PDA

View Full Version : Question about Accuracy International Rifles...

BlackReef
10-18-2009, 9:38 PM
Looking to take the plunge on either a AE MK1 or AE MKII Rifle, 2.0 w/ folding stock in black. I went to order the Mk1 and saw that a Mk II is available?

The MKII is a newer rifle? They are selling for the same price - can anyone tell me the differences between the MK1 and MKII?

Thanks

Pryde
10-18-2009, 9:45 PM
MK2 comes with more barrel options (different lengths and threaded options)
MK2 also has a trigger group that is easier to remove.
MK2 takes double stack AICS magazines that hold 5 or 10 rounds.
MK1 takes single stack AE magazines that hold 5 rounds.

The improvements on the MK2 are relatively minor except for the additional magazine capacity. At the same price: get the MK2, but if you can get a good deal on a MK1 then you aren't losing that much over the MK2.

BlackReef
10-18-2009, 9:48 PM
Ya well they are both priced identical. I'm going to E-mail them and ask if I can get a price break on the Mk 1, if not I'll go with the Mk II

technique
10-18-2009, 9:49 PM
Most of what I have read is in the trigger...the MK11 is "improved". The coast guard requested it. :)

Pryde
10-18-2009, 9:50 PM
Most of what I have read is in the trigger...the MK11 is "improved". The coast guard requested it. :)

Same trigger pull on both guns, it is improved because you don't have to take down the action to remove the trigger group on the Mk2. As I previously stated.

ar15barrels
10-18-2009, 9:51 PM
I would not limit yourself to the MkI's 5rd mags.

Pryde
10-18-2009, 9:56 PM
I would not limit yourself to the MkI's 5rd mags.

There is a small advantage in the Mk1 mags in that it is .125" longer than the AICS mag allowing for your rounds to be loaded to a slightly longer OAL.

ar15barrels
10-18-2009, 10:03 PM
There is a small advantage in the Mk1 mags in that it is .125" longer than the AICS mag allowing for your rounds to be loaded to a slightly longer OAL.

I'd rather have AICS mags.
I would know that almost anywhere I went with it that there would be other guys with AICS mags in case mine were lost/forgotten/fubar.
How often do you run into people with AE mags?

I only know one guy that has an AE and those funky AE mags.
Everyone else I know who uses AI mags will all have AICS mags.

Logistics wins.

Pryde
10-18-2009, 10:04 PM
I'd rather have AICS mags.
I would know that almost anywhere I went with it that there would be other guys with AICS mags in case mine were lost/forgotten/fubar.
How often do you run into people with AE mags?

I only know one guy that has an AE and those funky AE mags.
Everyone else I know who uses AI mags will all have AICS mags.

Agree completely,
I was just saying that there is just one advantage to the AE mag.

ar15barrels
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Agree completely,
I was just saying that there is just one advantage to the AE mag.

The funny thing is that the one guy I know with the AE, he shoots factory ammo that his dept buys him.
He's a real-deal sniper.

rksimple
10-19-2009, 6:58 AM
They made some 8 round AE mags for a little while back in the day. I doubt you could even find one now.

BlackReef
10-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys. If I can't get a price break on the Mk 1, than I will be going with the Mk II

rksimple
10-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. If I can't get a price break on the Mk 1, than I will be going with the Mk II

Even with a price break, I'd still get the MkII.

tiger222
10-19-2009, 3:33 PM
Why stop at the MK11? I'd go all out and get a full AW with a 20"
flutted and AI muzzle break, oh and 2.0 chassis. I'd pass on the pic rail
and monopod. That said, my 1.5'd AWP 24" threaded does the job nicely as is too....