PDA

View Full Version : **Updated** Switching out AR15 barrels?

mountaindweller
10-19-2009, 5:49 PM
I wondered what tools I needed to switch out my existing barrel from the upper receiver to install a new one? Anybody help me out on this one? It is my first time with an AR15 and, somebody not to be named, sold me a bent upper barrel.....I thought it was just the sights that was making it shoot high and right. But on closer inspection the barrel is bent. Anyway could somebody let me know?

I got my panties in a bunch before I assesed the whole situation..

The gas block under the Troy Rail system is not level (lining up straight) causeing the rail to lean slightly to the left when firmly attached to the upper....which in turn is causing the offset sights. I am almost certain this is what the problem is, but am going to AR15 barrels to get it checked. Thanks all for the information....it is much appriciated....most of you guys out there are some pretty rad dudes.

tomd1584
10-19-2009, 5:50 PM
its bent and still shot? how far off was the POI from POA?

mountaindweller
10-19-2009, 5:54 PM
its bent and still shot? how far off was the POI from POA?

Not bent as if I put it in a vice and pulled on it. But slightly off to the right....very evendent when inspected closely lined up with the Troy Rail system. Shot high & right about 6"+ at 25yards. thought it was the sights but did everything i could to readjust....still shot exactly in the same spot. It makes sense to me now that I noticed the barrel.

Do you know how to switch out the barrels?

reidnez
10-19-2009, 5:58 PM
A bent barrel?! If true, that is some pretty lousy Q.C. I guess we need to add "straight barrel" to that AR15 manufacturer comparison matrix that has been floating around. :eek: Would you at least name the manufacturer?

Can you post some pics, maybe with the rails removed and a straight-edge next to the barrel?

five.five-six
10-19-2009, 6:00 PM
Would you at least name the manufacturer?

inquiring minds want to know

mountaindweller
10-19-2009, 6:04 PM
inquiring minds want to know

Ha.....I bought it off a fellow Calgunner.....not straight from the company, would definatly front the company off if that happened. Will get on the pics tonight. Can you attach a barrel cock-eyed to the upper? Maybe this happened....still looks bent.

TMC
10-19-2009, 6:07 PM
You need some way of holding the receiver in a vise and a barrel nut wrench. Remove the handguards, the gas tub roll pin, pull out the gas tube, then, with the barrel nut wrench, removed the barrel nut, and the barrel will slide out. You don't have to remove the front sight unless you need it and the barrel nut for your new barrel.

foxtrotuniformlima
10-19-2009, 6:09 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10339/guntechdetail/Changing_An_AR_15_Barrel

mountaindweller
10-19-2009, 6:11 PM
You need some way of holding the receiver in a vise and a barrel nut wrench. Remove the handguards, the gas tub roll pin, pull out the gas tube, then, with the barrel nut wrench, removed the barrel nut, and the barrel will slide out. You don't have to remove the front sight unless you need it and the barrel nut for your new barrel.

thank you

mountaindweller
10-19-2009, 6:12 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10339/guntechdetail/Changing_An_AR_15_Barrel

thank you

joelukehart
10-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Before you spring for a new barrel pull it off and have a 'smith or machinist spin it in a lathe and check for runout. It could be something else (like a canted sight). Fixing a canted sight would be cheaper than buying a new barrel.

reidnez
10-20-2009, 8:00 AM
Before you spring for a new barrel pull it off and have a 'smith or machinist spin it in a lathe and check for runout. It could be something else (like a canted sight). Fixing a canted sight would be cheaper than buying a new barrel.

That is really, really good advice. Have a smith check it out. And if it does turn out to be the barrel, he can install a new one for you and make sure everything is set up properly.

CHS
10-20-2009, 8:10 AM
Riflegear will do the swap for $35.

The tools will cost you a lot more than that. But you'll need:

- Panther receiver claw
- Taper pin starter punch
- 1/8" punch (taper pins)
- 1/16" punch (gas tube)
- DPMS multi tool

If you're just straight swapping the barrel, you could actually get away with not having the punches for the taper pins. Just leave the sight base on the barrel and remove the gas tube. But that assumes that the new barrel you pick up has a delta ring/barrel nut assembly and front sight already installed.

pacrimguru
10-20-2009, 8:14 AM
note from one pasadenanian to another, if you want to get your barrel checked out, look up randall @ ar15barrels.com. he's located on the westside but absolutely worth the drive. he'll set you right.

ar15barrels
10-20-2009, 10:06 PM
note from one pasadenanian to another, if you want to get your barrel checked out, look up randall @ ar15barrels.com. he's located on the westside but absolutely worth the drive. he'll set you right.

And I'm a lot closer to Pasadena than Riflegear. ;)

mountaindweller
10-20-2009, 10:48 PM
And I'm a lot closer to Pasadena than Riflegear. ;)

Ha! Thanks...PM.

mountaindweller
10-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Thank you.

mountaindweller
10-20-2009, 10:53 PM
That is really, really good advice. Have a smith check it out. And if it does turn out to be the barrel, he can install a new one for you and make sure everything is set up properly.

Thanks.

mountaindweller
10-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Riflegear will do the swap for $35.

The tools will cost you a lot more than that. But you'll need:

- Panther receiver claw
- Taper pin starter punch
- 1/8" punch (taper pins)
- 1/16" punch (gas tube)
- DPMS multi tool

If you're just straight swapping the barrel, you could actually get away with not having the punches for the taper pins. Just leave the sight base on the barrel and remove the gas tube. But that assumes that the new barrel you pick up has a delta ring/barrel nut assembly and front sight already installed.

Thanks.