PDA

View Full Version : Google Voice

JDay
10-19-2009, 4:08 PM
Google Voice appears to be sending out instant invites when you ask for one.

Corbin Dallas
10-19-2009, 9:33 PM
They are taking information but the invites are very sparce at this time. I'm hoping to get my GV here shortly so I can use it on GVMobile with my iphone.

JDay
10-20-2009, 12:53 AM
They are taking information but the invites are very sparce at this time. I'm hoping to get my GV here shortly so I can use it on GVMobile with my iphone.

I signed up for two today, got both invites in under a minute.

ilbob
10-20-2009, 6:20 AM
I signed up a week or so ago and got an invite the other day. have not gotten around to doing anything with it yet.

jedinerd
10-20-2009, 7:39 AM
I didn't even have to ask... i just got invited at launch :-\

Mute
10-20-2009, 8:12 AM
I got mine about a week after I sent in my request.

ilbob
10-20-2009, 8:29 AM
I set my account up. pretty straightforward. I set it to forward to my cell phone.

Then I called myself. It works.

Now I don't know quite what to do with it. Sort of like my twitter account that I have no idea what to do with.

maschronic
10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
it took my invite about 1.5 weeks. i havn't used it yet, but i have a phone number. haha

Saigon1965
10-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Got an invite without even asking - What's it about?

shookatash
10-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Got an invite without even asking - What's it about?

basically allows you to have a permanent number for you that can ring your cell, work, home, etc. it is cool if you change your cell phone number or switch jobs often so that you never have to update your contacts again with your new number - just give them your google voice number which will always remain.

it also transcribes your voicemails and they show up like emails in your account. I think it also has an SMS feature which I haven't used yet in that you can have people SMS that number as well. Another cool feature is the distribution lists. You can set it up such that if your friends call, it will ring to whatever phone you want. If your coworkers call it, it will ring only your work numbers, etc etc.

Saigon1965
10-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Ah - Thanks for the info - I really don't see a need for it for me then -

indetrucks
10-20-2009, 12:14 PM
I've been using it for over a year now and love it.

Have one number for the rest of your life. I have it forwarding to my cell, desk and home numbers. I'm able to screen my calls, listen in on voicemails being left by callers with the ability to break in on the call at any time.
Also have the ability to play the "this phone has been disconnected" message to anyone who calls me.
People can text you through google voice as well as you replying.

I love it and don't know what I would do without it.

It stores and saves all messages (text or voice) with the ability to download to .wav file. It really is awesome, especially for giving girls your number when you were wearing your beer goggles and you can screen em when they call.

JDay
10-20-2009, 11:10 PM
You can also use it to make free long distance calls, you just enter the number you want it to call, what phone you want to make the call from, your phone will ring and when you answer it dials out.

ilbob
10-21-2009, 6:39 AM
You can also use it to make free long distance calls, you just enter the number you want it to call, what phone you want to make the call from, your phone will ring and when you answer it dials out.

There is still one thing that bugs me about this. Somehow, someway, Google has to make money on this. I have to wodner when the free service is going to change into a subscription service.

JDay
10-21-2009, 1:25 PM
There is still one thing that bugs me about this. Somehow, someway, Google has to make money on this. I have to wodner when the free service is going to change into a subscription service.

They charge for international calls. Its also $20 to change your Google Voice number.

ilbob
10-23-2009, 7:12 AM
I called myself and read a paragraph out of a manual that was sitting on my desk. The transciption was not perfect, but pretty close.

I did turn off the feature where it texts you the transcript. The 30 second message took 3 text messages.

sfwdiy
10-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I called myself and read a paragraph out of a manual that was sitting on my desk. The transciption was not perfect, but pretty close.

I did turn off the feature where it texts you the transcript. The 30 second message took 3 text messages.

I have emails of the transcripts sent to my gmail account, which I receive on my iPhone. This makes voicemails searchable. :thumbsup:

GVMobile on my iPhone stopped working. I can't log in. It kinda sucked anyway because it's not tied directly into Google's system like their app for Android, and there's no other option because Google's app for the iPhone wasn't approved. Apple really pissed me off with that maneuver. I'm seriously considering switching to an Android phone when my contract is up.

--B

JDay
10-25-2009, 2:34 AM
I have emails of the transcripts sent to my gmail account, which I receive on my iPhone. This makes voicemails searchable. :thumbsup:

GVMobile on my iPhone stopped working. I can't log in. It kinda sucked anyway because it's not tied directly into Google's system like their app for Android, and there's no other option because Google's app for the iPhone wasn't approved. Apple really pissed me off with that maneuver. I'm seriously considering switching to an Android phone when my contract is up.

--B

I don't know why anyone buys the iPhone, you're locked into using Apple "approved" apps on it unless you jail break it (voiding the warranty). You might want to checkout the T-Mobile Pulse, its a really nice Android phone. T-Mobile will also unlock your phones for you so you can switch carriers, they just charge a small fee if you have no contract or do it in the first 3 months of a contract.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/t-mobile-pulse-hands-on-with-video-android-meets-3-5-inch-lcd/

ETA: This phone is also known as the Huawei U8230

Corbin Dallas
10-25-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't know why anyone buys the iPhone, you're locked into using Apple "approved" apps on it unless you jail break it (voiding the warranty). You might want to checkout the T-Mobile Pulse, its a really nice Android phone. T-Mobile will also unlock your phones for you so you can switch carriers, they just charge a small fee if you have no contract or do it in the first 3 months of a contract.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/t-mobile-pulse-hands-on-with-video-android-meets-3-5-inch-lcd/

ETA: This phone is also known as the Huawei U8230

What warranty on the iPhone? You mean that crappy 1 year warranty that gets you nothing? WORTHLESS...

And Jailbreaking your phone does not void the warranty, just make sure you can restore it before sending it back to Apple.

BTW, jailbreaking is the ONLY way to have an Iphone. There is so much more you can do with the phone when you are not locked into ATT.

World traveler? No problem!!! Grab a pay-n-go phone and yank the SIM card out, pop it in your iphone, bamm!! You have service!!!

Need a internet connection when there is none? No problem!! Tethering is a snap via USB cable or Bluetooth!!!

Want to block that annoying pocket caller, ex-whatever, or SMS text message? Download and install iBlacklist!! Poof!! They are no-more.

Need to access your HP EX485 home server? NO problem!!!

And the list goes on and on and on....

Corbin Dallas
10-25-2009, 10:03 AM

--B

I have GV on my iPhone and it works great.

Look into jailbreaking your iPhone so you can use it like it was intended.

JDay
10-25-2009, 1:47 PM
What warranty on the iPhone? You mean that crappy 1 year warranty that gets you nothing? WORTHLESS...

And Jailbreaking your phone does not void the warranty, just make sure you can restore it before sending it back to Apple.

And you only have to do that because it voids the warranty.

BTW, jailbreaking is the ONLY way to have an Iphone. There is so much more you can do with the phone when you are not locked into ATT.

Need a internet connection when there is none? No problem!! Tethering is a snap via USB cable or Bluetooth!!!

And yet many other phones do this out of the box.

Want to block that annoying pocket caller, ex-whatever, or SMS text message? Download and install iBlacklist!! Poof!! They are no-more.

You can do this with Google Voice even without the app.

Need to access your HP EX485 home server? NO problem!!!

And the list goes on and on and on....

Again, nothing that hasn't been possible on other platforms since before the iPhone.

JDay
10-25-2009, 1:49 PM
I have GV on my iPhone and it works great.

Look into jailbreaking your iPhone so you can use it like it was intended.

And then if you have a hardware failure that prevents you from flashing back to stock firmware your warranty/insurance will not be honored.

FreedomIsNotFree
10-26-2009, 10:30 PM
The Motorola Droid will be released in less than 2 weeks. It runs the new Android 2.0 which is wicked fast considering it has two processors. Open source OS on the nations best network...sold.

Loner
10-30-2009, 6:25 PM
Tempting, but I'll wait for the GSM version. People have now found a way to upload Android 2.0 onto a G1.

JDay
10-31-2009, 8:59 AM
Tempting, but I'll wait for the GSM version. People have now found a way to upload Android 2.0 onto a G1.

The Droid is GSM.

Loner
10-31-2009, 12:26 PM
The Droid is GSM.
All info I've seen shows the U.S. version is CDMA.

JDay
10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
All info I've seen shows the U.S. version is CDMA.

The Verizon version is CDMA only, the one AT&T is getting is CDMA and quad-band GSM.

sfwdiy
10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
The Droid is GSM.

The Droid, aka Motorola Sholes, is being released in the US on Verizon, CDMA version. It's running Android 2.0, has a multi-touch interface as well as a slide-out keyboard. It's also got a 5 MP camera with a flash and GPS. It's running the same processor as the iPhone 3GS, and it's fast. I really want one, but I'm stuck with AT&T 'til next year.

I don't travel outside the US much and I have an unlocked Sony Ericsson GSM phone so that's not an issue for me. I'd much rather have the superior 3G coverage from Verizon than deal with AT&T's 'Less Bars In More Places.'

The Droid:
http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Motorola-Sholes-CPU-Specs-Surface-Might-Come-with-Eclair-2.jpg

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/Raccoon_Really_Really_Want.jpg

--B

FreedomIsNotFree
10-31-2009, 2:18 PM
The Verizon version is CDMA only, the one AT&T is getting is CDMA and quad-band GSM.

Not quite. AT&T does not sell quad band phones that are both GSM and CDMA. They sell quad band phones that are typically only GSM, 2 bands for the US and 2 bands for the EU. The GSM version of the Droid is reported to have WCDMA, a wide band version of CDMA used for data, but it will NOT be compatible with the VZW CDMA network for voice or data.

These facts lead most in the industry to the conclusion that the DROID will not be available on AT&T's network in the US. It will most likely go to South America.

FreedomIsNotFree
10-31-2009, 2:21 PM

Yes, but its as slow as molasses. They may be able to improve on it in the future, but 2.0 simply won't be anywhere near a similar experience on the G1 as on the DROID. Considering each of the processors in the Droid are faster than the single processor in the G1, its easy to see why.

wolf13
10-31-2009, 3:15 PM
Anybody have an invite left that they would like to share with me? I signed up awhile ago, few months, and still have yet to receive an invite.

WokMaster1
10-31-2009, 3:22 PM
Anybody have an invite left that they would like to share with me? I signed up awhile ago, few months, and still have yet to receive an invite.

Just resend it. Helps when you have a Gmail address.

wolf13
10-31-2009, 3:51 PM
Just resend it. Helps when you have a Gmail address.

I have, and do have a gmail. I was somehow able to get gmail when it was invite only, but can't seem to get this damn voice. I will keep trying every couple weeks.

FreedomIsNotFree
10-31-2009, 3:58 PM
I have, and do have a gmail. I was somehow able to get gmail when it was invite only, but can't seem to get this damn voice. I will keep trying every couple weeks.

It took me just over a week to get my invite via gmail. Only thing is, they don't have any 408 numbers left...haha.

wolf13
10-31-2009, 4:10 PM
^
Did you send out the invites that you have? You get I think 3 with every account you receive, though they may take awhile to show up.

So did you just use a different area code? How could they run out of numbers in your area code?

FreedomIsNotFree
10-31-2009, 5:24 PM
^
Did you send out the invites that you have? You get I think 3 with every account you receive, though they may take awhile to show up.

So did you just use a different area code? How could they run out of numbers in your area code?

I could have chosen a different area code, but I will wait for a "408". Not sure about sending out invites that I have...details?

Loner
10-31-2009, 5:35 PM
Motorola has not announced any version of the Droid for AT&T.

Yes, but its as slow as molasses. They may be able to improve on it in the future, but 2.0 simply won't be anywhere near a similar experience on the G1 as on the DROID. Considering each of the processors in the Droid are faster than the single processor in the G1, its easy to see why.
There is word that Europe will be getting a version of the Droid, though I'm not sure if it'll be a global version so it can work on GSM networks here in the States. So I'm hoping 2.0 can be ported to the G1 so I can get that new Google Maps GPS app and wait until the GSM Droid is formally announced.

wolf13
10-31-2009, 5:38 PM
I could have chosen a different area code, but I will wait for a "408". Not sure about sending out invites that I have...details?

On the left toolbar, at the bottom, there should be something about inviting a friend. They did this when gmail was new, and allowed you to invite friends. It may not come right away, especially if you don't activate it.

LINK (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/invite-friend-to-google-voice.html)

FreedomIsNotFree
10-31-2009, 6:30 PM
Motorola has not announced any version of the Droid for AT&T.

There is word that Europe will be getting a version of the Droid, though I'm not sure if it'll be a global version so it can work on GSM networks here in the States. So I'm hoping 2.0 can be ported to the G1 so I can get that new Google Maps GPS app and wait until the GSM Droid is formally announced.

If you want the new Google Maps app, why not just get the Droid now on the proven device on the proven network?

VZW is reported to be the exclusive distributor of the Droid. There is a GSM version that is likely for South America and/or Canada so if you can get it unlocked it "could" work on AT&T's network, but AT&T won't be selling it.

FreedomIsNotFree
10-31-2009, 6:48 PM
On the left toolbar, at the bottom, there should be something about inviting a friend. They did this when gmail was new, and allowed you to invite friends. It may not come right away, especially if you don't activate it.

LINK (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/invite-friend-to-google-voice.html)

Just checked again...you are right about the ability to invite without activating. I just checked again and can't do anything until I register a number.