PDA

View Full Version : DROSing more than one pistol?

himurax13
10-19-2009, 5:49 PM
Hello, I was wondering what the restrictions are if I were to buy several used pistols from out of state are and what fees should I be paying? I was looking into purchasing around 3 or 4 LE trade ins.

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 5:55 PM
Are you a LEO or have a C&R+COE? If not, you can only DROS one handgun every thirty days from a dealer.

As for fees, transfer fees seem to run from around $40-100 + $25DROS fee. You'd need to talk to your local FFL to determine his cost, and if he will charge storage fees for the couple months to process all the DROSes.

himurax13
10-19-2009, 5:58 PM
Not a Leo and I have a C&R. However I don't have a COE. What exactly does the COE allow me to do?

five.five-six
10-19-2009, 5:58 PM
PPTs, as many as you like

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 6:02 PM
Not a Leo and I have a C&R. However I don't have a COE. What exactly does the COE allow me to do? If you have the COE (certificate of eligibilty) along with the C&R, you are exempt from the 1 handgun a month law for all hanguns, C&R and Modern. You can DROS them all at the same time and pick them up 10-days later.

YOu can also cash-and-carry any C&R firearm from a dealer. You have to DROS it, but don't have to wait 10-days.

kemasa
10-19-2009, 6:20 PM
PPTs are only when both parties appear at the same FFL. It does not apply for out of state purchases.

I second getting the COE. It costs a bit to get at first, but after that it is cheap. Each additional handgun DROS is $19, so you save $4 per firearm, but the most important thing is that you don't have to wait several months to do all the transfers.

Make sure that the firearms are on the certified list.

SVT-40
10-19-2009, 9:53 PM
Hello, I was wondering what the restrictions are if I were to buy several used pistols from out of state are and what fees should I be paying? I was looking into purchasing around 3 or 4 LE trade ins.

Be sure the handguns are on the California approved list or you will be out of luck.

jamesob
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
If you have the COE (certificate of eligibilty) along with the C&R, you are exempt from the 1 handgun a month law for all hanguns, C&R and Modern. You can DROS them all at the same time and pick them up 10-days later.

YOu can also cash-and-carry any C&R firearm from a dealer. You have to DROS it, but don't have to wait 10-days.

what if you have a c&r and coe and you purchase a c&r pistol from a dealer, you have to wait the 10 days on that, correct?

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 10:38 PM
to repeat,

If you have the COE (certificate of eligibilty) along with the C&R, you are exempt from the 1 handgun a month law for all hanguns, C&R and Modern. You can DROS them all at the same time and pick them up 10-days later.

jamesob
10-19-2009, 10:41 PM
to repeat,

i knew rifles were cash n carry but was unaware pistols in cal. could be cash n carry. thanks i know where theres a type26 i will go pick up.

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 10:44 PM
12078(t)(1) The waiting period described in Sections 12071 or 12072 shall not apply to the sale, delivery, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor, by a dealer to a person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071. On the date that the delivery, sale, or transfer is made, the dealer delivering the firearm shall transmit to the Department of Justice an electronic or telephonic report of the transaction as is indicated in subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 12077.

himurax13
10-19-2009, 10:44 PM
So if you have a COE and an FFL 03, can you cash and carry all the C&R pistols you want?

jamesob
10-19-2009, 10:52 PM
So if you have a COE and an FFL 03, can you cash and carry all the C&R pistols you want?

yes, but it will be expensive