PDA

View Full Version : But...But DI rifles jam in dust. Thats what HK told me

k_corj
10-18-2009, 7:24 PM
:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:OMG! Sand! Dust! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dipghcp929I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dipghcp929I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

technique
10-18-2009, 7:28 PM
dust tests such as those are pretty pointless...

series8217
10-18-2009, 7:30 PM
I'd like to see him do that with the ejection port cover open.

technique
10-18-2009, 7:32 PM

yup...its a sham of a test. First it was closed ejection side down...then he closed it for ejection side up...

What are they trying to prove? A dusty rifle can fire?

Impressive:rolleyes:

k_corj
10-18-2009, 7:34 PM
yup...its a sham of a test. First it was closed ejection side down...then he closed it for ejection side up...

What are they trying to prove? A dusty rifle can fire?

Impressive:rolleyes:

Did you watch the entire video?

He does it at the end, the last 30 secs or so

Anyway just a counter to all those stupid HK416 tests :D

technique
10-18-2009, 7:38 PM
YES...I saw him put a closed bolt ejection side down....what is so impressive?

series8217
10-18-2009, 7:39 PM
I hadn't watched the whole video. I went to the end now and yes he does repeat the test with the dust cover open, but with the port facing down. I doubt it got any dirt in it.

k_corj
10-18-2009, 7:42 PM
Jesus H Christ. Be glad someone was willing to do this with their privately owned rifle.

Would you do this to one of your rifles just to make a youtube video?

tomd1584
10-18-2009, 7:43 PM
Jesus H Christ. Be glad someone was willing to do this with their privately owned rifle.

nothing a can of compressed air cant clean out:p

DREADNOUGHT78
10-18-2009, 7:44 PM

exactly! Open the ejection port on bury it on the opposite side!

becxltoo984
10-18-2009, 7:47 PM
How about doing that with equal amounts of Mud !

technique
10-18-2009, 7:48 PM

Relax...what you have never gone urban prone ejection side down while firing? actually cycling the weapon with dirt getting into the action...the test is kinda a joke. Sorry you couldn't tell.

You might like this one too...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRaWghFpQyo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRaWghFpQyo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

reidnez
10-18-2009, 7:51 PM

This guy would!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygcfp40RTKs

All humor aside...To me, all these tests are pretty stupid. Wow, your rifle can fire after it's been buried in dirt. I don't bury my rifles in the dirt, because I paid a lot of money for them and I'd like to keep them for a long time.:rolleyes:

Glocks can fire underwater. Funny, I've never yet had the need to fire a pistol underwater, so that test is pretty meaningless to me as well. I guess that's because I don't live in a Bond movie like some of the other keyboard ninjas on this site (and others). :rolleyes:

It proves absolutely nothing which is of value to the shooter.

k_corj
10-18-2009, 7:57 PM
Wow. I just posted this for entertainment value, no need to get all anal about it.

sevensix2x51
10-18-2009, 8:10 PM
Wow. I just posted this for entertainment value, no need to get all anal about it.

lol. you posted it on an internet forum. that is like walking up to a stranger on the street and giving them $100 to kick you in the nuts. its probably gonna happen. :D

missiontrails
10-18-2009, 8:19 PM
Ya know... If I lived in the ocean, I would own a spear gun. If I lived in the sandbox, I might own a AK or other gas piston rifle that is BEST suited for the sandstorm. But, since I live in the city/neighborhood, I own an AR, one of the best suited weapons to turn "zombies" into pink mist. Would you take your BMW M3 off-roading?

bgoodman
10-18-2009, 8:35 PM
hahaha

"Gimme another mag please, this ones for the haters.!"

bombadillo
10-18-2009, 8:46 PM
First test was O.K. I guess and at least he did shoot it with the dust cover open. I'd like to see him lock a last round open, throw it in the dirt with the dust cover open, slam a mag in, and see if anything would chamber with debris and junk sitting around in it though. I'm going to try not to do this to my guns anyway, but I guess I know they can.

MikeR
10-18-2009, 9:02 PM
lol. you posted it on an internet forum. that is like walking up to a stranger on the street and giving them $100 to kick you in the nuts. its probably gonna happen. :D

Esp tonight, I think quite a few people had their Cheerios pis:eek:ed in this morning.

[QUOTE=bombadillo;3235048.... I'd like to see him lock a last round open, throw it in the dirt with the dust cover open, slam a mag in, and see if anything would chamber with debris and junk sitting around in it though.[/QUOTE]

I think you would get the same result with any rifle depending on the degree of debris you are talking about.

tomd1584
10-18-2009, 9:13 PM
Ya know... If I lived in the ocean, I would own a spear gun. If I lived in the sandbox, I might own a AK or other gas piston rifle that is BEST suited for the sandstorm. But, since I live in the city/neighborhood, I own an AR, one of the best suited weapons to turn "zombies" into pink mist. Would you take your BMW M3 off-roading?

no, but i'd take a Camaro to the Baja 500!:p

http://www.race-dezert.com/skunkz/zorro/64.jpg

sevensix2x51
10-18-2009, 9:14 PM

hey keep it off the curb!

missiontrails
10-18-2009, 9:18 PM

Umm, I think that guy at the right of the frame is picking his nose.

Seesm
10-18-2009, 9:18 PM
I like the tard in the background repeating what the one guy is saying.. He rocks. NOT. :P

jamesob
10-18-2009, 9:19 PM

with the ejection port facing up and the bolt open.

Josh3239
10-18-2009, 9:26 PM
All humor aside...To me, all these tests are pretty stupid. Wow, your rifle can fire after it's been buried in dirt. I don't bury my rifles in the dirt, because I paid a lot of money for them and I'd like to keep them for a long time.:rolleyes:

Glocks can fire underwater. Funny, I've never yet had the need to fire a pistol underwater, so that test is pretty meaningless to me as well. I guess that's because I don't live in a Bond movie like some of the other keyboard ninjas on this site (and others). :rolleyes:

It proves absolutely nothing which is of value to the shooter.

+1. I never understood why people like the idea of a rifle being able to be buried or dunked several feet under water and then fire it. I don't plan on doing either with my rifle. Bottom line is if you take care of your rifle your rifle will take care of you.

... If I lived in the sandbox, I might own a AK or other gas piston rifle that is BEST suited for the sandstorm.

Once again gas pistons are NOT the magic system. Every single GPU on the market is different in some way and they aren't made equally and that is the problem with saying "any other gas piston rifle". There is no standard, some companies have changed the design many times over. Plenty of our trooops have been living in the sandbox for months and have no complaints. The Israelis gave up Uzis, Galil's, and an unlimited and free supply of AKs for a Direct Impingment rifle.

Don't get my wrong, pistons have their place but there is no magic system and there isn't anything wrong with a DI.

missiontrails
10-18-2009, 9:34 PM
+1. I never understood why people like the idea of a rifle being able to be buried or dunked several feet under water and then fire it. I don't plan on doing either with my rifle. Bottom line is if you take care of your rifle your rifle will take care of you.

Once again gas pistons are NOT the magic system. Every single GPU on the market is different in some way and they aren't made equally and that is the problem with saying "any other gas piston rifle". There is no standard, some companies have changed the design many times over. Plenty of our trooops have been living in the sandbox for months and have no complaints. The Israelis gave up Uzis, Galil's, and an unlimited and free supply of AKs for a Direct Impingment rifle.

Don't get my wrong, pistons have their place but there is no magic system and there isn't anything wrong with a DI.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with DI, my point was that on my part of the continent, I don't ever see my DI AR platform failing due to circumstances similar to those in that video. Also, if I were going to hand select a rifle to submerge in sand, the AR would not have been my first choice. I can buy any type of rife I choose (almost), and I chose the DI AR.

Two Shots
10-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Another two feet down they would have found a AK thats been buried there for two and half years, that would be a test after towing it behind a jet ski for an hour to clean it.

i did learn don't cover guns with dirt, Use Blanket.

Stork
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Cleaning an AR is the key to keeping it working. I don't see the point in ever letting a rifle get dirty enough that it stops functioning.

AR's are awesome rifles that can be 100% reliable as long as it is kept clean. Rarely is one in an environment where there is not time to clean and maintain a rifle or pistol. These test are good for reassurance but my firearms will never become that dirty if I can help it. **** happens though. I've dropped rifles before and it makes me sick, but **** happens and that is why I understand some of these tests. Dropped an old lever action 30-30 in a swamp once... Covered in mud under 4 in of water. that was a bad day.

Ronco
10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I do this to my guns every range trip. Dosen't everyone?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35499&stc=1&d=1255932805

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35500&stc=1&d=1255932805

KAVEMAN762
10-19-2009, 12:02 AM
try shooting one during a sand storm or when a helo is kicking up major dirt, while shooting.

SoundFX
10-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Hmmm. Yeah, if they were burying it with the ejection port open I would be impressed. But....

Josh3239
10-19-2009, 9:08 PM
Impressed? A little sand on the carrier won't do anything.

J_Rock
10-22-2009, 7:28 PM
Another two feet down they would have found a AK thats been buried there for two and half years, that would be a test after towing it behind a jet ski for an hour to clean it.

i did learn don't cover guns with dirt, Use Blanket.

O rly?

Heres some AK fail for you.

Pretty much the same as the AR test, burying it in a little sand.

Whats that about legendary AK reliability? :rolleyes:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRRUuXyspT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRRUuXyspT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

technique
10-22-2009, 7:33 PM
O rly?

Heres some AK fail for you.

Pretty much the same as the AR test, burying it in a little sand.

Whats that about legendary AK reliability? :rolleyes:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRRUuXyspT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRRUuXyspT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

dupe!

J_Rock
10-22-2009, 7:36 PM
dupe!

Yeah yeah I stole it from the other thread. :D

Most of these tests are crap anyway. I just like making fun of the people who think AKs never malfunction. :p

technique
10-22-2009, 7:37 PM
I figured...now everyones gonna jump on the cross posting bandwagon :D

JTROKS
10-22-2009, 9:50 PM
Yeah yeah I stole it from the other thread. :D

Most of these tests are crap anyway. I just like making fun of the people who think AKs never malfunction. :p

Oh! NO!!! AKs jam too? :D:D:D

The guy didn't put the AK on safe and he had all that sand and dirt go into the action. Maybe if it was a 7.62x39 then it might work with all that dirt and sand, you can probably pour cement into the action and it will work. :rolleyes:

Josh3239
10-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Whaaaa? ARs work just fine dirty. Pat Rogers has over 25,000 rounds through his Colt without one cleaning. I think his BCM is trailing his Colt by a couple thousand rounds as well. His only malfuctions are ones just from playing the odds, it doesn't matter what firearm we are talking about after 25,000 rounds you are bound to run into a bad magazine, bad ammo, etc. AR cleaning is a myth. I no longer clean mine either. Lubrication will not only keep the rifle going but it will break down the carbon build up.

Cleaning an AR is the key to keeping it working. I don't see the point in ever letting a rifle get dirty enough that it stops functioning.

AR's are awesome rifles that can be 100% reliable as long as it is kept clean. Rarely is one in an environment where there is not time to clean and maintain a rifle or pistol. These test are good for reassurance but my firearms will never become that dirty if I can help it. **** happens though. I've dropped rifles before and it makes me sick, but **** happens and that is why I understand some of these tests. Dropped an old lever action 30-30 in a swamp once... Covered in mud under 4 in of water. that was a bad day.

sspen003
10-22-2009, 11:40 PM
ahh dirty AR's go against our methodology

sd1023x
10-23-2009, 8:47 AM
Whaaaa? ARs work just fine dirty. Pat Rogers has over 25,000 rounds through his Colt without one cleaning. I think his BCM is trailing his Colt by a couple thousand rounds as well. His only malfuctions are ones just from playing the odds, it doesn't matter what firearm we are talking about after 25,000 rounds you are bound to run into a bad magazine, bad ammo, etc. AR cleaning is a myth. I no longer clean mine either. Lubrication will not only keep the rifle going but it will break down the carbon build up.

You are too funny!

Josh3239
10-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Which part is funny? The experiences of one of the most knowledgable training instructors or the best videos that shows dirt not stopping the AR? How many rounds have you put through your rifle period? How about between cleaning? Or maybe my AR and the AR in the video and the ARs of Pat Rogers are just freaks of nature that science cannot explain and every other AR is junk that requires constant cleaning? Yep, that must be it because millions of kids who play Counter Strike couldn't be wrong.

leelaw
10-23-2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=234135