PDA

View Full Version : Dismal Republican candidates for governor

nicki
10-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I am not happy with any of the Republican candidates for governor.

I would be happy with a conservative like Tom McClintock or a true Libertarian, but the current choices of RINOS is unacceptable.

I do believe that Jerry Brown will ultimately win in Nov 2010, however a message needs to be sent to the republican party that we want to have different choices than the 3 RINOS.

The Republican party needs to be rebuilt, but becoming more like the worst parts of the democratic party is not the way.

Rather than us make posts *****ing about Campbell, Whitman and Ponzier, I propose we send them a message, and here is how it works.

We pick our favorite or least favorite posters, assuming they are California residents and met all the other requirements, nominate them to run for govenor of this left state.

Assuming that those who are nominated would be willing to actually be on the ballot we proceed.

The truth is we probably are not going to win, but we can have fun and send a clear message of our disgust with all the candidates for governor of the Republican party.

Filing fees are about 3,500 dollars, but those fees are waived if 10,000 valid signatures are submitted.

We have 10,000 active members and we have over 30,000 people on our site.

I propose we go with the 10,000 valid signatures since that would send a message loud and clear to the RINO republicans.

I bet the RINOs are just paying the filing fees, just by having our candidate qualify with valid signatures while the others are paying filing fees will be a story in itself.

This is something we can do, the question is will we do it. We can weigh the pros can cons, but the bottom line is all the republican candidates who are running are not on our side and never will be on our side.

The rank and file of many republican organizations are going to be sitting this one out already, the republican base is evaporating at least on the Governors race.

This brings us up to what we would need to do. We need to have our own nominating process because this forum does have a split between conservatives and libertarians on some issues.

The key is could we hold ourselves together and rally behind our person regardless of if they are a conservative or libertarian.

We stand behind our choosen candidate regardless of their positions on other issues such as abortion, gay marriage, position on drug war, taxes, schools, environment, education, because we will be solidly single issue.

I believe that the collective intelligence of this board will probably nominate someone who would probably be better than the current three on all the above issues anyway.

The big issue though will come to the voter guide.

Our candidate gets to make a statement to all registered republicans in their voter guide and our candidate can focus on the 2nd amendment solidly.

There are many gun owners that are in fact single issue voters and many of them are registered republicans.

The return on our investment of time would be enormous. We could effectively become the gun lobby for California.

Sure our candidate will probably lose, but calguns will win because this effort will result in massive growth of this website and ultimately the calguns foundation.

I propose that we see who our nominees are, and then we pick the one who would be the most fun to put on the ballot.

I know this is a long post, but it felt more productive than bitiching about the three RINOs.

Nicki

7x57
10-19-2009, 10:26 PM
The problem is that someone mainly associated with gun rights who qualifies with all gunny signatures is pitching the media a slowball as much as demonstrating as gun owners in Sacramento.

7x57

bwiese
10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Paging Barry Goldwater's clone...

In the meantime, I'm voting for JB.

VW*Mike
10-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah, in this case I think its better to take the lesser of the two evils ( which it ALWAYS seems to be, this time being a Democrat) and vote on their current record of the 2nd Amendment. In every way this state is screwed in all holes top to bottom, no matter what, so lets at least try and keep our gun rights. I would love to back a Calgunner IF it were a viable option, but we would be laughed at by the state running on the "gun rights" party ticket...... Our best bet would be trying to reach out and interview our most friendly candidate (Brown) at this time and try to let him know he can secure a boat load of votes with a few promises.

Someone help me out on this, is Calguns even able to do such a thing? Are we able legally to endorse a political party or take contributions?

bwiese
10-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Someone help me out on this, is Calguns even able to do such a thing? Are we able legally to endorse a political party or take contributions?

I think we're just best of spreading the msg that AG Brown has helped CA gunnies in a variety of tactical (DOJ FD ->BoF downsizing & reform, Rossi gone, Iggy gone, new proposed regulations shelved) and strategic (DOJ was quiet and quashed any Heller antigun briefs, plus AG filed a pro-RKBA amicus brief for Chicago case).

CalNRA
10-19-2009, 11:22 PM

yep.

7x57
10-19-2009, 11:23 PM

OK, so who lost the tissue sample?

I just suddenly imagined a Goldwater clone army. :chris:

7x57

dfletcher
10-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I think the Republican Party will get the "we're tired of RINOs" message when they see how low the turnout is in the primary - I'm going to write in Meldrim Thompson as a protest vote.

You know, if several thousand folks did a write in vote for a former NH Governor who's been dead for about 10 years - maybe that would be a good way of sending a message.

steadyrock
10-19-2009, 11:32 PM

In the meantime, I'm voting for JB.

Barry Jr. is only 71.

Dare to dream...

7x57
10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Barry Jr. is only 71.

So the choices are JB or BJ, then?

7x57

lioneaglegriffin
10-20-2009, 12:57 AM
it depends on who it is.

nicki
10-20-2009, 2:04 AM
We know that whoever we pick will not win, but what it will do is make sure that the 3 RINOs can't duck the gun issue.

Many people will assume that the Republican candidate will be pro gun and you can bet that party loyalists will support these any of these 3 over JB.

You can bet that the 3 RINOS will avoid the gun issue and even try to mask their true colors.

Tom Campbell went as far as to talk about how there may be a constitutional right to bear arms when he was running against Feinstein in a senate race that he crashed and burned on.

JB from his actions is our friend, but he has to keep a low profile.

If we want to help JB, then lets put someone on the Republican ballot who will force the 3 RINOS out on a whole bunch of controversial social issues that they are ducking.

The more that Republicans find out about them, the lower their poll numbers will go.

Barry Goldwater may be gone, but there are alot of Ron Paul people in California, so we may have our clones already.

I'm sure that we aren't the only ones who are looking at this issue, but what if we were the only ones who actually took action.

We don't have a none of the above option for the ballot, our candidate could be that defacto option.

In the highly unlikely event that our person actually won the primary it would mean the general election could be spent addressing real problems instead of the usual personal attacks.

A beaten up and weakened RINO will be easier for JB to beat in the general election.

The reality is our congressional and state legislative seats are pretty much party secure seats anyway.

Nicki

bigstick61
10-20-2009, 2:08 AM
It would have to be someone who is qualified and who is well-rounded on the issues and can be competent as governor. I would support any conservative who challenges the current GOP primary candidates.

Ultimately, I think that unless the GOP nominates someone like Whitman, the GOP candidate despite the lackluster gun stances would probably be the lesser of two evils in the general election, even if Brown is the Democratic candidate. Having read about some of his other beliefs and political stances, I really don't think his alleged gun stances which may or may not be acted upon (orhave an opportunity to be acted upon, given the legislature we have) makes up for the rest. Then again if it came to that I might just vote for a 3rd Party candidate or an independent one just for the hell of it.

loather
10-20-2009, 2:20 AM
So the choices are JB or BJ, then?

I'm biting my tongue. Really, this isn't easy for me. :)

7x57
10-20-2009, 7:40 AM
I'm biting my tongue. Really, this isn't easy for me. :)

Try. :innocent:

That said, if that were really the matchup I'm pretty sure Jerry Brown wouldn't stand a chance.

7x57

escon1
10-20-2009, 7:58 AM
We need a third party pronto.

wash
10-20-2009, 8:59 AM
Ultimately, I think that unless the GOP nominates someone like Whitman, the GOP candidate despite the lackluster gun stances would probably be the lesser of two evils in the general election, even if Brown is the Democratic candidate. Having read about some of his other beliefs and political stances, I really don't think his alleged gun stances which may or may not be acted upon (orhave an opportunity to be acted upon, given the legislature we have) makes up for the rest. Then again if it came to that I might just vote for a 3rd Party candidate or an independent one just for the hell of it.
Well, I guess if you're going to throw away your vote, a Calguns candidate would be better than nothing.

berto
10-20-2009, 9:42 AM
If we're going to make a statement to the republican party about the importance of 2A issues we need our candidate to focus solely on 2A issues. No talk of anything else. Single issue focus or it doesn't work.

nat
10-20-2009, 9:46 AM
Jerry Brown seems to be the only decent candidate at all.

madmike
10-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I respectfully decline the nomination.

-madmike.

bigstick61
10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, I guess if you're going to throw away your vote, a Calguns candidate would be better than nothing.

It's either thator voting for the lesser of two evils again, which in this case I don't think would be Jerry Brown. 2A issues are not the end-all, be-all of politics and I am naturally skeptical of someone as far to the left as Brown being pro-gun anyways, not that itmakes up for the rest of his politics.

Aegis
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
When the California Republican party wants to run a solid candidate, he or she will get my vote. The current batch of Republican candidates are not pro-2A. I disagree with JB on 95% of the issues, but he is the most pro-2A candidate, so he will get my vote. Besides, I doubt any of the Republican candidates will get more than 35% of the vote.

I hope the RNC learned its lesson from the last presidential election. When they run a weak candidate who thinks he is a "progressive", they will lose.

Super Spy
10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
If we only had a strong 2A candidate that was a great BS'er....Obama got elected mostly by not saying as many stupid things as McCain and Palin, not that McCain wouldn't be a better president, but after he made his 100 years in Iraq comment, it was all downhill after that.

I can't believe the best 2A candidate is a Dem......

nk-1911
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
We need Sarah Palin.

wildhawker
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Brown has become pretty pragmatic in his approach to governing; further, he's the only [provably] pro-civil-liberties candidate out there. Small/efficient govt+gun rights+shrewd politics=win.

Sorry (not really), only solidly pro-2A candidates will be getting my vote.

It's either thator voting for the lesser of two evils again, which in this case I don't think would be Jerry Brown. 2A issues are not the end-all, be-all of politics and I am naturally skeptical of someone as far to the left as Brown being pro-gun anyways, not that itmakes up for the rest of his politics.

bigstick61
10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't know if I would characterize Brown as solidly pro-gun. I really haven't been able to find much of anything outside of this site.

wildhawker
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't know if I would characterize Brown as solidly pro-gun. I really haven't been able to find much of anything outside of this site.

Why not? If you have no other evidence besides what is presented here, on what do you base your conclusion?

Have you found much detailed info and analysis on McDonald, Sykes, Peņa, bullet buttons, AOWs or Roster issues outside this site?

This is a focused group; having specific (and sometimes exclusive/proprietary) info on gun-related politics and policy should not surprise you.

hvengel
10-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Brown has become pretty pragmatic in his approach to governing; further, he's the only [provably] pro-civil-liberties candidate out there. Small/efficient govt+gun rights+shrewd politics=win.

Sorry (not really), only solidly pro-2A candidates will be getting my vote.

I have been watching Brown now for some time. From what I have seen he is closer to being a libertarian (small "l") than a "liberal" (meaning what passes for a liberal these days; IE. a leftist) although he is a little "out there" on a few issues. Still he does have a long standing bias toward small/efficient government and has had this bias since before his last stint as governor.

One of the things that earned him some of his reputation as being out of the mainstream were some of the things he did to cut state spending when he was governor (IE. not using the governor's mansion and big limo; IE. he used a Dodge Dart instead of the limo). Many of these things were symbolic (using the Dart didn't really save that much money) and I think wildhawker is correct that Brown is now more pragmatic and that this will result in him being more effective at dealing with the actual issues of how to reduce the cost of government.

Mr Wizard
10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Even if a pro-A2 candidate could get elected, he/she would have to get approval from the legislature. The governor doesn't make law, he only has veto power. The legislature could overturn any veto if the really worked hard enough.

We need control of the special interest money and blood sucking unions to win. That's how Obama got elected.

bigstick61
10-20-2009, 12:50 PM
That's part of my point. He is unlikely to be able to do that much to change the laws in this State for the better, so what is he going to do in areas other than the RKBA? What I've read does not seem encouraging. Will he continue to be anti-business and environmentalist while governor? Would he reduce thesize and scope of government, or at least take a hard stance, even if the legislature will override him? I'm not confident of that at all. If someone has the info though I'd absolutely love to see it.

7x57
10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
IE. he used a Dodge Dart instead of the limo

:thumbsup: Dodge Dart. :D

7x57

7x57
10-20-2009, 1:00 PM

The fact is, you won't. Wonder how a basically pro-2A politician survives in the California Democratic party? By being stealthy.

But...it's quite clear that he's been pro-2A below the radar. Multiple insider sources corroborate each other. But it isn't going to get posted around, because that would force him to choose between his career and support for the 2A. There is no doubt he'd choose his career--he's not "one of us" in that sense. But the same is probably true on other issues--he's as solidly pro-2A as he probably is on other issues, just quieter because he goes against the Received wisdom of his party.

7x57

nicki
10-20-2009, 1:30 PM
The reality is the 3 RINOS probably will have a hard time raising money, they will probably self fund much of their campaigns.

The few conservative republicans that we have left in this state that could get any support across the state won't run because the truth is the chance of winning is slim.

As such, the moderates in the Republican party are trying to turn the party against us by claiming that the only way the republicans can win is to put forth candidates who support "sensible gun laws".

What ever happened to the party of "Less government, more freedom"?

None of the 3 RINOS represent those values unless your definition for less government only applies to corporations.

The Republican party is losing because they are not true to their own professed values.

We don't have to have a "Great Candidate", what we need is someone who is extremely articulate on the 2nd amendment and a few other key issues.

The state budget is blown because we have too many laws, too much regulation, which leads to too much spending.

We have many posts about how to reach California gun owners. Having a Candidate running in the Republican primary because all the major candidates are wrong on the gun issue lets everyone know we are here.

We have 10,000 active members, we have some very creative posters on this board, people who have a sense of humor.

Personally I would lean toward a Ron Paul type Republican.

We could have someone who is Pro Gun, Moderately Pro Life, pro pot legalization because of 9th, 10th amendment and commerce clause issues and if we wanted to have real fun, anti prop 8 because marriage should be a function of God, not the state.

The media likes stories with conflict and controversy.

Many on this board feel that we need to help JB.

Well, IMHO if the 3 RINOs have to deal with the above issues, they will be seriously damaged by the end of the primaries if they can't duck these issues.

The Republican party needs to be purged of the NEOCONS and the MODERATES and replaced with Libertarian Conservatives who will make the party true to what is supposed to be it's core message:

Less Government, more freedom.

I don't expect us to put much effort into this, we float this as a trial balloon and see what happens.

Sure there will probably be some backlash, some mistakes will be made, and we probably will anger some people on our side.

But you know, if you want an omellette, you have to break some eggs.

We have a governors race every 4 years, being against gun rights was the kiss of death in California in the 1982 and 1986 elections. We had setbacks in 1989, but we fought back in the early 1990's and for a short while we came close to actually getting shall issue.

The 3 RINOs think we have no choice, all I am saying is let's have a solid Pro Gun candidate that we can vote for to send a message in the primary, then after the dust clears, support JB in the general election.

Many gun owners will vote for the 3 RINOS because many will assume that JB is bad on guns because he is a liberal democrat.

You can bet the republican party is going to downplay the gun values of any of the 3 RINOs in the general election.

The RNC is probably going to put pressure on the national NRA to tie the hands of the state NRA regarding the governor's race, I'm not going to say the NRA will cave, but the pressure will be there.

Nicki

Nicki

7x57
10-20-2009, 1:34 PM
What ever happened to the party of "Less government, more freedom"?

Dubya re-defined it. Seriously. :(

We don't have to have a "Great Candidate", what we need is someone who is extremely articulate on the 2nd amendment and a few other key issues.

More than likely we need a candidate who is extremely articulate on other issues and somewhat stealthy on guns. :mad:

7x57

Desert Cowboy
10-20-2009, 1:42 PM

It seems that most here feel a third party candidate is a waste of a vote. I think the only wasted vote is the one not cast. There will be two strong 2A candidates on the ballot, but they will get overlooked and thrown aside by most people in the general population, and from Calguns as well. The Libertarian candidate and the Constitution party candidate will both be strong supporters of gun rights and smaller government.
The constitution party is putting up Chelene Nightingale for governor, you can check out their entire platform at their website but for guns it is something like this: To bear arms. Bear: to carry, possess, transport. Arms: anything used in battle or to best another. you can check out the constitution party at constitutionparty.com (http://www.constitutionparty.com)
The Libertarian party hasnt yet picked their candidate for governor, that will happen at their convention you can check out the libertarians at lp.org (http://www.lp.org).

It may be a wasted vote in the eyes of most but if you vote your principles and your core beliefs, and if those beliefs include second amendment rights near the top of that list, then these two political parties should be considered as voting options.

lobonegro
10-20-2009, 1:50 PM
I think Nicki sort of has this right. We (NRA, CGN, RKBA lobby) need to have input on who is going to be nominated. Time to stop allowing RINO's the ability to run as republicans.

The republican party needs to hold strict guidelines as to who can run under their ticket. Don't allow fringe candidates to define the republican party, but define themselves. We should have a core set of beliefs that all repubs should hold true with an allowance of +/-15% variance to reflect the county and/or state's leanings.

Lets say for example as non negotiable core beliefs,
1) Fiscally conservative
2) Pro 2nd ammendment
3) Strict constructionism

And other issues that will allow us to capture a larger segment of the population here in California,
1) Pro-Choice

But that the republican party has the ability to deny them the title of republican for the sake of running for office.

nicki
10-20-2009, 1:53 PM
More than likely we need a candidate who is extremely articulate on other issues and somewhat stealthy on guns.

Not in the Republican primary we don't, especially when the other three are anti gun.

Hell, that guy who opened carried in NH and Chris Mathews tried to publically tear apart on hardball would probably get at least 10 percent of the vote just by putting his name on the ballot here.

We don't need a stealth candidate, what we need is someone who can speak, who isn't a suit because that is what people are tired off.

I don't think our person will win, but what they will do is send a message and at the same time let frustrated gun owners know they have a home and that home is calguns.

Nicki

GuyW
10-20-2009, 1:54 PM
....The Republican party is losing because they are not true to their own professed values.

versus this:

We could have someone who is Pro Gun, Moderately Pro Life, pro pot legalization because of 9th, 10th amendment and commerce clause issues and if we wanted to have real fun, anti prop 8 because marriage should be a function of God, not the state.

A pro-gun RINO? no thanx.

7x57
10-20-2009, 2:20 PM
A pro-gun RINO? no thanx.

While I generally agree with the sentiment, the Constitutional argument that the feds have no power to regulate drugs seems reasonable to me.

The bigger problem is that we'd have to re-wire too many people's heads to understand the point. :( It's too fine a distinction. I'm not really in favor of legalized drugs (the main reason to consider it is the amount of money it funnels to the worst people in the world, same as with alcohol Prohibition), but I'm in favor of obeying the law and letting the states define their policies.

Freedom means being free to do bad things, and that applies to state powers as well as to individual freedom.

7x57

Biff...
10-20-2009, 5:52 PM
I'm re registering lib, just to vote for Jerry in the primaries. Thats the best chance to get a decent candidate.

vrylak
10-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I'll just write in Tom McClintock. Wouldn't it be amazing if he'd won just by being a write-in.

bigstick61
10-21-2009, 1:15 AM
Barring someone entering the race at the last minute, I'll probably write in McClintock as well.

nicki
10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
If Tom McClintock enters the race, he will have my vote.

That could mean that we would have to choose between Tom McClintock and Jerry Brown.

That is a election problem I could live with.:D

Right now I am dreading that I am going to have to vote for a Democrat to save my gun rights in November.

Nicki

nicki
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
If Tom McClintock enters the race, he will have my vote.

That could mean that we would have to choose between Tom McClintock and Jerry Brown.

That is a election problem I could live with.:D

Right now I am dreading that I am going to have to vote for a Democrat to save my gun rights in November.

Nicki

mcsoupman
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks Nicki for your passion about doing something. I know we have a big governor's race coming up. If JB is more Libertarian than Liberal, I can accept that. AT 35 I wasn't quite available for his first time around, but I remember lots of comments being shared about him. Many have said he can't do much because of our state legislature anyway.

Well, why don't we target this crazy legislature then? How can we target some of the worst offenders (e.g. DeLeon) and unseat them?

bigstick61
10-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I doubt JB is a libertarian in the sense people are thinking about (libertarian conservative0 or even tending towards those sort of policies. There are leftist forms of libertarianism as well, but they are not exactly worth promoting (like the libertarian socialists, although I doubt JB is one of them).

mcsoupman
10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I just wrote this letter to my county rep chairperson. I am going to forward one to the state chair. I spoke very directly to get his attention hopefully.

Dear Fresno County Chair Dr. Sidhu,

Greetings! Let me start by saying thank you for being involved in the decision making process of our party and our State. I love California, but I am saddened more and more after seeing the direction that our state continues to take. We see our state continue to raise taxes and pass more laws restricting our liberties. Each week I seem to learn about more of my acquaintances packing up and leaving our state out of disgust. Most of these acquaintances are conservatives.

I participate in a web forum for gun enthusiasts from our state. As you are probably aware, pro 2nd amendment enthusiasts tend to be conservative also. Well it seems that the the current leading 3 republican candidates have taken strong anti-gun stances. This has infuriated this community. So much so, that it is almost become evident that my associates will look to Jerry Brown as our next Gov'r because of his pro-gun actions and history. As a long time conservative Republican with a legacy of conservatism, I am saddened we have put forth candidates with such anti-gun sentiment. We already have to scratch and fight for conservative issues in this state and I feel that alienating this segment will only cause further deterioration of our party.

This disappointment is shared with many of my associates. I would encourage our state leadership to look at courting this segment and encouraging their participation if we plan on furthering our party.

Respectfully submitted,

John
Fresno, CA

nicki
10-21-2009, 11:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itkq_lXJ9SI&feature=PlayList&p=4A16E2ADE41AC768&index=7

I wanted us to have some humor:D

Nicki

7x57
10-21-2009, 11:59 PM

OK, now that's funny.

OTOH, wouldn't Nevada be the place to run on a platform of "I'll hump anything in a dress and I'm packing *lots* of guns?" :D

7x57

SkiDevil
10-22-2009, 1:48 AM
Hello Nikki,
Your thoughts and intentions are admirable and show genuine support to the cause many on this site share: Gun Rights. However, the manner in which you propose to make a 'political statement' may not be the best course of action.

The issue of Gun Rights, Abortion, Gay Marriage, and other contentious concerns of the residents of the State often preclude rational thought and/ or actions on many because of the emotions involved. So, what does one do to counteract the situation of no legitimate (Pro-2nd Amend.) Republican Candidates for the Office of Governor of California? Run some unknown in an attempt to capture a few sound bites and maybe some newspaper articles or support an existing viable candidate. Some feel the more prudent course of action is the latter. I tend to agree.

Although running a CalGuns or other 2nd Amendment Organization's candidate would be pleasing to many of us who support the right to keep and bear arms it will end-up being as fruitful a campaign as the porn star who ran for Governor in a recent election.

The fact of the matter is that the two party system is clearly broken. Essentially, the Republican and Democratic parties have both failed the American public. What is truly needed is a change in the manner in which political candidates are elected. And, a party or parties who can effectively stand-up for the majority of the population of our State and country, not just the wealthy corporations and elites who compromise that top 1% in wealth.

What party would that be? Libertarian, Green, or whatever other party which is registered/ capable of offering a viable candidate.

Unfortunately, I wish that I had the answer, but I do not. It will take many of us around the Nation to wake-up those who have been too apathetic to push forward and make the government of the State and the Nation to work for the people. Electing candidates with the best interests in mind for their constituents is what all of us really need.

In California, we have so many problems right now. I am not certain how many people really will concern themselves with anything other than the economy and the 12% plus unemployment rate. Most families are struggling just to make it by nowadays so how pivotal personal rights will be in the coming election for Governor is debatable at best. As someone already commented on this website we are definitely in the minority.

So what then? To begin with winning an election principally requires two primary components;

1. Name Recognition

2. Money/ Campaign Contributions

So, if there is a Multi-Millionaire CalGuns member or resident in the state who qualifies to run and is VERY well known such a plan may work.

Otherwise, I believe if this organization should chose to support or promote any candidate for the office of Governor that it should be an existing and VIABLE candidate.

Should that person be Jerry Brown or another non-Republican? Only time will tell. Although it is fair to say that there are exceptions to the rule, many political candidates will make promises or take a particular position when running and reverse themselves upon being elected. Although it may be possible that one of the final candidates running for the office is not such a person. We shall see.

Inconclusion, if the NRA or any other Pro-2nd Amendment desires to gain support from ANY of the candidates it is going to take money. Maybe even a great deal of money. Even though I do not agree with our current system for campaign financing those are the current rules and if we as a group want a place in the game it will take money to 'acquire' support for our position. As the old cliche goes "money talks and bull**** walks."

The last thing that I will state is that after completing a Bachelors degree in Political Science and studying Public Policy in Graduate school there is very LITTLE difference between a Republican and a Democrat these days. I have worked in the Public sector with both Republicans and Democrats and observed this first-hand. We need to focus on the candidate not the party. I am personally a registered Independent or 'declined to state' and vote for whatever candidate most closely supports my beliefs/ policies. That fact that the number of Independent voters is increasing should be a clue to both parties, but apparently neither gets it.

Regards,
SkiDevil

nicki
10-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't expect that our candidate is going to win, far from it.

Conventional wisdom is that Jerry Brown will be our next governor and based on what I hear from the "right people", he probably will be an effective governor and we can expect no stupid gun laws or if ones are passed, they will have poison pills in them that will gut them.

That Porn Star who ran for governor got increased visibility and sales of her videos, for her, it was a smart return on investment.

While our candidate would be running on the gun issue, it is obvious we would put up a website and whoever is running of course would touch on other issues also.

The issue for this forum is do we want a pragmatic Conservative or do we want a pragmatic Libertarian.

Do we want a "safe candidate" or do we want someone who will have "shock value".

We don't have to win the primary to make a point and by making a point we grow calguns.

Lastly, I'm not looking to create work for us, rather I want us to have fun with this. Many here on the board are Republicans and are looking at the 3 RINOS and throwing their hands up in disgust.

I bet there are many Republicans who feel the same and would vote for our candidate just so they could say **** you to the 3 RINOS.

I know I would vote for a conservative or libertarian calgunner over the 3 RINOS anytime.

So far we have 10 people who would collect signatures, at 100 signatures each we are 10 percent there. If they were really committed, they could do it themselves, but that would involve probably 40 to 80 hours of time for each person.

Nicki

7x57
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
That Porn Star who ran for governor got increased visibility and sales of her videos, for her, it was a smart return on investment.

Is this going to turn into the political equivalent of the "girls with guns" threads? ;)

7x57

KylaGWolf
10-22-2009, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itkq_lXJ9SI&feature=PlayList&p=4A16E2ADE41AC768&index=7

Nicki

Oh I love it. I think he is a pompous arse in real life but that was too funny. But on a more serious note. I don't like any of our choices for the primary. I know who I would nominate to run from this board which is Gene if he would do it. If not I will just write in McClintock on the primary ballot and then hope that JB gets the democratic one and then when it comes time to vote in November, cross party lines and vote for JB....unless we do convince Gene to run and he gets the nomination .:D

mcsoupman
10-22-2009, 2:50 PM

Nicki

That was funny at the end!!

nicki
10-22-2009, 2:58 PM
I know who I would nominate to run from this board which is Gene if he would do it. If not I will just write in McClintock on the primary ballot and then hope that JB gets the democratic one and then when it comes time to vote in November, cross party lines and vote for JB....unless we do convince Gene to run and he gets the nomination .

I second the nomination, Gene, you are being drafted.

Nicki