PDA

View Full Version : bulk receiver purchase question

JaMail
10-19-2009, 9:51 AM
I want to buy some receivers in bulk, between 10 and 15 just for the hell of it. what is the impact of a non FFL buying that many on a DROS at one time?

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I have heard of people that have bought 10+ receivers at once getting contacted by ATF to make sure that they weren't dealing without a license. IIRC, it was on ARFCOM.

tenpercentfirearms
10-19-2009, 5:20 PM
I have sold over 10 long guns in a transaction. I never heard of them getting a visit. The BATFE actually wouldn't even know until the dealer's next audit unless the CA DOJ notifies them based off of the number of long guns you put on a long gun DROS.

If they show up and you don't have any of the receivers, you might have to answer additional questions. If they show up and you have them, then you bought them for yourself. If they show up, I would ask for a warrant or ask to meet them at a neutral place. You can cooperate without cooperating.

kemasa
10-19-2009, 5:43 PM
I saw a video in which the law professor and police officer said to not talk to law enforcement as it will never do you any good. I think there are exceptions.

If you ask for a warrant or request to meet at a neutral place, they are going to look at you much closer than otherwise. If you have all of them, meet them at the door with all of them or even let them in. Yes, you have a right to demand a warrant, but they might just come back with a warrant and toss your place looking for what you are hiding.

If you sold them, you had best not sell them in more than 6 occasions in a year as you will be considered a firearms dealer under the CA Penal Code, so if you don't have all the licenses, you will have a problem. Make sure that you have all the details of the sales.

Sometimes it is better to cooperate than asking for trouble. You should be able to just not talk to them without a problem, but do you really want to bet that will be the way it actually works.

JaMail
10-19-2009, 7:02 PM
i want to do a little speculating, stag lowers are so freaking cheap right now, i want to pick up a dozen for 95.00 each build them and hold on to them for a year or two.. if prices happen to jump back up in the next couple of years, i can do a couple of trade up's

kemasa
10-20-2009, 8:43 PM
There is no problem with that, just don't do more than 6 transactions per year.

EOD Guy
10-21-2009, 7:53 AM
There is no problem with that, just don't do more than 6 transactions per year.

The 6 transactions per year limit is for handguns.

kemasa
10-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, yes, but for non-handguns it is a bit more vague:

(c) (1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being
concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar
year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without
regularity.

cgseanp1
10-21-2009, 4:55 PM
Isn't it 6 rifles per DROS? Or am I way off? I know when I've bought guns the dealers mention you can put up to 6 (i think) on one form, or something or other.

yoteassasin
10-21-2009, 7:43 PM
Isn't it 6 rifles per DROS? Or am I way off? I know when I've bought guns the dealers mention you can put up to 6 (i think) on one form, or something or other.

it is 10 long guns per dros and you can do 10 pistols but i would gues they would all have to be ppt or the buyer would have to be in some exempt category but you would also have to pay the CA REG fee on each handgun

ke6guj
10-21-2009, 7:47 PM
Isn't it 6 rifles per DROS? Or am I way off? I know when I've bought guns the dealers mention you can put up to 6 (i think) on one form, or something or other.no limit per the DROS, IIRC, it has been mentioned that you can enter up to 99 in the DROS system, and that even that really isn't the max.

As for the 4473, there is room for 5 firearms, but if you need more room than that, you just fill out a sheet of paper with the rest of the firearms listed and attach it to the 4473.

yoteassasin
10-21-2009, 7:51 PM
no limit per the DROS, IIRC, it has been mentioned that you can enter up to 99 in the DROS system, and that even that really isn't the max.

As for the 4473, there is room for 5 firearms, but if you need more room than that, you just fill out a sheet of paper with the rest of the firearms listed and attach it to the 4473.

wow i think i just got owned im normally the guy with all the answers oh well