PDA

View Full Version : Lept without looking into my first AR build - please check my new partlist!

jedinerd
10-18-2009, 7:12 PM
Well I decided to leap without really looking first into my first AR build ( well any type of gun build for that matter ). I bought a mega billet lower and upper that came as a set.
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/latemdl08/1.jpg

After doing a little more research I am wondering if should have bought a complete upper but c'est la vie, this is how I end up getting familiar with something anyway.

So far that's the only thing I have purchased but i have put together a most likely incomplete, and still tentative part list.
List V2.

mega billet upper lower combo
16" YHM fluted barrel 1:7 or 1:9 twist
Eostech 516
Eostech side flip magnifier 3x ( see previous )
Geiselle two stage trigger
ACE Fixed ARFX Skeleton stock
armalite lower parts kit
JP recoil eliminator (I think this is ok with featureless ?)
Yankee Hill Specter length Free float forearm system
Yankee Hill Forearm end cap
Yankee Hill Specter gas block
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
a2 style hand guard + dura glock fin

Tools:
DPMS Ar Multi-tool
Set of punches from harbor freight
nylon / brass hammer
Panther Receiver claw

Am I in over my head? Have i left out any terribly important bits? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Bug Splat
10-18-2009, 7:16 PM
Damn thats sexy! I like to build my own junk too.

jedinerd
10-18-2009, 7:18 PM
Damn thats sexy! I like to build my own junk too.
I know isn't it? I had totally planned on buying a used forged lower on the cheap until i saw this one :-\. All of a sudden all the other ones i had been eying looked 'less cool' than they had previously. Don't you hate it when that happens?

technique
10-18-2009, 7:32 PM
I would loose the Command Arms stock....everything else looks alright. What purpose are you building this weapon for...

jedinerd
10-18-2009, 7:39 PM
I would loose the Command Arms stock....everything else looks alright. What purpose are you building this weapon for...
I was hoping to make it a short to mid range rifle, while still leaving me open for other avenues down the line. What other stock would you recommend that will still allow me some capability for adjustment and tuning on the bench and would still allow a fixed configuration so i can maintain a featureless status for this build?

osis32
10-18-2009, 7:42 PM
I just finished my carbine lower and I have to say the magpul friction lock is great. any stock that has that is the way to go.

technique
10-18-2009, 7:43 PM
ACE
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=75_77

Cal-Irish
10-18-2009, 7:43 PM
Pricey build!

You're going to have to get some tools and go to work.

SoCalRandy
10-18-2009, 7:45 PM
Rainier Arms has LPK's with two stage triggers included....

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=395

PKFirearms has LPK's with the Timney triggers (single stage) drop in replacement triggers also....

http://www.pkfirearms.com/searchall/index

SoCalRandy
10-18-2009, 7:46 PM
I just finished my carbine lower and I have to say the magpul friction lock is great. any stock that has that is the way to go.

He's looking to go featurless. Collapsible stock is not an option.

THT
10-18-2009, 7:47 PM
Trigger: Geissele SSA <- best two-stage trigger I've used
LPK: Can't go wrong with most however personally, I've had the fewest problems with Armalites. I just finished two builds with Daniel Defense LPKs and they're $70 and come with an MOE trigger guard
Stock: If you're going featureless, try the A2. If you want to pin an adjustable one, PRS. The adjustments it offers are pretty sweet for medium-long range work.

bombadillo
10-18-2009, 7:48 PM
Ace stock or shorty A2 stock would suit it nicely. I'm with Technique, lose the stock option. Beautiful upper and lower though, I'd love to own one of those mega billets.

Bud Fox
10-18-2009, 7:50 PM
What purpose are you building this weapon for...

SHOOTING ZOMBIES. Sheeeeeeesh. Damn technique, did you NOT get the memo?

EDIT - This was my 308 post, very nice, I like it.

jedinerd
10-18-2009, 8:10 PM
I think i like the Ace stock for this one. Is the list of tools i have there adequate to install all of the parts i have listed? Would this list make a complete rifle as it is? I was concerned about the upper as I am not really sure what it comes with and what i have to put into it.
Also am i way off base as far as optics are concerned? The holo + magnifier seemed like the best of all worlds for short to mid range, and i went with eotech because it seemed like a well established brand. When it comes to the optics for this build i really only want to cry once. As far as the model number though i am not really sure what the difference from the other seemingly similar looking , similarly priced options are.
The other question of course is the JP recoil eliminator. After watching the videos on their site i want one of those :-D Can i put it on a feature less rifle? As far as i have read it should qualify as a break but i am the farthest thing from an expert.
As far as the monster man grips, i have seen a similar looking grip in pictures that looked like it was slightly more vertical with a smaller triangle attached to it. Anyone know which ones these are?

bombadillo
10-18-2009, 8:33 PM
I liked the do-all tool from Addax that they sent me. Its heavy as all get out so if you want to use it for home defense you can do that too! I love my recoil eliminator from JP and people on either side of me hate it so get used to that. Eotech or Aimpoint you can't go wrong i'm kind of partial to Eotech myself. I don't own either one but i've shot with the eotech more and it suits my use and I really like the small 1moa dot in the middle. You could get the grip that is made by duraglock as well it fits over the standard A2 handle or he'll make one to work with your rifle. Let him know he does great work.

jedinerd
10-18-2009, 11:45 PM
A like the duraglock grips the best of all the featureless options I have seen so far. Do I need anything akin to an upper parts kit or anything similar? I wanna make sure I account for all the little bits and pieces I am going to need. I am quite excited to get started! Several of my co-workers decided we were going to get all the parts and have an ar party. None of us have built one before though ...

jedinerd
10-19-2009, 7:41 PM
I did some more reading and I think that I might be missing a few parts still. I didn't pick out a gas block, and to be honest i am not sure what it does. I have also seen mention of a gas piston. The other major thing i think i am missing is the bolt carrier group? Can anyone confirm, and possibly recommend any good choices that would compliment my current build?

Josh3239
10-19-2009, 8:04 PM
I am guessing your barrel didn't come with the A2 style front sight base gas block. On standard rifles the A2 style front base is the gas block. The gas block essentially reroutes gas from the barrel to the gas tube, which then reroutes it back into the system making the rifle autoloading.

Gas piston is a different type of gas system. Basically you are either using a gas tube or a gas piston. It sounds like you want the tube and block.

BCG you will absolutely need. Bravocompanyusa.com makes great BCGs.

jedinerd
10-19-2009, 8:27 PM
I am guessing your barrel didn't come with the A2 style front sight base gas block. On standard rifles the A2 style front base is the gas block. The gas block essentially reroutes gas from the barrel to the gas tube, which then reroutes it back into the system making the rifle autoloading.

Gas piston is a different type of gas system. Basically you are either using a gas tube or a gas piston. It sounds like you want the tube and block.

I looked at some pictures of the barrel i want and it appears to come bare. As i want to go with eotech optics should i still have iron sites? I am thinking it would have a cleaner look without them. Am i understanding this right that a low profile gas block goes under the hand guard? If I got one of those would want to get a rifle length front hand guard instead of a carbine sized?

CK1
10-19-2009, 8:34 PM
Well I decided to leap without really looking first into my first AR build ( well any type of gun build for that matter ). I bought a mega billet lower and upper that came as a set.

After doing a little more research I am wondering if should have bought a complete upper but c'est la vie, this is how I end up getting familiar with something anyway.

So far that's the only thing I have purchased but i have put together a most likely incomplete, and still tentative part list.

Am I in over my head? Have i left out any terribly important bits? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Don't even sweat it cuz you ain't alone!

I did the exact same thing. I bought the exact same lower on the exact same day without much thought into it at all.

I mean, I did some research but I basically asked the guys at T&A Armory who the heck Mega is about 3 minutes before I filled out the purchase papers.

I don't care. It's not a lot of money and I think I can spot quality well enough. It looked like pretty good quality metal.

I say just dive right in and build an AR! How hard can it be, right?
Hell, it's no like it's a NASA rocket launch tower or something!

Wait, I actually worked on NASA rocket launch tower. Now that was complex! There's no way this will be that hard.

jedinerd
10-19-2009, 8:44 PM
Don't even sweat it cuz you ain't alone!

I did the exact same thing. I bought the exact same lower on the exact same day without much thought into it at all.

I mean, I did some research but I basically asked the guys at T&A Armory who the heck Mega is about 3 minutes before I filled out the purchase papers.

I don't care. It's not a lot of money and I think I can spot quality well enough. It looked like pretty good quality metal.

I say just dive right in and build an AR! How hard can it be, right?
Hell, it's no like it's a NASA rocket launch tower or something!

Wait, I actually worked on NASA rocket launch tower. Now that was complex! There's no way this will be that hard.

My thoughts exactly. My friends and I all work in fortune 500 companies doing IT work so we should be able to figure out how to assemble the honda civic of rifles. To be honest i am more nervous about getting to my proposed assembly day and realizing I am missing some large obvious part, like the BCG or the gas block :-D .

If it weren't for that billet mega combo impulse buy i would probably still have it in my head to build a budget rifle.

I'm still unsure on what gas block i should get and if i need additional tubes and such or does it come with the necessary parts. I have read plenty of stuff regarding lowers but i am still unclear of all the additional parts i will need to make my upper go together. I plan to take photos of all the different steps in a build journal of sorts.

jedinerd
10-19-2009, 9:33 PM
mega billet upper lower combo
16" YHM fluted barrel 1:7 or 1:9 twist
Eostech 516
Eostech side flip magnifier 3x ( see previous )
Geiselle two stage trigger
ACE Fixed ARFX Skeleton stock
armalite lower parts kit
JP recoil eliminator (I think this is ok with featureless ?)
Yankee Hill Specter length Free float forearm system
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto

Tools:
DPMS Ar Multi-tool
nylon / brass hammer
Panther Receiver claw

Am I missing anything else? Is one of these things not like the other? Any terrible oversights or poor choices?

SoCalRandy
10-20-2009, 3:42 AM
Just a suggestion but you might want to consider the weight of an Eotech with a magnifier. It's gonna be pretty heavy. Depending on your intended use, you might want to consider a Trijicon ACOG instead? Also, if you are going featureless I think you'll need either a MMG (monster man grip)...

http://www.monstermangrip.com/MMG_AR.php

or a pistol grip wrap...

http://solartactical.com/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=19

technique
10-20-2009, 5:14 AM

Two plugs in one post right now for Addax.

If OP is interested in a GP upper, Addax is the way to go. He also recently came out with some great looking DI uppers that should be making waves in the AR community here shortly once everyone is aware they are available. Highly recommended by tech!;)

On the subject of BCGs, Addax seems over looked here too. He has Young MFG BCGs as well as semi/FA BCGs that are MP tested and have a microslick coating for when you're running that gun real hard and don't have the time to stop and lube up...you can run his micrslicked bolts basically bone dry if need be. Also, a tech recommended product!;)

They seem to be in the same price range as BCM, only Addax has them in stock with more consistency and has both semi/FA. He also has the YHM barrels the OP is looking for for under $200.

jedinerd
10-20-2009, 5:51 AM
Two plugs in one post right now for Addax.

If OP is interested in a GP upper, Addax is the way to go. He also recently came out with some great looking DI uppers that should be making waves in the AR community here shortly once everyone is aware they are available. Highly recommended by tech!;)

On the subject of BCGs, Addax seems over looked here too. He has Young MFG BCGs as well as semi/FA BCGs that are MP tested and have a microslick coating for when you're running that gun real hard and don't have the time to stop and lube up...you can run his micrslicked bolts basically bone dry if need be. Also, a tech recommended product!;)

They seem to be in the same price range as BCM, only Addax has them in stock with more consistency and has both semi/FA. He also has the YHM barrels the OP is looking for for under $200.

Sweet, i will definitely check them out. Getting as many of the parts in one place will definitely be convenient. I would try a GP upper if I hadn't bought a matched billet combo. As it stands i am pretty excited with the list of bits i have come up with. I definitely couldn't have done it without all my fellow calgunners. I am still questioning my choices in optics, but i am still leaning torwards the eotech. I have always been partial to open red dot sites ever since i had a bb gun as a kid that came with a miniature knock off eotech.

technique
10-20-2009, 5:57 AM
Well, you can still go a GP, Just give Addax (Chris) a call...He does custom builds to your specs. Your stripped upper can be easily Mod'ed to be a GP upper. He sent me some samples not long ago of some uppers parts and barrels. All the uppers he uses are mod'ed and then recoated, they look amazing and you would never know they weren't OEM DI parts. He uses Vltor billet uppers on some of his uppers....they come out tits!!! Highly recommended.

Rockhound
10-20-2009, 6:20 AM
I'm building my first AR too. I didn't see a Bullet Button or Prince 50 on your parts list.

THT
10-20-2009, 6:51 AM
I'm building my first AR too. I didn't see a Bullet Button or Prince 50 on your parts list.

He's doing a featureless build.

pacrimguru
10-20-2009, 7:20 AM

LOL! i feel the same way. CAA stocks are the Fast and the Furious of the AR world. can't stand those things. glad you changed that out.

i'd usually tell you to go shoot before building your rifle up with all these parts but since you're getting in over your head anyways, why don't you step up to nicer rails? YHM is fine, but there are many other rails out there that would look better with your mega upper receiver. just a thought.

+1 on ADDAX. call chris.

Addax
10-20-2009, 9:24 AM
If you any of you guys need any assistance with building out an upper, give us a call.

We build both Gas Piston and DI, and we just recently started launching some really neat DI uppers in 18" rifle length configurations.

We also sell many different types of AR accessories from stocks, to rails, optics, and other misc. parts. If we do not have it in stock, we either have it on backorder with the mfg., or we can backorder it for you.

We are a semi-custom shop, which means we can build many different types of uppers to suit the individual customers requirements (sorry we do not build pistol uppers right now), and we also have a permanent line of uppers we always build and sell.

We only use high quality components we have tested, and that we know works.

All of our Bolt Carrier Groups come with MP tested Mil-Spec and Match Grade bolts from mfg's such as Young Mfg, LMT, AA, AP and CMT.

Each bolt is inspected, and we install a crane ehanced o-ring or power spring (if the bolt does not already have one of these installed).

We have all of our Bolt Carrier Groups coated with Cerakote Microslick for its Ceramic based semi-self lubricating properties, which is a bonus in DI and Piston uppers. We still recommend a little lubrication, but the Microslick really helps to reduce the amount of needed lubrication.

Each bolt carrier has the keys inspected, and we make sure the gas key screws are properly torqued, and if necessary, we stake the keys further with our MOACKS tool.

We inspect all of our upper receivers and barrels, and everything we build is checked for headspace, test fired for fucntion, cleaned and lubricated before shipping.

Once we get our ffl, we will be providing complete rifle and carbine solutions in both DI and Gas Piston.

Gas Piston Uppers: http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=172

Our new DI Uppers Section called the Addax Custom Shop: http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/showSearchResults.asp?&iPageSize=20&iPageCurrent=1&pageStyle=p&priceFrom=0&priceUntil=9999999&SKU=&order=5&IDBrand=106

I had new photos of our uppers taken yesterday, and we will upload those to the website in the next week.

Here are some of our uppers:

We just built this custom 6.5 Grendel Gas Piston Upper using the PWS long stroke system, and Vltor MUR upper receiver, and Microslicked FA Mil-Spec Bolt Carrier Group with Grendel Bolt from Sabre Defence.

We had the entire upper (minus the XTM rail panels) Cerakoted in Magpul FDE... Literally matches the Magpul FDE on the XTM rail panels...

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/65Grendelgpufde.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/65grendelatacfde.jpg

Here is one of our new Side Charging Competition Elite DI 18" Uppers using a WOA SDM fluted 18" barrel, ASA Side Charging Upper (Cerakoted in Black) a PRI Carbon Fiber Natural Handguard, PRI adjustable gas block, FSC556 Compensator, and Microslicked Mil-Spec Semi Auto Bolt Carrier Group.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/addaxcompetitionelite3.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/addaxcompetitionelite8.jpg

Here is our new Tactical Lite SPR Upper using a WOA SDM Fluted 18" Barrel, Black Rain Ordnance Billet 7075 Upper, Daniel Defense 14" Rail, Vltor VC1 Comp/Flash Hider, Microslicked Mil-Spec Semi Auto Bolt Carrier Group and ArmaDynamics Ambi Charging Handle. Weighs 5 pounds loaded.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/addaxcustomspr5.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/addaxcustomspr2.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

gun toting monkeyboy
10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I just installed one of those Ace ARFX stocks on my featureless build lower. I have been quite happy with it. It was quite comfortable to shoot. I also went with the Solar Tactical kydex grip-thingy. It lets me use a regular A2 pistol grip, and would take less than a minute to uninstall if Zombies ever show up.

-Mb

Lurch762
10-20-2009, 1:13 PM
Was there a buffer/spring/tube on the list or included in any of the kits you listed?

aplinker
10-20-2009, 4:09 PM
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/latemdl08/1.jpg

List V2.

mega billet upper lower combo nice choice
16" YHM fluted barrel 1:7 or 1:9 twist Yuck
Eostech 516 Yuck
Eostech side flip magnifier 3x ( see previous ) Yuck
Geiselle two stage trigger SSA or adjustable?
ACE Fixed ARFX Skeleton stock it's ok
armalite lower parts kit Good
JP recoil eliminator (I think this is ok with featureless ?) Why bother?! It's for a match gun. If you want a match gun, get the lightened JP carrier and an adjustable gas block.
Yankee Hill Specter length Free float forearm system Yuck
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto Good

Tools:
DPMS Ar Multi-tool
nylon / brass hammer
Panther Receiver claw

My comments in red. Not hard to do, but there are other pieces you didn't mention (gas tube, roll pin, etc). The 516/Magnifier set-up is really heavy and bulky - not to mention WAY overpriced. I'd definitely choose one of the BDC reticles if I were using a magnifier - otherwise I'd just use an Aimpoint T1. You might as well buy the newest incarnation of the EOTech, too.

jedinerd
10-20-2009, 4:52 PM
My comments in red. Not hard to do, but there are other pieces you didn't mention (gas tube, roll pin, etc). The 516/Magnifier set-up is really heavy and bulky - not to mention WAY overpriced. I'd definitely choose one of the BDC reticles if I were using a magnifier - otherwise I'd just use an Aimpoint T1. You might as well buy the newest incarnation of the EOTech, too.

A few questions:
1. What's wrong with the barrel? Is it not accurate? Of poor build quality? Overpriced? Ugly?
2. As far as optics I would like to have a 1x and at least 3x option. What would you suggest as the best way to accomplish that?
The main reason I was going to stick with the older eotech (was thinking the 517, with the buttons on the side ) is that they use AA's which are cheap and incredibly easy to find once the shtf.

CK1
10-20-2009, 5:11 PM
...I'm still unsure on what gas block i should get and if i need additional tubes and such or does it come with the necessary parts. I have read plenty of stuff regarding lowers but i am still unclear of all the additional parts i will need to make my upper go together.

You think you're unsure and unclear...

I don't even know what a gas block is!

Can't be worse than building a rocket launch tower though!

How many parts could there be? A couple hundred? And not all of them move?

We'll be alright!

For me the challenge is probably not letting the wife know how much $ went into this deal.

And probably want to build it right enough so I don't shoot my own face off!
That would be a good goal. I like hobbies where the objective is to not die.

wash
10-20-2009, 5:24 PM
To me, featureless and carbine length don't really go together. Well maybe if you had a sully stock...

My featureless rifle is a 20" A2 Hbar with an A2 stock and Monsterman grip.

It's got iron sights. If it were a flat top the only thing I would add is a scope.

What this thread is making me want is a side charger with a Noveske 18" 6.8 SPC barrel and a Viking Tactics rifle length hand guard. That would go really nice on my featureless lower and give it some good punch out to 400+ yards.

wash
10-20-2009, 5:29 PM
If you get an Eotech, get the new smaller one that takes a CR123A sideways.

Lithium is way better than alkaline and the springs in the old Eotechs fail because the recoil slings the battery back and forth.

Just keep a box of batteries for SHTF and BUIS for when that runs out.

SoCalRandy
10-20-2009, 6:43 PM
The main reason I was going to stick with the older eotech (was thinking the 517, with the buttons on the side ) is that they use AA's which are cheap and incredibly easy to find once the shtf.

ACOG's don't need any batteries at all...