PDA

View Full Version : OC

jarhead995
10-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Do you have to be a certain age to OC in California or anywhere else?

hoffmang
10-18-2009, 11:52 PM
21 and you have to be in an unincorporated area of California where discharging a firearm is not prohibited. There is not a lot of territory where that is true.

-Gene

Synergy
10-18-2009, 11:54 PM
There is a lot of info on this site about OC'ing. The consensus is avoid it unless you have the money (lots of it) and time to fight the law. There are members here that are in court cases fighting legal UOC.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=142379

My mistake I though OP meant UOC (unloaded open carry) but just in case.

Scratch705
10-19-2009, 12:01 AM
if you want to, but can't pay the legal fees. only OC for those big OC events that some people organize. at these OC events, the cops and general population at large won't cause much trouble besides weird looks.

Decoligny
10-19-2009, 8:22 AM
21 and you have to be in an unincorporated area of California where discharging a firearm is not prohibited. There is not a lot of territory where that is true.

-Gene

Gene is mistaken.

You can legally open carry if you are old enough to own a gun. 21 is not the age of legal ownership, 18 is.

So at 18 you can legally open carry a loaded firearm in any unicorporated area of California where discharging a firearm is not prohibited. Almost all of Kern County falls into this category. Each county has it's own laws, be sure to review them before attempting OC.

You can also UOC legally anywhere in California with certain limitations. Knowing these limitations is crucial to staying out of jail. CaliforniaOpenCarry.org is a good source for more information.

Currently Unloaded Open Carry is being discouraged at least until we get incorporation through the McDonald case.

Greg-Dawg
10-19-2009, 8:57 AM
Go OC with all your heart's desire young man.

Eckolaker
10-19-2009, 9:50 AM
Carry a copy of the existing laws and sections on UOC/OC...Keep it with you. Any cop that attempts to make an arrest provide that paper to them...and kindly inform them if they arrest you, you will be filing a civil lawsuit against them for False-Arrest, False-imprisonment, and violation of your Civil rights.

They will certainly think twice about doing so.

pullnshoot25
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Decoligny is correct, you only have to be 18.

He is also correct in that OC in urban areas is being discouraged at the moment. However, should you decide to open carry, make sure you understand all aspects of it.

Training videos in my sig line.

Meplat
10-19-2009, 3:19 PM

-Gene

I would submit that actually it is the great majority of California territory. There is a world beyond the sidewalks.

That would be the place to OC, plus you can do it loaded.

demnogis
10-19-2009, 3:31 PM
Like National Forests! (Not National Parks or State Parks in CA).

There's so much National Forest land for us to camp, hike, fish, hunt and just plain enjoy here. Most all don't have load restrictions (LA NF the one I know of that does) so you can Loaded Open Carry without hassle. Even if a ranger does hassle you, I have a strong feeling CGF would be on your side as it is legal.

UOC in urban areas is currently "not a good idea". Unless you're ready to take on a lot of risks, I'd suggest waiting until we have full 2A incorporation before considering UOC.

I would submit that actually it is the great majority of California territory. There is a world beyond the sidewalks.

That would be the place to OC, plus you can do it loaded.

jarhead995
10-19-2009, 4:58 PM
I got another 4 years...

pullnshoot25
10-19-2009, 5:19 PM
I got another 4 years...

Before you are 18 or before you can buy a handgun from a gun store?

hoffmang
10-19-2009, 7:23 PM
There's so much National Forest land for us to camp, hike, fish, hunt and just plain enjoy here. Most all don't have load restrictions (LA NF the one I know of that does) so you can Loaded Open Carry without hassle. Even if a ranger does hassle you, I have a strong feeling CGF would be on your side as it is legal.

LOC where legal is likely to be defended by CGF.

Apologies for boning the 21 v 18 answer above. I blame it being late when I posted :p

-Gene

jarhead995
10-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Before you are 18 or before you can buy a handgun from a gun store?

18 :P

pullnshoot25
10-20-2009, 11:41 PM
18 :P

Crikey!

demnogis
10-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Come back when you're 18 please :) Hopefully by then the legal atmosphere will be pro-Open Carry.

pullnshoot25
10-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Come back when you're 18 please :) Hopefully by then the legal atmosphere will be pro-Open Carry.

No, stick around and learn. Besides, you can OC with your parents IIRC. :)

jarhead995
10-21-2009, 5:45 PM
No, stick around and learn. Besides, you can OC with your parents IIRC. :)

I came to stick around and learn :)

KylaGWolf
10-21-2009, 8:54 PM
As a few others have stated you can oc but it is discouraged at this time. But I see on the second page that you are not legally not old enough to carry a gun in this state so the rest of my post is rather redundant.

Pullnshoot suggested having an understanding of the laws that go with open carrying and I have to agree with that may I also suggest the following:

1. Carry a digital tape recorder with FRESH batteries.

2. Make sure you have a friendly non weapon carrying witness with you

3. Make sure they have a digital camera or digital video camera along with a digital audio recorder. And to keep both running even if asked to turn them off by any Law enforcement officer. (this protects both you and the officer should there be a encounter with them)

4. Make sure to have at least 15 fliers that state what is legal in open carrying

5. Make sure you can afford legal counsel in case you are arrested (justified or not).

6. If you are going to attempt to open carry in an incorporated area make sure to do a check to make sure that you are NOT in violation of any of the school zones. Look for public, private, and charter schools. I would double check using a couple of sources. I would also check the area out before hand just to make sure since charter schools do not always show up on maps and can have very little signage.

pullnshoot25
10-21-2009, 11:20 PM
As a few others have stated you can oc but it is discouraged at this time. But I see on the second page that you are not legally not old enough to carry a gun in this state so the rest of my post is rather redundant.

Pullnshoot suggested having an understanding of the laws that go with open carrying and I have to agree with that may I also suggest the following:

1. Carry a digital tape recorder with FRESH batteries.

2. Make sure you have a friendly non weapon carrying witness with you

3. Make sure they have a digital camera or digital video camera along with a digital audio recorder. And to keep both running even if asked to turn them off by any Law enforcement officer. (this protects both you and the officer should there be a encounter with them)

4. Make sure to have at least 15 fliers that state what is legal in open carrying

5. Make sure you can afford legal counsel in case you are arrested (justified or not).

6. If you are going to attempt to open carry in an incorporated area make sure to do a check to make sure that you are NOT in violation of any of the school zones. Look for public, private, and charter schools. I would double check using a couple of sources. I would also check the area out before hand just to make sure since charter schools do not always show up on maps and can have very little signage.

Videos in sig line!

7x57
10-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Crikey!

You wondering if he has a younger sister? :43:

No, you'll never live it down--nor the leather pants, either. :rofl:

7x57