PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Mark 4 CQT Tactical Rifle Scope for AR Build???

dot429
10-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Greetings all,

I've been scratching my head about the Leupold CQT for some time. I've yet to get my mitts on one to look through it. I have been seriously considering one for my JP Enterprises CTR-02 build, but the price of admission is steep:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=199290

If anyone out there has some hands-on with this optic, I sure would appreciate your encouragement of my retail therapy, moreover, I would equally appreciate input that might discourage me from spending that much on one optic that would be relegated to an already highly Gucci-arized AR.

I've been down the Aimpoint, Eotech, Bushnell, and a few other red dot-type optic road and was thinking that I'd probably just get another Eotech for the CTR-02, simply because they work, that is, once one gets used to them. I would, however, like to try something else and my eyes would appreciate some magnification.

Thanks in advance.

X-NewYawker
10-19-2009, 11:46 PM
The accupoint 1-4xs and the Leupold are different than red dots -- I like hat at the 1x end of the range, you keep both eyes and co-witness like a red dot, but you can twist the focal length ring and have a 4X to engage more distant targets.

supersonic
10-20-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a MK4 CQ-T on my AR-10 carbine and I can tell you that after years of using only an EoTech 512 on my main AR carbine, this thing is manna from HEAVEN!! The extra range you get from that 1-3X makes target acquisition @ 100+ yds. a snap. The clarity/glass & brightness quality is top-notch (pure Leupold) and it is really 'over-built.' What I also like is the extra 'mini-rails' on the top/side of the body. I mounted my LaserMax UNI-Green on it and zeroed the dot through the glass out at 200 yds. so that when I have the MK4 at full power, I can 'pinpoint' and make instant & rapid hits out @ some major distance!:cool: One thing- I would shop around and look for a better price. I paid $799 for mine less than a year ago. Hope that helps!

Vanguard
10-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Seems pricey. I think if I was going to spend that much, I'd take the extra leap get an acog.

osis32
10-20-2009, 1:29 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEUPOLD-MARK-4-1-3X14MM-RIFLE-CQ-T-CQT-CQ-SCOPE-52155_W0QQitemZ220492675835QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3356633afb

cheaper on ebay

THT
10-20-2009, 4:38 AM
The only thing I don't like about the CQ/T and the reason why I no longer own one is the lack of eye relief at full magnification. I'd get an Accupoint as a TR24 can be had for about $650

X-NewYawker
10-20-2009, 6:36 AM
Seems pricey. I think if I was going to spend that much, I'd take the extra leap get an acog.

Acog "eye relief" sux

You get a feeling like you're cramped on the gun.

maxicon
10-20-2009, 7:49 PM
A few thoughts on the CQ/T:

Plus:
Sturdy
Extra rails (lots of people don't use them, though)
Uses AA battery for illumination
Etched reticle - still works with no power
Fast, simple CQB reticle
Built-in mount
True 1x

Minus:
Heavy (17.5 oz)
Only 1-3x
Illumination isn't for bright daylight
Mount isn't QR (LaRue made one, but I don't know if they still offer it)
No ranging reticle
Smallish FOV and exit pupil at 3x

Back when you could get them for $400 used and $500 new, they were a pretty good scope for the money (I got one cheap on ebay). These days, at $700-800, I'd seriously consider spending the money on something else.

Jonathan Doe
10-20-2009, 8:11 PM
I had a CQT scope on my AR, but I sold it and bought an EOTech. The rail on my upper is short and I could not mount BUIS if I mount the CQT. Now, I can use both itron sights and the dot sight.

randy
10-21-2009, 4:01 AM
The CQT isn't a good choice sits too high, weighs too much, lousy for range finding blah blah blah.

There are better choices out there for the same or less money.

Trijicon Accupoint TR21 or better TR24. Leupold 1.5 to 5 with BDC, Meopta Meostar K dot reticle. I think Bushnell has something out there I don't remember the model. Millet makes a 1 to 4 not a great scope but cheap and will works ok for 3 gun.

ACOG's work well and were the go to scope sometime ago. If I were using one I'd put iron sites on the side.

If you don't mind the iron on the side option then you can get a 3x9 or something similar.

CK1
10-21-2009, 1:28 PM
[QUOTE=dot429;3241401]Greetings all,

I've been scratching my head about the Leupold CQT for some time.

If anyone out there has some hands-on with this optic, I sure would appreciate your encouragement of my retail therapy, moreover, I would equally appreciate input that might discourage me from spending that much on one optic that would be relegated to an already highly Gucci-arized AR.
[QUOTE]

I can't speak personally on this because I've just recently started down the road of building my 1st AR. BUT, if you're looking to here from someone who I would consider an expert, I'll tell you this...

Just 2 hrs. ago I was telling 1 of the guys here at work that I was starting an AR build and asked him what he thought what be a good optic. Reason I asked him is because he is a former USMC Sniper School Instructor.

It just so happens that his personal choice is the Leupold CQT.

I didn't know what that was exactly and then here you are asking about it.
Thought I'd pass this along.

dot429
10-21-2009, 5:29 PM
[QUOTE=dot429;3241401]Greetings all,

[QUOTE]

I can't speak personally on this because I've just recently started down the road of building my 1st AR. BUT, if you're looking to here from someone who I would consider an expert, I'll tell you this...

Just 2 hrs. ago I was telling 1 of the guys here at work that I was starting an AR build and asked him what he thought what be a good optic. Reason I asked him is because he is a former USMC Sniper School Instructor.

It just so happens that his personal choice is the Leupold CQT.

I didn't know what that was exactly and then here you are asking about it.
Thought I'd pass this along.

Thanks for passing that along.

I will eventually succumb to the pressure and buy one, I just keep thinking that I could get two EoTechs for the one CQT.

I guess, I should break out the plastic... and get-r-done!

Addax
10-21-2009, 6:12 PM
I love my CQ/T.

(Btw, if you guys want a great deal on these scopes, just try us out. I have sold many of these scopes and they are more popular than you think).

Variable Magnification between 1-3x

Illuminated Reticle (no not as bright in daylight, but works just perfectly in dark and shadows)

Leupold Mark4 scope (their high end tactical line of water proof, fog proof and shock proof scopes)

It is heavy for a scope, but not any heavier than running an Eotech or Aimpoint with a Magnifier

LaRue and ARMS have a CQT QD mounts

The objective is small, but I found it to be ok for my shooting purposes.

Eye Relief is not Excellent, but I have shot other scopes with far worse eye relief.

I also like the accupoint TR24.

Here is a pic of me shooting one of my 6.8 Piston Uppers in full recoil with the Leupold CQT scope mounted.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/Addax68gpu-2.jpg

[quote=CK1;3248660][quote=dot429;3241401]Greetings all,

Thanks for passing that along.

I will eventually succumb to the pressure and buy one, I just keep thinking that I could get two EoTechs for the one CQT.

I guess, I should break out the plastic... and get-r-done!

randy
10-22-2009, 2:27 AM
I love my CQ/T.

(Btw, if you guys want a great deal on these scopes, just try us out. I have sold many of these scopes and they are more popular than you think).

Illuminated Reticle (no not as bright in daylight, but works just perfectly in dark and shadows)

Leupold Mark4 scope (their high end tactical line of water proof, fog proof and shock proof scopes)

It is heavy for a scope, but not any heavier than running an Eotech or Aimpoint with a Magnifier

Eye Relief is not Excellent, but I have shot other scopes with far worse eye relief.

Here is a pic of me shooting one of my 6.8 Piston Uppers in full recoil with the Leupold CQT scope mounted.

[quote=dot429;3249913][quote=CK1;3248660]

How is it going prone without much eye relief? With the scope so high it looks like your POA POI would be quite a bit different on close shots.

How's the balance of the rifle when compared to other scopes?

I'm sure they're out there but I don't see people going from say a Accupoint to a CQT but I do see people going from a CQT to something else.

dot429
10-22-2009, 3:51 AM
[QUOTE=Addax;3250148]I love my CQ/T.

[quote=dot429;3249913]

How is it going prone without much eye relief? With the scope so high it looks like your POA POI would be quite a bit different on close shots.

How's the balance of the rifle when compared to other scopes?

I'm sure they're out there but I don't see people going from say a Accupoint to a CQT but I do see people going from a CQT to something else.

Thanks for your reply

Could you please PM me w/your price?

I'm going to buy one from midway or someone eventually... unless I can get a loaner for a FAM.

Thanks,

Michael