PDA

View Full Version : WTS: Complete .308 Remington 700 rifle, long range setup

Rln_21
10-18-2009, 9:52 PM
WILLING to separate scope and rifle package...

Looking to sell my complete rifle set up, I haven't ended up using it as much as I had hoped.

Included:

Remington 700 short action, heavy 20" barrel (approx 130-150 rds)
Bell and Carlson Light Tactical stock
Williams bottom metal
Timney trigger
SC 15MOA bases
EGW aluminum, matched and serialized tactical rings
Falcon Menace 4-14X44 FFP scope, Enhanced MOA reticle
Butler Creek flip up lens covers
Harris BR bipod
Tac Ops bolt knob

The action is not glass bedded, however, I lapped the action to the aluminum pillars to greatly increase contact area, it fits really well.

The Wiliams bottom metal is very high quality, I was really impressed with the tight tolerances and precision machining.

When I recieved the bases they were not quite straight and were very soft, I trued them up in the milling machine and heat treated them.

The scope rings are properly lapped in.
The scope has the reticle in the first focal plane, meaning that the Mil-Dots are accurate for ranging purposes regardless of the magnification power you are using. The glass is very clear, I think this is one of the very best scope values in the price range.

The only flaw with the rifle is some pitting in the weld for the bolt handle attachent. The attachment is very solid and the pits are only a cosmetic defect, they are pretty much only noticable up close.

This rifle shoots extremely accurately by any standards, and it is just getting broken in. With good hand loads, a good shooter should be able to hold sub .5" 5 shot groups pretty consistantly.
My best group with the rifle at 100yds was a 3 shot group I fired during load development; it measured .191"! I have shot several other 3 shot groups in the .3-.4" range and 5 shot groups in the .4-.5" range. Keep in mind that I am not a really good rifle shot by any means.
I already have a good load developed for the rifle and will give the purchaser any info I have.

Everything SPF

Contact at roy@grayguns.com or 541-468-3840

Here are some pics:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q29/Rln_21/IMG_0510.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q29/Rln_21/IMG_0511.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q29/Rln_21/IMG_0512.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q29/Rln_21/IMG_0515.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q29/Rln_21/IMG_0513.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q29/Rln_21/IMG_0292.jpg

rumble phish
10-18-2009, 11:46 PM
yeah, I'd call that a "tack driver"! :yes:

I love my Remmy 700PSS.

Someone is gonna get a sweet setup :)

user_name
10-18-2009, 11:53 PM
nice rifle. Where are you located?

Rln_21
10-19-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm in Oregon, I work for an FFL so I can ship the gun to your FFL easily.

mtnfolk mike
10-19-2009, 1:16 PM
that is a great looking gun...:eek:

badhabit90
10-19-2009, 6:49 PM
NICE set up. that is a very reasonable price for this set up. and you have the target to back it up. GLWS..:o

Rln_21
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Bump, offers?
If someone is interested in the package without the scope, the rest could be available separately...

Rln_21
10-26-2009, 9:13 PM
Will separate scope and rifle package...

LexLuther
10-26-2009, 9:38 PM
drool

swerv512
10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
drool

dont you mean:
:drool5:

badhabit90
10-27-2009, 5:33 PM
well if you have this in a few months-pending a lawsuit award:)- i will be very interested still.

Rln_21
10-30-2009, 1:55 AM
Well, I am hoping I don't have it that long but on the chance that I do remember my contact info... :)

nvgnav
10-30-2009, 2:38 PM
Per our PM, I'll take the scope and rings...

badhabit90
10-31-2009, 2:46 PM
Well, I am hoping I don't have it that long but on the chance that I do remember my contact info... :)
absolutely. with the scope and rings currently on it....how many rounds did it take to zero it in. i see someone wants the scope and rings...:(

Rln_21
10-31-2009, 7:32 PM
The scope is sold pending funds but not the rings.

It didn't take more than 5-8 rounds to zero it. It all depends on your technique. I like to set it up in a really solid shooting bag I have and then pull the bolt and adjust the gun till I can see the target while looking down the bore. Without moving the gun at all I adjust the crosshairs until they are in the center of the target and then I fire the first shot. This time it worked pretty well and IIRC I was only about 6" low and a few inches left. A few adjustments and your dead on... It is easier if you do it at 50yds but its possible to do at 100 as well if you have a really stable rest.

Jicko
10-31-2009, 8:09 PM
The action is not glass bedded, however, I lapped the action to the aluminum pillars to greatly increase contact area, it fits really well.

A couple of questions:

1) what's your qualification in terms of lapping work and gunsmithing work? Do you have any gunsmithing education?

2) 2.906" COAL that you listed in your target, will the rounds fit the internal magazine? If not, you can only get this performance single-loading? What's the accuarcy of the gun with magazine-able COAL? 2.906" seems to indicate a huge chamber... is there any issue?

3) How much is the gun, without the scope, since the scope is SPF now...

Tenamaxtle
10-31-2009, 9:41 PM
What part of Oregon are you?

Rln_21
10-31-2009, 11:21 PM
A couple of questions:

1) what's your qualification in terms of lapping work and gunsmithing work? Do you have any gunsmithing education?

2) 2.906" COAL that you listed in your target, will the rounds fit the internal magazine? If not, you can only get this performance single-loading? What's the accuarcy of the gun with magazine-able COAL? 2.906" seems to indicate a huge chamber... is there any issue?

3) How much is the gun, without the scope, since the scope is SPF now...

1) I am a gunsmith at Grayguns Inc. (www.grayguns.com); we mostly specialize in handgun work but we do some rifle stuff as well.

2) Rounds will not fit in the magazine box when loaded to that length. I have never tried working up a load that will fit in the box since I wasn't doing any shooting that needed it. I actually installed one of those little aluminum plates (drop in part, not permanent) that allows the gun to easily single feed rounds.
The chamber/headspace check out with go/no go gauges, I haven't had any problems with it. I just chalked it up to variation in manufacturing tolerances and haven't worried about it since I never used the box magazine anyway and the headspace was fine. Technically you could set the barrel back to bring the rifling closer to working with factory spec ammo,I just liked how it shot and made my load match the dimensions as received.

3) For the rifle including everything advertised without scope/Butler Creek caps I am thinking $1400 shipped to your FFL.

I am in Spray Oregon, its in central Oregon a couple hours from Bend.