PDA

View Full Version : Please don't read this petty CCW rant.

Wildkow
10-18-2009, 4:39 PM
Everything has gone so smoothly getting my CCW that I'm almost embarrassed to even mention this but when my actual permit finally came in the mail I discovered, a bit to my dismay, that it was HUGE, by my estimate almost 60% larger than a Drivers License or CC! I guess I'll just go out an find a bigger wallet if there is such a thing or maybe trim it down a bit as long as that won't rile the powers that be. :rolleyes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3481/4023544013_a58ab143fb.jpg

That's it rant over, Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims, thank you! :thumbsup:

Wildkow

mej16489
10-18-2009, 5:11 PM
Turn it sideways, fold it in half.

Wildkow
10-18-2009, 5:22 PM
The damn thing is laminated any good suggestions as to how to get it to fold so that the crease is thin and still holds the crease, use an iron? My wallet is fairly fat already since its a tri-fold.

Wildkow

Purple K
10-18-2009, 5:26 PM
I wish I had to worry about the size of my CCW.

SDI
10-18-2009, 6:14 PM
Trim both sides almost to the edge of the writing. It will be exactly the length of your DL.

BTW, congrats.

MrClamperSir
10-18-2009, 6:22 PM
It still won't be the same size as a drivers license. Trim it down (the laminate part) and get a new wallet. Sometimes you just gotta work around these things. I'm considering wearing zippered jeans, something I've never done before. I'm strictly a button fly guy but taking a whiz causes to much delay and fumbling.

Nefarious
10-18-2009, 7:10 PM
save yourself the hastle and just get a new wallet, one designed for law enforcement creds. That sucker will fit in there ;)

Edit: Sheesh I did a double take on just how much EXTRA laminate they put on that thing

paul0660
10-18-2009, 8:19 PM
Ask them if you can carry a copy.

Then, get that in writing.

Then, photocopy it, fold it any way you want, and redo the copy when it wears out (about every 3 months for me.) Keep the original in a safe.

Humboldt
10-18-2009, 8:36 PM
Mine is bigger than that and I laminated it, folded it, and stuffed it in my wallet. No problem.

PolishMike
10-18-2009, 8:39 PM
This is like someone complaining that they don't have any room for all their money ;)

JagerTroop
10-19-2009, 5:54 AM
This is like someone complaining that they don't have any room for all their money ;)

Or someone complaining that there's not enough room in their (already huge) safe for all their guns

coq
10-19-2009, 6:43 AM
Turn it sideways, fold it in half.

Yes. It will fold, even when laminated. It's not the prettiest thing, but if all goes well, you'll be the only one to ever see it. Most other states have a nice card...so if you want something to show off, get a UT, NV or FL, too.

Wildkow
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys for the congrats, all the good ideas and the funny comments. Too many guns! Thats hella funny! :D

Wildkow

Knauga
10-19-2009, 9:13 PM
Perhaps you can ask the nice folks in Sheriff Mim's office to contact the good folks in San Bernardino county to ask them how to do the proper origami so that the laminated CCW is the same size as the drivers license.

Mine fits perfectly behind my drivers license. It is a hair bigger top to bottom, but thats it.

leitung
10-20-2009, 2:32 AM
My buddies sac s/o permit is huge also, and it came laminated.. I can't wait for mine...

riprap
10-20-2009, 4:24 AM
Although somewhat expensive, Filson makes a quality leather wallet that will accommodate a folded and laminated piece of rice paper.

sfpcservice
10-25-2009, 6:58 PM
I find that a business card holder works great for carrying a CCW. I've heard the Police/LEO are encouraged not to carry their Badge/ID in their "money wallet" and I think the same can hold true for a CCW. I think the reason is to not let the bad guy know you are armed until you are ready to let them know.

Swatguy10_15
10-26-2009, 7:39 PM
You laminated it..Doesnt laminate have a certain adhesive property...What if you want to add a weapon??

Wulf
10-26-2009, 8:34 PM
I make a very slightly reduced color copy of mine and laminate that. All at the suggestion of the LEO that taught the renewal class. The odds of any person you might have to show it to having enough experience holding one to notice the difference is exceedingly slight. The original goes into the safe in case a modification needs to be made.

Knauga
10-27-2009, 10:57 AM
You laminated it..Doesnt laminate have a certain adhesive property...What if you want to add a weapon??

In my county they issue a new laminated CCW with the weapon change.

hill billy
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Exactly. Wish I had his problems.

Capt. Speirs
11-12-2009, 8:41 AM
Most of us wish we had this problem, but this is another example of how the government screws things up. They know we have to carry the permit and it is no secret what size it needs to be to fit in your wallet.

JaMail
11-12-2009, 10:10 AM
yea, i was going to say, does it really matter what card stock its on? as long as it has all the correct information you should be ok, they are mostly looking for the CCW number if they ever have to run it..

kind of like the whole thing about if you write a check on a brick, the bank has to honor it?

find one of the companies online that will engrave it for you on a peice of aluminum

Knauga
11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
yea, i was going to say, does it really matter what card stock its on? as long as it has all the correct information you should be ok, they are mostly looking for the CCW number if they ever have to run it..

kind of like the whole thing about if you write a check on a brick, the bank has to honor it?

find one of the companies online that will engrave it for you on a peice of aluminum

The form IS the license. I wouldn't expect anybody to accept a copy or facsimile of my CCW any more than I would expect them to accept a copy or facsimile of my drivers license or passport. Some agencies are beginning to issue ID cards in addition to the license, but you still have to carry the actual license.

A check and a government issued license are apples and oranges and there is no comparison.

MP301
11-13-2009, 5:14 PM

NO S***!

4D5auto
11-25-2009, 8:20 PM
Interesting, laminated! They still issue us the thin paper it's typed on!

Gotta ask you all, in the counties you were issued in, do they require the every 2 year renewal class??

Hot Brass
11-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Fold it in half, and have it laminated.

Hot Brass
11-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Interesting, laminated! They still issue us the thin paper it's typed on!

Gotta ask you all, in the counties you were issued in, do they require the every 2 year renewal class??

Yes.

Hot Brass
11-27-2009, 12:55 PM
In my county they issue a new laminated CCW with the weapon change.

Ditto.

Kid Stanislaus
12-11-2009, 5:32 PM
I didn't read it.

CGK60
01-25-2010, 9:47 AM
Have it laminated. When i renew at the sheriffs office they will do it there for $5.00.Well worth it.