PDA

View Full Version : Wireless on my wireless router stopped working?

GMONEY
10-18-2009, 7:28 PM
So all of a sudden the wireles went dead? I assume I need to just go buy a new one right?

ldivinag
10-18-2009, 7:31 PM
turn off... wait a minute, turn back on.

if still out, reset to facotry defaults. RTFM on that.

ke6guj
10-18-2009, 7:31 PM
possibly. Try power cycling it first.

Is the wireless truly dead, or that you can't log into it?

I'd also suggest checking to see if the wireless wasn't turned off. Log into the router and make sure it is ON. Maybe even try a RESET of the router back to factory settings and reconfig it.

edit: too slow :D

GMONEY
10-18-2009, 9:11 PM
Ok reset the router and wireless is working again, but will not let me connect to internet now...

ke6guj
10-18-2009, 10:00 PM
reset as in power cycled it, or reset as in "pushed the reset switch"?

If you pushed the reset switch, you'll need to log into the router and reconfigure it for your internet connection.

wait, if you can't connect to the internet, how are you posting? Iphone?

whobob
10-18-2009, 10:23 PM
reset as in power cycled it, or reset as in "pushed the reset switch"?

If you pushed the reset switch, you'll need to log into the router and reconfigure it for your internet connection.

wait, if you can't connect to the internet, how are you posting? Iphone?

neighbor's wifi?

GMONEY
10-18-2009, 10:33 PM
hit and held reset button... its working hardwired from my modem... configured router for my provider and its not showing up... I think this router is toast!

JDay
10-19-2009, 2:19 AM
Reflash the firmware and it should work again. If it was toast you wouldn't even be able to login to it.

xrMike
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew from the command line has worked for me before when I get weird stuff happening with my router.

Macadelic4
10-19-2009, 1:38 PM
hit and held reset button... its working hardwired from my modem... configured router for my provider and its not showing up... I think this router is toast!

Did anyone think to tell him to powecycle his modem? If he can connect to the router but can't get to the internet, no need to reflash firmware yet.

OP: You risk bricking your router if you flash it incorrectly. Leave this as a last resort. Powercycle your modem, which should give your router an IP automagically unless you have some crappy ADSL service or something. Check configs again.

team1320
10-19-2009, 1:40 PM
reset it, unplug it for a min.. plug it back in and that works for me most the time.

ke6guj
10-19-2009, 1:43 PM
Did anyone think to tell him to powecycle his modem? If he can connect to the router but can't get to the internet, no need to reflash firmware yet.

OP: You risk bricking your router if you flash it incorrectly. Leave this as a last resort. Powercycle your modem, which should give your router an IP automagically unless you have some crappy ADSL service or something. Check configs again.

the first two replies told him that.

BB63Squid
10-19-2009, 2:47 PM
Is the SSID for the router being transmitted?

JDay
10-19-2009, 4:11 PM

That's pretty hard to do if you're not using 3rd party firmware (even then its hard to do and reversible).

Macadelic4
10-19-2009, 6:54 PM
the first two replies told him that.

First two replies talked about router, not modem. If he can connect to the wireless but not get internet, it's like 90% that the modem is doing something wrong.

That's pretty hard to do if you're not using 3rd party firmware (even then its hard to do and reversible).

I was saying that as a precautionary measure for the layperson - flashing is always a last resort if only for the reason that dealing with a router's web interface is necessarily more mentally taxing than flicking a few switches and unplugging/replugging wires. There is the bricking possibility, however small, as well.

JDay
10-19-2009, 8:23 PM
I was saying that as a precautionary measure for the layperson - flashing is always a last resort if only for the reason that dealing with a router's web interface is necessarily more mentally taxing than flicking a few switches and unplugging/replugging wires. There is the bricking possibility, however small, as well.

Yeah, because it is really hard and mentally taxing to go to the admin page, selects the firmware off your desktop and hit flash :rolleyes:

Macadelic4
10-20-2009, 1:37 AM

It isn't really mentally taxing, just MORE mentally taxing than unplugging. Easiest stuff first - some tech noobs don't even set the admin pws on their routers because they're scared to or afraid it's difficult.

BTW, OP how are things looking? Try resetting every piece of electronic equipment all the way to the wall?