PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good wireless router...

GMONEY
10-19-2009, 9:00 AM
For home/business use...

paul0660
10-19-2009, 9:16 AM
Just got this one, it works. I am known for my parsimony, however:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122269

cqbdude
10-19-2009, 9:48 AM
get the apple wireless router..

JDay
10-19-2009, 3:37 PM
Go with Linksys, they make the best home grade routers. The Netgears don't tend to have the same range.

ETA: You cant go wrong with the WRT54GL, you can flash it with any 3rd party firmware to add much more functionality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

bigmike82
10-19-2009, 5:05 PM
Do you want a wireless router that you will have to reset every few days?
Get a Linksys.

If you want a wireless router that you can truly setup and forget about...get a Cisco 1242. Check their prices on ebay, you should find some for sub-200.

CSDGuy
10-19-2009, 5:37 PM
I use a linksys router that was flashed with 3rd party software. It didn't take me long to get it setup the way I wanted it. It's pretty much in a set & forget mode now. I've had it for about 3-4 years now and it averages about a reset per year... mostly because I flashed the software. I've had the previous version of SW go 2 years without a reset... yeah, mine's been REALLY stable for me.

JDay
10-19-2009, 7:21 PM
linksys wrt54g

The WRT54G is a gimped out version of the WRT54GL, the GL was made so you could still load 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt, open-wrt, tomato) without having to hack it and use a cut down version.

JDay
10-19-2009, 7:22 PM
Do you want a wireless router that you will have to reset every few days?
Get a Linksys.

If you want a wireless router that you can truly setup and forget about...get a Cisco 1242. Check their prices on ebay, you should find some for sub-200.

Put dd-wrt or any of the other wrt based 3rd party firmwares on it and you wont have that issue. Btw, Linksys is Cisco's consumer division.

CSDGuy
10-19-2009, 8:09 PM
The WRT54G is a gimped out version of the WRT54GL, the GL was made so you could still load 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt, open-wrt, tomato) without having to hack it and use a cut down version.
The GL version was made directly in response to the fact that people were taking 3rd party SW and flashing their routers... The GL version was loaded with Linux... to begin with... so it became easier to add/change/remove features later.

It's just a G router with different software...

freakshow10mm
10-19-2009, 8:16 PM
Just lease the router from your ISP. I pay $2/mo for a Netgear and it works fine. If anything happens, they replace it.

bigmike82
10-19-2009, 8:33 PM
"Btw, Linksys is Cisco's consumer division. "

Yes, I know. Cisco purchased Linksys in order to have access to the consumer and SMB market. Nevertheless, the difference in hardware between Linksys and Cisco is like night and day. I've never regretted purchasing any of my Cisco gear, even stuff bought second-hand. Linksys has been a constant pain in the ***.

Granted, a newer WRT54 a client purchased has been working fairly well now, but given the choice, I'd get the 1242 any day.

Brianguy
10-19-2009, 9:12 PM
Just don't get a Belkin. Can't go wrong with Linksys or Netgear. D-Link can be alright depending on the model.

pingpong
10-19-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm using the Netgear RangeMax MIMO. I've never had coverage so good before. Well worth the ~$50 price of admission.

JDay
10-19-2009, 11:52 PM
The GL version was made directly in response to the fact that people were taking 3rd party SW and flashing their routers... The GL version was loaded with Linux... to begin with... so it became easier to add/change/remove features later.

It's just a G router with different software...

Nope, the GL was made because Linksys stopped shipping the WRT54G/GS with linux and switch to VXWorks. Sales started to drop and people were screaming for one that could be flashed without hacking. It was in response to this that Linksys released the WRT54GL (which was just a renamed WRT54G).

JDay
10-19-2009, 11:53 PM
"Btw, Linksys is Cisco's consumer division. "

Yes, I know. Cisco purchased Linksys in order to have access to the consumer and SMB market. Nevertheless, the difference in hardware between Linksys and Cisco is like night and day. I've never regretted purchasing any of my Cisco gear, even stuff bought second-hand. Linksys has been a constant pain in the ***.

Granted, a newer WRT54 a client purchased has been working fairly well now, but given the choice, I'd get the 1242 any day.

There's also a price difference of a several hundred dollars.

bigmike82
10-20-2009, 3:11 AM
You're correct.

I didn't mean the 1242, I meant the 1231.

The 1242 is rock solid too, but it is a bit more. The 1231, however, is quite cheap on ebay for what you get.

jammer2k
10-20-2009, 7:42 AM
Been using the WRT54G series for a while, flashed with DD-WRT. Almost never had to reboot it, most of the issues were ISP related anyways.

Currently I am using a Linksys WRT310N with DD-WRT and it has been solid as a rock.

If you haven't guessed I really like DD-WRT

whobob
10-21-2009, 1:46 AM
DD-WRT works great. Get any router compatible with it.

chiefcrash
10-21-2009, 7:39 AM
Linksys WRT54GL + DD-WRT = WIN

bigmike82
10-21-2009, 10:48 AM
If you do choose to go with a Linksys WAP, definitely install dd-wrt on it. It is nothing short of amazing.

shookatash
10-21-2009, 11:06 AM
i have an old school WRT54G and it just rocks! I replaced it with a WRT100 N router which kept crashing when two macbooks tried to connect at the same time when next to each other :confused:

Swapped back to the WRT54g and it's been rock solid since.

trg-s338
10-27-2009, 9:01 PM
Apple Airport wireless router, ultra reliable!

Technical Ted
10-27-2009, 9:31 PM
Apple Airport wireless router, ultra reliable!
+1 for the Airport Extreme. Mine's been running pretty much nonstop for over a year (except for a couple of power outages and one firmware upgrade).

I live in a three story townhouse. The Airport Extreme is in my bedroom office area on the top floor connected to the cable modem. I can maintain my connection moving anywhere inside the house--including the bottom floor garage/shop, out on the deck and on the front porch. Here in my ground floor office I get respectable speeds over 802.11N.

I've never tested it to it's declared 50 connections, but I have had as many as 5 computers logged in without a hickup.

And yes, it works with Windows machines.

Someoneelseok
10-30-2009, 3:21 PM
get a Linksys WRT-54GL and hack it with 3rd party firmware - you will almost never need to touch your Router ever again.
mainstream people use dd-wrt.

I perfer Tomato Firmware (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) , cleaner, quicker interface, and has QoS that actually works well, very well. Almost everyone that has switched to Tomato has never switched back.

ptdog
10-31-2009, 7:21 AM
Go with the Cisco 871 wireless router. It is a good business/home router. You can do lots with it. They are not cheap, but works well.

Gregchico
11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Linksys WRT54GL + DD-WRT = WIN

Around here Staples/Office Depot have the Linksys WRY54GL for $60-$70. Fleebay has them pre-flashed with DD-WRT for $55 delivered. Just search DD-WRT.

locosway
11-01-2009, 9:36 PM
WRT54G with dd-wrt firmware

dohey
11-03-2009, 9:52 PM
ETA: You cant go wrong with the WRT54GL, you can flash it with any 3rd party firmware to add much more functionality.

What he said... long as G is fast enough for your needs. I stream Netflix just fine over mine.

locosway
11-03-2009, 9:57 PM
What he said... long as G is fast enough for your needs. I stream Netflix just fine over mine.

Few people have fast enough internet that a G connection can't handle their streams.

socalgunrunner
11-04-2009, 6:38 AM
Just don't get a Belkin. Can't go wrong with Linksys or Netgear. D-Link can be alright depending on the model.

I've got a Belkin F5D8235-4 Wireless N+ Router like this one: http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=762840&cm_mmc=PositionTech-_-Shopping-_-ProductFeed-_-listing. I only paid $80 for it at Target.

It's worked perfectly since day one. I wish that I could say them same for those Linksys routers that I've owned in the past. I'll never buy anything made by those guys again.

chiefcrash
11-04-2009, 7:15 AM
Few people have fast enough internet that a G connection can't handle their streams.

exactly:

Wireless G: 54Mbps
Fast Ethernet: 100Mbps
Gigabit Ethernet: 1000Mbps

Comcast Internet: 15Mbps typical

guess where the choke point is...

haveyourmile
02-07-2010, 2:25 PM
Bump. So after reading this thread, can I assume that I don't need to upgrade to an "N" router if I currently have a "G" with DD-WRT installed? A guy that just moved in wants to install his "N" router because he thinks it will significantly improve speeds. I have Comcast and live in Sacramento if that makes a difference. Thanks guys

locosway
02-07-2010, 6:29 PM
It will improve speeds if he's doing transfers between two N nodes. However, if he thinks it's going to improve his internet browsing then he's smoking crack.

Satex
02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
If you do choose to go with a Linksys WAP, definitely install dd-wrt on it. It is nothing short of amazing.

What's so amazing about it compared to a normal router?

locosway
02-08-2010, 4:05 AM
What's so amazing about it compared to a normal router?

For the average person, nothing. However if you have kids or anything like that you can gain a lot more control over your network. One things I did was use DD-WRT and OpenDNS to keep my kids a little safer online. DD-WRT allows you to create ipchains based rules in the firewall section of the router so that the DNS can not be bypassed.

shooterfpga
02-08-2010, 4:13 AM
agreed. that's the one thing I like about my routers. being able to install a linux or bsd based firewall on it along with opendns to help filter out phishing and spyware sites.

Satex
02-08-2010, 7:39 AM
For the average person, nothing. However if you have kids or anything like that you can gain a lot more control over your network. One things I did was use DD-WRT and OpenDNS to keep my kids a little safer online. DD-WRT allows you to create ipchains based rules in the firewall section of the router so that the DNS can not be bypassed.

How does DD-WRT compare to other Linux based firmware distributions? Isn't there a Tomato distribution that's pretty popular?

locosway
02-08-2010, 12:39 PM
How does DD-WRT compare to other Linux based firmware distributions? Isn't there a Tomato distribution that's pretty popular?

I haven't used any other ones on my linksys. Go with what works, maybe try them both.