PDA

View Full Version : Gun Smith Services Prices

Phil3
10-19-2009, 1:54 PM
I am trying to decide between Savage and Remington on a next rifle build, and know that I may switch barrels on occasion. One can do this themselves with the Savage, but not with the Remington. Anyone know how much it costs for a gunsmith to swap barrels on a Remington 700 action?

- Phil

johnrunner89
10-19-2009, 1:58 PM
Call your local gunsmiths. There is really not a set price for this, all prices and turn around times will be different.

jchen76@gmail.com
10-19-2009, 2:03 PM
Frank - http://www.taborshooters.com/ in San Bruno does this type of work. Give him a call. He does great custom builds.

Phil3
10-19-2009, 2:16 PM
I called Tabor's. Rather abrupt. The asked me questions I really didn't have answers to, but not removing barrel (bare action and barrel), about $75.

jchen76@gmail.com
10-19-2009, 2:24 PM
Yeah, Frank would rather see the rifle before commenting. If he ask details it's so he can gauge the amount work needed. Good luck on your search!

ocabj
10-19-2009, 2:48 PM
I called Tabor's. Rather abrupt. The asked me questions I really didn't have answers to, but not removing barrel (bare action and barrel), about $75.

$75 to install a barrel assuming he doesn't have to take the old one off? That's pretty good actually. I'm assuming this includes chamber reaming?

I paid $625 for a Remington rebarrel. This included:

1. Removing the OEM barrel
2. 27" Hart SS barrel blank with 1:8" twist and 6mm bore
3. Squaring action and bolt face
4. Chambering barrel for 6mmBR, installation, and finish reaming for correct headspace (plus crown and turning muzzle for front sight).
5. Sako extractor modification

I think the extractor mod (parts+labor) was an additional $75. So $550 for the barrel, action cleanup, and install.

Oh, the work was done by Doan Trevor, formerly of Orange now in New Mexico. http://doantrevor.com/

Addendum: I just remember I also had a bushing installed for the firing pin hole in the bolt. I don't recall how much of that $625 went to that.

phish
10-19-2009, 4:14 PM
Addendum: I just remember I also had a bushing installed for the firing pin hole in the bolt. I don't recall how much of that $625 went to that.

probably $65 give or take, that's how much Greg Tannel charges for this modification

rksimple
10-19-2009, 4:28 PM
After the action is trued, chambering, threading and installing a barrel normally runs anywhere from 150-250 bucks.