PDA

View Full Version : My impulsive friend and his Remington 870

CowtownBallin
05-10-2005, 6:38 PM
My friend Dave is very paranoid and bull-headed. Once determined to do something, you cannot sway him by mere words. He was mad that the bolt kept getting stuck on his Mosin-Nagants so he turned both of them into the police for disposal. I later told him about cleaning the chamber, and boy did he look foolish.

Anywho,
this time, he's overreacting about the J-lock safety or whatever on his Remington 870. He is 100% confident that the moment a 7 foot tall, 400lb. monster/thief/murderer/Bill Clinton walks into his room, the J-lock will prevent his 870 (which he refers to as his bedside gun) from firing.

Do you guys know what part needs to be swapped out to get ride of the J-lock? Remington's discontinuing them on 2005 models, so there's no problem with that. I tried browsing MidwayUSA.com but didn't know what exactly I was looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated..I'm just afraid he's gonna go take his $500 tricked out 870 and give it to the cops again for disposal!

CowtownBallin
05-10-2005, 6:38 PM
My friend Dave is very paranoid and bull-headed. Once determined to do something, you cannot sway him by mere words. He was mad that the bolt kept getting stuck on his Mosin-Nagants so he turned both of them into the police for disposal. I later told him about cleaning the chamber, and boy did he look foolish.

Anywho,
this time, he's overreacting about the J-lock safety or whatever on his Remington 870. He is 100% confident that the moment a 7 foot tall, 400lb. monster/thief/murderer/Bill Clinton walks into his room, the J-lock will prevent his 870 (which he refers to as his bedside gun) from firing.

Do you guys know what part needs to be swapped out to get ride of the J-lock? Remington's discontinuing them on 2005 models, so there's no problem with that. I tried browsing MidwayUSA.com but didn't know what exactly I was looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated..I'm just afraid he's gonna go take his $500 tricked out 870 and give it to the cops again for disposal!

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
05-11-2005, 9:05 AM
Follow these instuctions very carefully:
Take your friend's shotgun. Make sure that it's unloaded. Double check that it's unloaded actually. Then beat the crap out of your friend with this shotgun for being a dumbass.

I understand that you can replace the J-lock safety on the 870 with a plain one. Another way to go about it would be to leave the J-lock in the "unlocked" position and not worry about it. If he's still not satisfied, then tell him that he can sell this shotgun, j-lock and all for $100 and make another responsible gun owner very happy.
Personally, the J-lock was the main reason why I ordered the 870 Police model. It has just the regular crossbolt safety without the stupid lock.

CowtownBallin
05-11-2005, 4:28 PM
He's just afraid of failures. He's as paranoid as people get. He recently stated his disguist toward HKs, Rugers, and S&Ws for having internal locking mechanisms hahahaha

Moonclip
05-11-2005, 5:29 PM
You are being a little hard on your friend but the turning in the Mosin Nagants story was "interesting" to say the least, I'd love to hear more about that one.

I personally do not like integral locks on guns and refuse to own a S&W revolver so equiped. I also will not own a Springfield Armory especially because of the lock. For some reason it does not bother me as much on a Taurus though and I own one so equiped.

I had a Remington like your friend and decided of my 3 870's two would have to go. Guess which one got to stay with me! I personally feel for liability reasons no integral locks or magazine safeties should be deleted. I would highly recommend your friend finds one of the millions of pre lock 870's that are out there or get a Mossberg 500 at any Big 5 for low $200's and be done with it.

And before your friend does anything else gun related please have him ask for advice on this board or from you first!

ivanimal
05-11-2005, 6:04 PM
I own 2 remingtons with J locks and neither has ever seen the key.

Another answer to a non existant problem. Tell your friend to shoot the hell out of it and see if it ever misfires. I have thousands of rounds through my 870 and it has never misfired.

If all else fails do as Trempel says.

Turbinator
05-12-2005, 7:29 AM
If your impulsive friend ever decides to sell anything else off, or "donate" anything else to the police, let us know first. We will likely take the offending item off of his hands, at no fee, even.

Turby

imported_kantstudien
05-13-2005, 9:59 PM
First off, tell your friend he is an idiot. Then tell him to order a Wilson Combat extended safety from Brownells for 12-15 bucks. Problem solved.