PDA

View Full Version : HK Mark 23 or USP Tactical via PPT???

417gunslinger
05-23-2005, 2:49 PM
Gents,

I was told by my FFL guy that I can legally own a Mark 23 or USP Tactical if I bought the pistols used through a Private Party Transactions. Does anyone know if this is true? Both weapons have a threaded barrel and falls under AW if purchased new. Any help would be appreciated. Would it be legal if I had a gunsmith machine the threads off?

Thanks...

Charliegone
05-23-2005, 4:19 PM
First off you can't own an AW because the time has already passed. So you can't, unless you take the threads off, of course you have to do this out of state. Still you should just ask someone more knowledgable about the gun laws i.e. doj.

Turbinator
05-23-2005, 10:04 PM
I can envision a scenario where it would be legal, sans threads.

Time machine, prior to 2000. Owner has MK23. Sees pending ban. Gets threads machined off, or gets a replacement barrel sans threads. Gun is now legal, non-AW but is not on the drop-test list.

Fast forward to today. Owner still has gun. No threads. Gun is not CA drop test approved, but can still be private-party transferred. Voila, legal to buy PPT.

Yes?

Turby

bwiese
05-24-2005, 8:11 AM
417guns wrote:
...was told by my FFL guy that I can legally own a Mark 23 or USP Tactical if I bought the pistols used through a Private Party Transactions. Does anyone know if this is true? Both weapons have a threaded barrel and falls under AW if purchased new. Any help would be appreciated. Would it be legal if I had a gunsmith machine the threads off?

The HK USP Tactical and MK23 are 'by feature' assault weapons in CA. Once the evil feature(s) are removed, the gun can be sold/transferred. Since it would be done via a PPT, there's no requirement for the gun to be on "the List" of safety-tested guns.

However, a regular CA FFL dealer could NOT accept this gun as-is w/threaded barrel unless he holds a relatively rare CA Assault Weapons dealer permit. So the existing owner would have to remove barrel threading before shipping to dealer.

If gun is reg'd as an AW in CA, it probably should be deregsitered w/Cal DOJ first before transferring but after modification. This should inclue a statement that it is no longer - and never will be again, in California at least - configured as an assault weapon. Otherwise its registered AW status might mung up a regular PPT transfer.

Bill Wiese
San Jose