PDA

View Full Version : HSC test: once you pass, how long does it take to get your certificate?

Mocker
10-19-2009, 4:35 PM
Reading California's website, and the fact that it seems that those who administer the test will have Handgun Safety Certificates on hand, that seems to suggest that once you past the Handgun Safety Test, you can then immediately buy a gun? Is this the case? It seems too efficient. ;)

Thanks.

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 4:36 PM
Its instant. The instructor fills out a card and gives it to you on the spot.

There was a time a while back when there was a "shortage" of blank cards, so some instructors ran out of cards, or where low on them and rationing them for people who were buying a handgun from them, but normally the instructors have them in stock.

rainman8819
10-19-2009, 4:49 PM
Don't forget to ask about any other information the store needs besides the HSC to purchase a handgun. I only have 1 car so my registration and HSC does the trick.

Super Spy
10-19-2009, 4:50 PM
The HSC is kind of a joke...in other words no need to study if you have any common sense and a clue about pistols and gun safety. 5 minutes for the test, 5 more minutes for the guy to grade it and fill out your card, bingo your done. Most places I know won't even bother with letting you take the test unless your DROS'ing a handgun with them.

bwiese
10-19-2009, 4:50 PM
Don't forget to ask about any other information the store needs besides the HSC to purchase a handgun. I only have 1 car so my registration and HSC does the trick.

Besides car reg, a current utility bill (water, power, gas, cable, phone) for service delivered to your address in your name also works.

Maltese Falcon
10-19-2009, 4:51 PM
Its instant. The instructor fills out a card and gives it to you on the spot.

Yep...Took the test, got the card, did the DROS, Pay the $$...Ten days later, bird in hand.;)

rainman8819
10-19-2009, 4:57 PM
Remember the BFSC (Basic Firearms Safety Certificate)? It was sold as a test you only had to take once. Too good to be true in this State.

Alecks
10-19-2009, 5:08 PM
Get it when you pass. Took the test today, only took about 15 mins.

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 5:47 PM
Remember the BFSC (Basic Firearms Safety Certificate)? It was sold as a test you only had to take once. Too good to be true in this State.
They didn't lie about that. Once you passed your BFSC, it never expired.

They just don't accept the BFSC for handgun purchases anymore:rolleyes:

CSDGuy
10-19-2009, 7:00 PM

They didn't lie about that. Once you passed your BFSC, it never expired.

They just don't accept the BFSC for handgun purchases anymore:rolleyes:
Yep. The BFSC is still unexpired... however, it's no longer valid for what it was used for.

devildog999
10-19-2009, 7:12 PM
Tis instant. you take the easy arse multiple choice test and if you pass, they give you a little card like paper. Boom done

seanbo
10-20-2009, 12:15 AM
So whats the deal? If it's soo easy why test at all? Man I bet some damm politician owns the company who makes the practice booklet and that's the real deal. Just an other tax on the 2nd amendment!

Dekker
10-20-2009, 1:48 AM
So whats the deal? If it's soo easy why test at all?

Unfortunately, there are people who still fail it. Even though they can just take it again, it at the very least roadblocks and slows them down. You'd be surprised how many people have squeaky clean records and can DROS a handgun without any problems, yet miserably fail the Certificate test. If they can't pass a common sense exam yet want to own a handgun......not the type of person you want as a neighbor unless you're prepared for that bullet to go through your wall followed by a "Oooops".

swerv512
10-20-2009, 5:29 AM
while i do know someone who just managaed to passed (i'm not proud it, BTW) the card was made and laminated in about 5 minutes- just enough time to oogle a few tasties behind the glass...