PDA

View Full Version : How much for an M1A?

copperhead
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I know, I know....they are pricey, especially in Kalifornia. But I wanted to know the price range of a SOCOM II or an equivelent of an M14 EBR....just curious. A gun show is coming up, and I'd like an idea of what a good deal would be for one.

Also, is .308 still a pain in the arse to get a hold of? Haven't shot it in a while...

Black Majik
10-20-2009, 10:05 AM
You'll rarely find deals at shows, however right now it seems to be a buyers market. Your best bet would be to look through Calgun's classifieds, there's a Socom II for sale for $1600, which is a pretty decent price.

It's tough to price M1As right now, they range from cheap to expensive, on all models.

rp55
10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't know where you are in Central California but Hunter's Supply in Salinas has one of those short-barreled M1A's with a green synthetic stock for $1800. I am not sure of the models. Ammoman (http://ammoman.com/index.htm) had tons of good 7.62 lately but I see he's sold out of most of it now. I picked up a thousand rounds of the Lake City from him and my M1A is going through them like a fat lady through a box of bonbons.

WeekendWarrior
10-20-2009, 10:55 AM
WWRTW

Sumo99
10-20-2009, 11:38 AM
You could get one with the cluster rail if you want the EBR look:

http://sgcusa.com/images/large/Springfield_Armory_M1A_Loaded_ClusterRail_(MA9827) _A.jpg

I believe this gun would run you around $1700
Where? I've been looking for this rifle.

A new loaded without the rail will run about $1700. Throw on the rail and you're looking at closer to $2000 and that's before taxes, shipping, transfer fees, DROS etc.

dot429
10-20-2009, 11:51 AM
If I were you I would buy an M!a for what it is designed for, accurate shooting at medium-longer ranges. If you are looking for a CQB gun just go with an AR.

With all due respect, I am going to have to disagree with you. The M1A is a far more versatile rifle and I would take a SOCOM 16 over an AR any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, because I LOVE ARs, most especially, their modularity, however, my SOCOM 16 would be just as, if not more effective in CQB, with the ability to launch a heavier slug out to greater distances if needed. I think the Squad Scout version is perhaps the most versatile. ARs are truly wonderful and just plain fun, but for serious work, the M1A is my weapon of choice.

To the OP, M1As are worth every penny, yes, they are steep compared to other rifles, but one does indeed get what one pays for. Save up, get the M1A of your dreams, and you will have it for a lifetime.

Best,

Michael

MasterYong
10-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd get a model with the 18" barrel over a SOCOM. Most folks I've talked to that have both prefer the 18" barrel. I have a Scout myself and it's my favorite rifle. I wouldn't get the rail unless you're sure you'll need it. It adds weight to an already heavy gun and if you only want to add one or two accessories there are ways around that (like a railed sling mount) that don't involve adding so much weight.

For a loaded or Scout you can probably get one brand new for about $1600.

.308 is easy to find. Prices are definitely a lot higher than they were a year ago though. You're looking at a minimum of $.45/rd for bulk ammo last I looked.

5ohguy
10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
I purchased my m1a scout about 6 months ago for 1600 from a local shop. The price has gone up about 100 bucks since then.

AR-15s are nice to plink with because 223 is around 35-45 cents a round, but if you can find a good deal on 308, you can usually get it for around 50-60 cents a round. With AR-15s you have to deal with bullet buttons in CA. Not fun, especially for someone who wants to practice fire and reload drills for a weapon that may someday be called upon to save your life. You can hunt with medium and larger game with a 308 and shoot to further effective distances. The irons on the m1a are amazing and I can personally use them out to 400 yards accurately. With mine, 10 clicks and its spot on at 400 yards. No need for optics on a m1a.

m1as are also extremely reliable. Cleaning takes about 2-3 minutes and only really needs to be done every 500+ rounds. If even that. I clean mine every time I shoot since I can though. I doubt mine would ever not fire because it was too dirty.

After debating on getting a AR or m1a, I finally made the decision to go with a m1a scout in a green synthetic stock. I now wanna build a AR-15, but my funds are limited. In time...

RolinThundr
10-20-2009, 12:37 PM
...Also, is .308 still a pain in the arse to get a hold of? Haven't shot it in a while...

I'm seeing more and more .308 on shelves, it's getting better. Until sometime next year when people start hoarding again in preparation for Ab962.

I Love my M1A Standard!!!

SPUTTER
10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
If you are looking for a carbine in .308, why not consider a Saiga. Its a fraction of the price. In my opinion though, M1A in 22" is the only way to go.

MasterYong
10-20-2009, 1:51 PM
I'm seeing more and more .308 on shelves, it's getting better. Until sometime next year when people start hoarding again in preparation for Ab962.

I Love my M1A Standard!!!

I hope you're being sarcastic. AB962 was for handgun ammo- while there are many calibers that could be argued to be a handgun round by an anti-gunner, it'd be tough to pitch .308 as a pistol round.

axhoaxho
10-20-2009, 5:07 PM
I just bought a M1A Scout Squad about a month ago. It was $1,675, before tax and fees.

The M1A's came with factory life time warranty, and no bullet button is required.

I really like the M1A. If I can have only one rifle, I will be happy with it.

Regards,

Crazed_SS
10-20-2009, 5:31 PM
I havent had any issues finding .308

kimo308
10-21-2009, 9:53 AM
I completely agree 100% with everything 5ohguy said. Ironically I also have the same model, a scout in od green stock. I just love the fact that I can drop mags left and right shooting this. Forget BB's.

Barney Gumble
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Although I love my Scout I'm going to say the M1A is less ideal (than an AR) for CQB for a few reasons. Weight, lack of good tactical sling mounting solutions, lack of rails for mounting a light (unless you add a heavy rail system), weight of the ammo, lower capacity mags and the abysmal location of the safety are the main ones I can think of.

Before people jump on me I'm NOT saying you can't do it, I have definitely seen people running them in classes in a CQB setup, I'm just saying the AR beats it on a lot of fronts excluding the power factor. And in a CQB situation the AR power disadvantage is less of a disadvantage anyway so...

kimo308
10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Actually you're right about the cqb situation with an m1a. .308 for cqb rap in a building is overkill.

kimo308
10-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Plus using an ebr for a drdensive situation in CA has slot of risks. in a free state an ar would be my choice, but in CA is a different story.

Barney Gumble
10-21-2009, 11:44 AM
I should add that I'm setting up my Scout as a "light DMR" in the sense that it will have some basic accuracy improvements and be scoped for medium range engagements, but being a Scout, it will be lighter than a full-size M1A. The shorter barrel gives up a little range but only at ranges that I don't care about because I have a bolt gun for LR.

MasterYong
10-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Although I love my Scout I'm going to say the M1A is less ideal (than an AR) for CQB for a few reasons. Weight, lack of good tactical sling mounting solutions, lack of rails for mounting a light (unless you add a heavy rail system), weight of the ammo, lower capacity mags and the abysmal location of the safety are the main ones I can think of.

Before people jump on me I'm NOT saying you can't do it, I have definitely seen people running them in classes in a CQB setup, I'm just saying the AR beats it on a lot of fronts excluding the power factor. And in a CQB situation the AR power disadvantage is less of a disadvantage anyway so...

While I agree that it's a little heavy, I can't really agree with the rest too much.

Rails are easy, you can get a sling adapter with a rail to replace the front sling part to put a light on, adding an unnoticeable amount of weight.

The weight of the ammo is a sort of non-issue, since .308 with well placed shots will take less shots to disable your target, while 5.56 typically takes more.

I'm not sure how the M1A has lower capacity mags. I've seen 30 rounders for M1As and that's the standard for ARs. (but by round:weight ratio you're definitely correct)

I really don't get your statement about the safety. It's right by your trigger finger. What's the issue? I guess maybe if you have shorter fingers it could be tough... my M1A is in CA right now so I can't get to it to see how hard it'd be to reach the safety with shorter fingers. I've never had a problem with it.

I will definitely agree however that the lightweight nature of the AR platform makes it great for CQB. Regardless, I find it extremely unlikely that I'll ever need a rifle for CQB. In my home it's either the 12-ga or a handgun, and I can't imagine myself needing a rifle for indoor use outside of home defense. YMMV.

I'm glad just about everyone can agree however that oth the M1A and AR rocks. :D I say if you have to choose between one or the other... get BOTH!!! :43:

cgseanp1
10-21-2009, 1:30 PM
I could of swore a local gun shop I was in had black m1a's for 900 something... is there a cheaper version, or did I just read tag wrong? Btw, this shop is, imo, way overpriced in general o..well that's all.

Sumo99
10-21-2009, 1:36 PM
I could of swore a local gun shop I was in had black m1a's for 900 something... is there a cheaper version, or did I just read tag wrong? Btw, this shop is, imo, way overpriced in general o..well that's all.
Could of been a Polytech or Norinco, but those usually come with wood stocks. I guess someone could have changed the stock.

Barney Gumble
10-21-2009, 1:49 PM
While I agree that it's a little heavy, I can't really agree with the rest too much.

Rails are easy, you can get a sling adapter with a rail to replace the front sling part to put a light on, adding an unnoticeable amount of weight.

The weight of the ammo is a sort of non-issue, since .308 with well placed shots will take less shots to disable your target, while 5.56 typically takes more.

I'm not sure how the M1A has lower capacity mags. I've seen 30 rounders for M1As and that's the standard for ARs. (but by round:weight ratio you're definitely correct)

I really don't get your statement about the safety. It's right by your trigger finger. What's the issue? I guess maybe if you have shorter fingers it could be tough... my M1A is in CA right now so I can't get to it to see how hard it'd be to reach the safety with shorter fingers. I've never had a problem with it.

I will definitely agree however that the lightweight nature of the AR platform makes it great for CQB. Regardless, I find it extremely unlikely that I'll ever need a rifle for CQB. In my home it's either the 12-ga or a handgun, and I can't imagine myself needing a rifle for indoor use outside of home defense. YMMV.

I'm glad just about everyone can agree however that oth the M1A and AR rocks. :D I say if you have to choose between one or the other... get BOTH!!! :43:

Good conversation but I'm going to move it to a new thread because we're hijacking this poor guy's thread!

Vanguard
10-21-2009, 2:01 PM
I've been wanting to get my grubby little hands on an M1A for quite some time. I never see them in shops and they're backordered for almost a year direct from SA. :(

Omega13device
10-21-2009, 4:01 PM
Shameless promotion alert: I have an M1A Scout for sale at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=227446