View Full Version : HELP! two rounds one trigger pull

10-18-2009, 4:35 PM
I know there are other threads out there about slam fire but I couldnt find them using the search. "My friend" has a saiga 223 that has been running fine however this time a 2 round burst came out when he pulled the trigger. I've seen the dimples on the primer of his rounds that have been chambered but not fired before but this is the first time he experienced what I believe was a slam fire. The ammo was PMC Bronze. Is there anything that can be changed to the firing pin? What should he do.

10-18-2009, 4:37 PM
The firing pin on the .223 Saiga is spring loaded to prevent slamfires. Very interesting.....

10-18-2009, 4:37 PM
This the first time it happened? Or does it happen on a regular basis?

10-18-2009, 4:38 PM
did it shoot fine after that? or did you stop shooting it? i would tear it apart and check the disconnector, disc. spring, and all surfaces on the hammer and disconnector that interface.. if everything seems fine, i would just stick to surplus, the primers are usually a bit harder. they did that to prevent slam-fire. (iirc)

10-18-2009, 4:39 PM
not a regular basis, but it has only had remmington ammo run through it. this is the first time using pmc. He stopped firing after the slam fire. What should he check for on those surfaces?

10-18-2009, 4:45 PM
well, ive never had an ak apart, but all surfaces should mate well and "look right." this is the point where an ak aficionado brings up a picture of these components.
if the disconnector is chipped, or the spring is broken, or anything that would cause it to not grab positively, it could let the hammer loose when the rifle jolts by the bolt going into battery. im not a gunsmith, but its definitely worth looking at.

ps- if he's getting light primer strikes, it sounds like there is definitely something gone wrong in the fire control group.... are light primer strikes a normal occurance in saigas?

10-18-2009, 4:47 PM
is it a converted Saiga?

10-18-2009, 5:00 PM
A simple check of the FCG to make sure the retaining pins are in place, nothing is stuck in the action, debrit, twisted spring, etc., and a function test should verify that the action is fine. The spring loaded firing pin will move forward and may "dimple" the primer without setting it off when the bolt slams forward on loading. It should not set off the primer.

10-18-2009, 5:02 PM
or, maybe youre buddy's a limp-wristed sissy, and bump-fired it. :D

10-19-2009, 6:56 AM
milking the trigger will cause this.. called trigger bounce....

10-19-2009, 9:33 AM
My friends AR has done this before...We could never figure out why.

Standard LAR Grizzly lower, DPMS parts kit..nothing special.

10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Easy fix is to run wolf ammo. The primers are harder and it's cheaper.

Like tech asked, is it converted? If yes, then you need to make sure the axis pins are fully seated and have the shepards crook or a retaining plate inplace.
If it's not converted make sure when the trigger is pulled don't go soft. Strong pull to the rear and let off quick. Milking it was the term used, don't do that. The disconnector sometimes doesn't catch the hammer when that is done and you can get hammer follow and sometimes a double.

10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
This happened the first time I took my converted saiga out. Took it apart cleaned and lubed everything, and it hasn't happened again. It can also happen from a bad disconnector spring.

10-19-2009, 1:14 PM
Could just be a fluke, it can happen accidently. If it keeps happening, it's time to take it to a gunsmith.