PDA

View Full Version : information requested

2hip
10-18-2009, 6:14 PM
Guys, was at a gun show today and an elderly gentleman had a WinMag .300 with a Nightforce scope and a Ubermeyer (or something close to this name) barrel. The rifle had less than 200 rds through it and she was a beauty. Possibly a Scandinavian country...maker...Goodness my brain just died on me for the name.
I have never shot a winmag rd...but this rifle was "tits" He wanted about 3k for it. I have been sniffing around for a month or so since I sold my M1A. Don't know if I should go 308, 300, or 30-06...want a good solid long range rifle for varmits or target shooting. I will reload so not that concerned with cost of cartridge... How potent is the kick versus the M1A or 30-06? Is the trajectory flatter versus the other 2...for example at 500 yds what would be the bullet drop on the three different calibers? thanks for your answers..and yes I am so green behind the ears...ha ha ...2hip

Beelzy
10-19-2009, 6:29 AM
That gun was overpriced.

Have you considered the .243Win?

5ohguy
10-19-2009, 9:36 AM
If your looking for the longest possible shots, go with the 300 win mag. All those calibers can be shot out to 500 yards, but the 308 and 30-06 will start losing velocity faster and will drop a tiny bit more than the 300 win mag. The 308 will lose velocity and drop the most.

Check out this article. Its n interesting read.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&ved=0CBwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgarandshooter.com%2FDocuments%2FT he%2520Myth%2520of%2520Flat%2520Trajectory.doc&ei=hqLcSqi7JYTKsQOYnJSFBg&usg=AFQjCNFeg_V27tBvBvjc6B4Rl3hDEQoccA&sig2=UyxFRQnnkRcNYdd_xuqqTg

reidnez
10-19-2009, 9:45 AM
What do you consider "long range?" You do not need a magnum rifle to reach out to 500 yards.

.300 Win-Mag is probably overkill for what you're considering. It packs several times the energy needed for a varmint and is really ideal for large game at long ranges--say, past 500 yards or so. Very few people hunt this way and some deem it pretty irresponsible.

I think a .270 is what you're looking for. Flat-shooting, very adequate for anything from varmints to deer with a change of load, mild recoil, ubiquitously available and relatively affordable to shoot.

Recoil can be pretty nasty in .300 Win-Mag (depending on weight and whether there's a good brake.) Just because you can handle it, doesn't mean you should; most people are better shots with milder rifles and are much more likely to actually shoot the thing, which develops better skills.

Not trying to dissuade you from what you want, I just think you would be better-served by a more traditional, milder rifle (as would 95% of the shooting public). Just because the hunting mag shows guys taking whitetail with magnum rifles, does not mean it's necessary or ideal--nothing could be further from the truth.

SJgunguy24
10-19-2009, 9:52 AM
Do you plan on going for anything bigger than varmits? If not then 5-6mm (243) range will be good enough. I know it's shot placement that really counts but if your thinking of pig, deer, bear or somthing larger. I'd stay in the 30 cal range. 300 win mag can get a bit painful after extened range time. Like 5oguy said, thats the reach out and touch somthing round.
I haven't got into reloading yet so I like the 30.06' do to the range of ammo choice and avalibility.

Fjold
10-19-2009, 9:57 AM
Guys, was at a gun show today and an elderly gentleman had a WinMag .300 with a Nightforce scope and a Ubermeyer (or something close to this name) barrel. The rifle had less than 200 rds through it and she was a beauty. Possibly a Scandinavian country...maker...Goodness my brain just died on me for the name.
I have never shot a winmag rd...but this rifle was "tits" He wanted about 3k for it. I have been sniffing around for a month or so since I sold my M1A. Don't know if I should go 308, 300, or 30-06...want a good solid long range rifle for varmits or target shooting. I will reload so not that concerned with cost of cartridge... How potent is the kick versus the M1A or 30-06? Is the trajectory flatter versus the other 2...for example at 500 yds what would be the bullet drop on the three different calibers? thanks for your answers..and yes I am so green behind the ears...ha ha ...2hip

If you are "green behind the ears" the last thing that you need is a custom 300 with an Obermeyer barrel. Bullet drop isn't as important as people think, Gravity is a constant so don't worry about it, it's easily compensated for.

Depending upon what you want to shoot a 243 or 308 will work if you get the option of the faster twist barrel.

justin_5585
10-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I am going to continue with the majority in saying a 300 may not be the best choice here. What do you define as varmints? Squirrel, prairie dogs and the occasional coyote? If so, and you really wanna reach out and touch something, I'd look into a .22-250 or the new .17 fireball. Both are FAST and will devestate anything in my varmint categories. If you want a do all gun for pigs, deer, and varmints, .243 is pretty hard to beat. I have one that will do handload 100 grain boattails at 3200 fps, and cranks 75 grain hollowpoints at 36ish...

Army
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Varmint shooting can require many hundreds of rounds fired in one stand.

.300WM can be $3.00 a shot

Do the math

Varminting is a dedicated small bore sport, with the 1/4" bores being on the large side. If you just want different but effective, go with the "new" .17 Fireball. Fast as hell, accurate as hell, and won't break the bank.