Household ammonia contains about 5% ammonium hydroxide and 95% water.

Somewhere down the line shooters have gotten the idea that ammonia neutralizes corrosive primers. It doesn't really matter that they believe this, since all of the forms of ammonia they have easy access to contain 90% to 95% water and the ammonia will help remove copper fouling.

SPUTTER
10-20-2009, 9:48 PM
I bet the guys that are most afraid of corrosive ammo are the ones who have never used it.

I've done the windex and lube deal, never had a problem. If you have a bunch of the stuff and don't want to use, pm me and I'll take it off your hands.

Solidsnake87
10-21-2009, 2:27 AM

Its really not a big deal to clean. You just have to make sure you do clean it and that you clean it immediately after use. Water is cheap and extremely effective. I know a lot of the cleaners available for use on corrosive ammo residue are very carcinogenic.

joefrank64k
10-21-2009, 5:39 AM

Head on over to http://www.empirearms.com/ and scroll down on the left to "How to clean after using corrosive ammo".

Dennis lays it out very clearly...I've used his method and it works great...easy, cheap, and fast. :D

Hoop
10-21-2009, 8:24 AM
Nothing wrong with corrosive, just clean your damn guns and they will be fine.

If you have a bunch of the stuff and don't want to use, pm me and I'll take it off your hands.

Same.

Beelzy
10-21-2009, 9:00 AM
Ahhh, Corrosive Ammo.

That's the good stuff.........Hoppes cleans corrosive residue just fine.

The Golden Rule of Corrosive Ammo is: NEVER shoot thy gun then leave it overnight.

gemini1
10-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Is Wolf 223 corrosive? well if it is'nt then good , otherwise, I've shot nothing but Wolf brand ammos on my AR and just clean it thoroughly when I get home, not with windex, but with diesel fuel then CLP followed by a quick spray of brake cleaner and finally with Hoppes#9. and finished off with Gunslick oil and Tetra gun grease on all moving parts.

Solidsnake87
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Wolf is not corrosive.

gregorylucas
11-07-2009, 9:18 AM
Anybody have any thoughts as to this cleaning method on Empire Arms? It seems like a decent and fast method but could also be bull.

-Greg

How to properly clean after using corrosive ammo

This is how I do it... it's easy, it's fast, and it's effective. Best of all you can do it while still on the firing-line and thus not offend your significant other with the usually pungent stench of commercial cleaners in your home.

Dilute regular household ammonia (sudsy is best but regular is OK too) to 2/1 or 3/1 with water (it can be as much as 10/1 if the smell really gets to you). Keep in a small bottle to take with you to the range but label it well so you don't mistake it for contact-lens solution or something (yeeeowww!)

After you are done firing and while still at the range moisten (not dripping-wet, but sorta-soaked) a patch and run it down the bore and back once. This instantly will neutralize and dissolve the corrosive salt-compounds from the primers and start in on the copper and powder fouling with a vengeance.

Let stand for thirty seconds or so (just enough time to take off and throw away the ammonia-patch you just used and put a new, dry patch on your rod). Run the dry patch (or several) down the bore and you are most literally done.

DON'T OVERDO IT! More ISN'T better in this case...

You really don't want to slop ammonia (especially if heavily concentrated) all over the blued parts of the gun (as it will likely start to remove bluing after 30 minutes or so) and you also shouldn't leave the ammonia in the bore for an extended period of time (like hours, although I do know folks who do that anyway) as that may (not WILL, but MAY) cause "crazing" (microscopic pitting) of the metal. I also have to caution against slopping ammonia on the wooden parts of your rifle, as it will usually strip the finish down to bare-wood, BUT if you follow my advise on HOW MUCH ammonia to use (only enough to dampen, but not soak, a single patch per gun) you will not EVER experience ANY problems at all...

If you are worried about primer residue getting on the bolt-face you may want to quickly wipe it with the wet patch before throwing the thing away and quickly dry it. Same thing with the gas-tube in a semi-automatic rifle... don't go overboard, just wet it and dry it and get done with it.

As a final precaution (since the ammonia will also kill all lubricants and leave the metal very dry) you can run a patch of gun-oil down the bore and leave it like that for protection from the elements (just be sure to run a dry patch down the bore before shooting it again).

I've been cleaning guns this way (including *every* gun we sell) for nearly thirty years, and have never had rust form in any bore (even here in humid Florida).

However, if you are (like some folks I have met) completely obsessed about leaving traces of ANY powder or copper residue in the bore of your weapon, you can certainly follow up your "field-cleaning" with a detailed, strenuous, traditional cleaning once you are home (or in a week or month from then). But I warn you... your bore is much more be likely to be damaged from your over-enthusiastic scrubbing to get out that "last speck of copper" (which has no affect on the actual accuracy of your firearm) than it will with all the rounds you could possibly send down it during your lifetime.

Dennis Kroh

socomIInato
11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
use corrosive in my mosin, being a bolt action fairly simple procedure to clean. i use pro m7, spray down barrel and spray bolt assly and mag. clean as normal. wipe down with oil. run oil patch down barrel. inspect next day and repeat if your`e paranoid. I also use corrosive ammo in my preban AK`s. same procedure accept you need to clean gas sys.:13: but if you feel uncomfortable using corrosive ammo buy the more expensive non-corrosive and leave that dirt cheap ammo to me!;)

xrMike
11-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Sure you can clean it, the problem is how can you be sure you get it all. Primers tend to leak so you need to clean more than just the barrel. If you shoot corrosive in an auto, the gas system and anything else the residue can accumulate on requires cleaning. Unless you have a beater, I would not shoot the stuff.Me neither, and also because I'm lazy and never clean my guns immediately after shooting them. Sometimes it's days, or even a couple weeks before I get around to it.