View Full Version : Wireless Card Issues

10-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Could be the programming, I to had a lot of issues with my wireless card and my daughters netbook did not, I took off the programming that came with the card and started using the microsoft programming and no more issues.

10-20-2009, 7:49 AM
What could be the reason my desktop w/ a wireless card has trouble receiving a signal?

I have two computers; one downstairs w/ a wireless router and the one upstairs w/ the wireless card. The one w/ the card has trouble receiving the wireless signal; it drops off often, takes a while to acquire the signal when the computer wakes up and usually only gets one or two bars. When my daughters use their laptops in the same area or even farther away from the router and get a good signal w/out dropping off, etc.

Could it be a bad card? I've heard that USB wireless receivers are better than the card type...is this true?

The upstairs computer is in the room directly above the downstairs computer, so it's not that far away or have too many obstructions.

10-20-2009, 8:13 AM
USB receivers are not any better than Internal PCI or a laptop PCMCIA card,
buy another card and make sure it supports 100 or 125mbps. Usually the Wireless cards that support 54MBPS don't have good range.

10-20-2009, 9:09 AM
Depending on the card you have, you may be able to change wireless modes (802.11a,b,g). That could potentially help, as well as changing transmit power on the card. Also changing channels may help as well but that can be a bit more involved...