PDA

View Full Version : Moderately Priced Spotting Scope Suggestions (for 5.56 @200y)

Charles4400
10-19-2009, 2:55 PM
I wanted to know your suggestions on spotting scopes since I have no hands on experience with them...

Looking for something that is relatively inexpensive ($150 at the high end) and will last...

Was looking at the Barska scope 18-90x88 for $125...is Barska a reliable brand?

I got in an NCstar 20-60x60 but recieved the thing with a piece rattling in inside the scope and the eyepiece with some crazy blemishes on the lense...don't want to gothat route again and am returning it!

Any recommendations would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Black Majik
10-19-2009, 3:01 PM
Before everyone starts coming in here stating how happy they are with their walmart specials, I'll just say... Don't skimp on glass. :)

ocabj
10-19-2009, 3:02 PM
I'd recommend the Konuspot 80 and a decent scope stand. Unfortunately, it's above your $150 price point.

You're not going to have much luck with sub-$200 spotting scopes and .22cal holes at 200 yards, even in ideal conditions.

Even with a Kowa 821M and a 27x LER eyepiece, I find spotting 22cal on paper at 200 yards can be difficult depending on how the light hits the target (sun behind, above, or in front), lighting conditions in general (overcast vs full sun), and mirage.

If you don't want to spend on quality spotting scope, I'd almost recommend just buying Shoot N C targets or designing a target stand + backer system that aids in seeing holes on target. If you're going to shoot a lot at regulation short range, then a good spotting scope is worth the $700+ cost. If you're only an occasional 200+ yard shooter, then Shoot N C targets will get you by.

I actually saw a system used by a range where they hold 200 yard reduced course High Power events without pullers and place white poster boards behind the target at a 45 degree angle with the faces towards the rear of the target. That bounces light from the sun to the back of the target, amplifying the light from the rear of the paper thus enhancing the ability to see holes on paper. I was going adapt something like this for my portable stand in order to make 200 yard practice a bit easier.

meltyman
10-19-2009, 3:05 PM
Dude i love my barksa! ;)

tlillard23
10-19-2009, 3:05 PM
KONUS rules!! (for the price.)

I shoot 223 at 200 yards, can see most of the shots (just like the guys with the $1000 scopes..)

the only draw back is that the eyerelief is not long(?) have to get your eye really close to the eyepiece, sometimes my shooting glasses get in the way (the $1000 scope guys don't have this problem..haha)

five.five-six
10-19-2009, 3:08 PM
a .22 hole is hard to see at 200m, BTW, don't skimp on the tripod either ... unless you were a big fan of Cloverfield (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=226584)

Hunt
10-19-2009, 3:21 PM
I'd recommend the Konuspot 80 and a decent scope stand. Unfortunately, it's above your $150 price point.

You're not going to have much luck with sub-$200 spotting scopes and .22cal holes at 200 yards, even in ideal conditions.

Even with a Kowa 821M and a 27x LER eyepiece, I find spotting 22cal on paper at 200 yards can be difficult depending on how the light hits the target (sun behind, above, or in front), lighting conditions in general (overcast vs full sun), and mirage.

If you don't want to spend on quality spotting scope, I'd almost recommend just buying Shoot N C targets or designing a target stand + backer system that aids in seeing holes on target. If you're going to shoot a lot at regulation short range, then a good spotting scope is worth the $700+ cost. If you're only an occasional 200+ yard shooter, then Shoot N C targets will get you by.

I actually saw a system used by a range where they hold 200 yard reduced course High Power events without pullers and place white poster boards behind the target at a 45 degree angle with the fahandle range ces towards the rear of the target. That bounces light from the sun to the back of the target, amplifying the light from the rear of the paper thus enhancing the ability to see holes on paper. I was going adapt something like this for my portable stand in order to make 200 yard practice a bit easier.

I bought a Russian 20x30 zoom scope on ebay for $20.00 that could easily handle range work out to 300 yrds. got a fixed 20x Burris landmark for $10.00
that would probably do the 200 yards. There are Bausch and Lomb Discoverer
older models that were top of the line in their day you can get them for $10.00 to $40.00 on ebay. If the only thing I was using it for was 200 to 300 yard range I would buy 3-4 off ebay and keep the good one. I do this practice with generation old camera lenses and I get A+ lenses for 1/10 th the cost because it isn't the new and improved version.

FEMUN
10-19-2009, 3:28 PM
Get a Barska 20-60x60 for $99.99 @ Big5. All my buddies have one and they love em.

Hunt
10-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Get a Barska 20-60x60 for $99.99 @ Big5. All my buddies have one and they love em.

I agree unless you are shooting out past 300 yrds and hunting open range at dawn and dusk no need to spend the big bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/TYPNCT-6-20-30-X-50-SPOTTING-SCOPE-RUSSIAN-MADE-TRIPOD_W0QQitemZ200393878878QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea867ed5e

I have one just like this I have compared it to the $150.00 scopes at Big5 the russian is equal or better. The first day I took mine out I spotted a 4 point
buck at about 500 yards. Forget these cheap optics in low light

sirgiles
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
+1 on a konus.

wildcard
10-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Stay away from Barksa, NcStar, or any glass from Big5.

Get the Konuspot 80.

ponderosa
10-20-2009, 8:58 AM
I bought one of these (for birding) http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=84&ProdID=197 and find it be pretty good for a lot of other things.

THT
10-20-2009, 9:00 AM
I use a 30-90x Konus and I've noticed the following:

*Way too powerful for anything less than 200yds
*Tripod it comes with sucks; plan on replacing it with something more robust
*Focus is very tight/touchy

For what I paid, I don't mind though.

csorin
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Gotta give another +1 to the Konuspot 80. I use the "cheap" Creedmoor tripod stand with it. For about 375 bucks, you're set for most competition shooting.

johnrunner89
10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/waterproof-spotting-scope-by-barska.aspx?a=444092

If your like me and do not have tons of $ to spend on a spotting scope. This is a great deal especially if your a member.

caldude
10-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I have both a Barska and a Konus. The Konus, except for the tripod, is much better. The Barska is okay, but only goes out if a guest needs a scope. My buddy bought a cheaper Barska at Big 5 (the $69 one), and it's really fuzzy at the higher magnifications.

One bonus for the Konus is that is has a camera adapter so you can take photos through the scope if you have an SLR camera.

Vtec44
10-20-2009, 8:11 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/waterproof-spotting-scope-by-barska.aspx?a=444092

If your like me and do not have tons of $ to spend on a spotting scope. This is a great deal especially if your a member.

How is it at max zoom?

popeye4
10-20-2009, 9:15 PM
You could go here and get a Konus with a $100 back guarantee if you decide to stop using it....

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Justintoxicated
10-20-2009, 9:24 PM
Konus Konospot, I took back my barska because it had a purple tinge on everything at over 1/2 magnification. I took back my walmart special too. My only complaint with the konus is the eye relief is narrow, and the build quality does not seem to be great. They must have put all the money into the glass. It does the job for me.

ocabj
10-21-2009, 8:36 AM
Yes, the Konuspot 80 definitely feels like a fragile scope. If you dropped it, it would most likely break. I know a few people who broke the rotating collar on their Konuspot 80s.

I've accidentally dropped my Kowa 821 on concrete (resting on my cart, fell off when moving cart) a few times with no ill effect. Granted, I don't go around trying to drop my scope on concrete. But it's nice to know a Kowa can withstand a few bumps.

doughboy334
10-21-2009, 11:22 AM
You could go here and get a Konus with a $100 back guarantee if you decide to stop using it....

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Excellent link, I think I'll decide to go this route.

Trapper
10-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd go for the Burris 15-45x60 on sale at Midway for $145
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=234707

rumble phish
10-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Konus is good.

BUT...

I picked up s Simmons 20-60x60mm spotter at Wal-Mart for $69. Came with a nice FULL SIZE tripod, lens covers and a soft carry case.

As far as quality goes, it's as clear and bright as my buddies Nikon spotter which cost him over $200 more.

You should check it out.

It's what I'd call a "raw dick deal".... 'cause you just can't beat it! :laugh:

johnrunner89
10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
How is it at max zoom?

Its works great in max zoom, i just use the focus knob a little bit. You could spend $50 on this and save hundreds to use on ammo :D

gemini1
10-21-2009, 1:13 PM
Check out Big 5. Last week they were running a sale on a Barska spotting scope for like $99.

Vtec44
10-21-2009, 1:15 PM
Its works great in max zoom, i just use the focus knob a little bit. You could spend $50 on this and save hundreds to use on ammo :D

Cool, thanks. I'm going to order this since I don't shoot beyond 200 yards anyway. If it doesn't work, I'm going to punch you in the face!

j/k of course! :D

NRAhighpowershooter
10-21-2009, 1:23 PM
Yes, the Konuspot 80 definitely feels like a fragile scope. If you dropped it, it would most likely break. I know a few people who broke the rotating collar on their Konuspot 80s.

I've accidentally dropped my Kowa 821 on concrete (resting on my cart, fell off when moving cart) a few times with no ill effect. Granted, I don't go around trying to drop my scope on concrete. But it's nice to know a Kowa can withstand a few bumps.

The CA Grizzly's Jr team found out last year or the year before.. (cant remember right now) but their Konus scopes got wet at Perry and they fell apart.. cheap chinese glue I guess.. Tim Acebo (their head coach) got them all replaced....they seemd to stay together after that.....

johnrunner89
10-21-2009, 1:55 PM
Cool, thanks. I'm going to order this since I don't shoot beyond 200 yards anyway. If it doesn't work, I'm going to punch you in the face!

j/k of course! :D

LOL No need cause Sportsman's Guide has an excellent return policy.

Return Policy

My Friend, Your Satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed! Period.
We have the strongest guarantee in the business.

“You can order from the Sportsman’s Guide with complete confidence because we stand behind every item we sell. If you’re not happy for any reason at any time, just return the merchandise with your invoice, and we’ll promptly refund your merchandise returned total, or make an exchange, whichever YOU prefer. Top quality gear at the lowest prices in town!”

I copied that from their website.