PDA

View Full Version : I bought a rem. 700 308 vtr anyone have suggestions on how to get best peformance

travisbomhff
10-18-2009, 7:54 PM
I just bought a remington vtr 308, im new to long guns and im looking for some advice on how to fine tune the peformance of this rifle.

Requiem
10-18-2009, 8:02 PM
Honestly, IMO, worry about perfecting your marksmanship skills. Other than that, get a decent optic, bipod, sling, and test which ammo your gun likes best. Snipershide.com are a bunch of helpful guys too.

BrowningTBolt
10-18-2009, 8:06 PM
Reload.

dfletcher
10-18-2009, 8:38 PM
I just bought a remington vtr 308, im new to long guns and im looking for some advice on how to fine tune the peformance of this rifle.

Reload and tweak the factory trigger a bit, it can be improved much over the factory setting by adjusting the screws. Then lots of practice while you figure out which loads work best.

Rob454
10-18-2009, 9:21 PM
Get a good scope for it. Remis are great out of the box

ar15barrels
10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Practice.
A lot.
There's no replacement you can buy for experience.

BillyGoatMachine
10-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Yup, tune the trigger and reload your own ammo. Spend as much $$ on your scope as you did your rifle.

swerv512
10-19-2009, 8:51 AM
first and cheapest thing (FREE) is lower the trigger pull weight. use any search engine and you'll find lots of articles on how to do this. then get a bipod and a rear stock rest- this will allow you to shoot comfortably and consistently. next get as good a scope as you can afford- yeah, i always here people saying how wonderful their brand X scope is, but i've never seen them personally. you dont have to spend alot, but a quality scope will better your shooting. buy the best ammo you can afford (or start reloading). i've seen tiny groups shot with out the box FGMM or Black Hills, but do you really want to pay those prices for accuracy?... i find it pointless to shoot with cheap ammo in a rifle meant for accuarcy. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE....

GrizzlyGuy
10-19-2009, 9:10 AM
I'd suggest signing up for this excellent online training so that you get the fundamentals right from day 1 and don't develop bad habits:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=997161#Post997161

Greg-Dawg
10-19-2009, 9:27 AM
Bring an experience shooter with you when taking it out.

ar15barrels
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
first and cheapest thing (FREE) is lower the trigger pull weight. use any search engine and you'll find lots of articles on how to do this.

The x-mark triggers don't adjust nearly as well as the old remington triggers.
The adjustments are also glued with the blood of the devil.
It takes a blue wrench to break that glue down.

The good solution for an x-mark trigger is to just replace it with something else.

Killawhale415
10-19-2009, 2:42 PM
The first thing I would do is replace the craptastic stock it comes with.

swerv512
10-19-2009, 5:41 PM
^^^
i'm a pisces but i'd rather be a killawhale--- CLASSIC!

I have both an older Rem trigger and an X-Mark trigger, and i prefer the old style better. the XMP trigger can be tuned just right but i just hate that setscrew in the trigger. i'm sure everyone goes jewell, but i'd heard good stuff on Basix and even Timney...

Timberline
11-14-2009, 9:42 PM
The x-mark triggers don't adjust nearly as well as the old remington triggers.
The adjustments are also glued with the blood of the devil.
It takes a blue wrench to break that glue down.

The good solution for an x-mark trigger is to just replace it with something else.

Did Remington come out with an inferior update, in the X-Mark Pro trigger? Has anyone found it to be an improvement, worth seeking out in a Remmy 700? I'm looking for a basic 700 in .223, and wonder whether the hype is backed up by better firing.

ar15barrels
11-14-2009, 9:51 PM
Did Remington come out with an inferior update, in the X-Mark Pro trigger?

Yes.
Having the pull weight accessible is nice, but if you adjust the pull weight down and minimize sear engagement, it won't stay adjusted.
The older triggers before the x-mark are easier to adjust down into nice triggers that will stay consistent.

Even a worked over stock trigger is not going to be as nice as a good aftermarket trigger though.
I have now replaced all 4 of my 700 triggers with Timney triggers.

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Yup, tune the trigger and reload your own ammo. Spend as much $$ on your scope as you did your rifle.

ugh i hate it when people say that. yes if you can afford it than go ahead otherwise there are still tons of good quality scopes that will get the job done that dont cost you 1,000+

ar15barrels
11-14-2009, 10:35 PM
ugh i hate it when people say that. yes if you can afford it than go ahead otherwise there are still tons of good quality scopes that will get the job done that dont cost you 1,000+

You must not truly understand why people say that.
If you owned some high end scopes, you could fully appreciate the logic to that...

Money is better spent on optics than on rebarreling, action work & stocks.

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-14-2009, 10:36 PM
You must not truly understand why people say that.
If you owned some high end scopes, you could fully appreciate the logic to that...

ive shot svorski USO, nightforce while yes they are nice you get what you pay for. i can not justify, as well as others, spending 1600 on a scope for my rifle which has done what ive asked out of it with my $300 buckmaster from 100yds to 1000yds. merely saying buy what you can afford.

blackrifle242
11-14-2009, 11:47 PM
I think you should buy an AICS off me so I can get rid of them......please

hnoppenberger
11-15-2009, 1:33 AM
ah xmark is not that bad i actually have grown to like it and shoot very well with it. 900+ yard shots at even stock pull is very realistic (ive done it)
id rather put the 300 bucks of a great aftermarket trigger to better optics and use the stock trigger. disipline can overcome a less than perfect trigger. no amount of disipline can overcome poor optics.

juveyboy
11-15-2009, 5:59 AM
You should have bought the mossberg 100 ATR. The mistake was buying the remington 700. My dads friend used the 700 in the military tried my mossberg and his first word was"wow!"

-hanko
11-15-2009, 6:22 AM
You must not truly understand why people say that. If you owned some high end scopes, you could fully appreciate the logic to that...

Money is better spent on optics than on rebarreling, action work & stocks.
Post of the day.

I'd go a step further and recommend shooting to start with, v. modifications. Without time behind the trigger it's impossible to tell if a modification works for you AND the gun or not. Buy ammo, go to the range. Repeat.;)

-hanko