Eat Dirt
10-18-2009, 11:03 AM
I need a little help looking up this old Shotgun
It belongs to a friend of mine that is thinking of selling it

16 Gauge
It is marked Fremont Arms on the side
On the Barrel marked Belgium Fine Damascus
Also have one Really old box full of Winchester 16 Gauge shells

Any help as to year / History / Value ??

Eat Dirt
10-18-2009, 9:37 PM
Anybody know anything about this shotgun ??

10-18-2009, 9:50 PM
That one appears to be a medium quality Belgian double, of which many were imported in the 1870's to 1910-ish period.

Many are found with importers' names or false names similar to those of well-known manufacturers. Catalogue sales firms like Sears and Roebuck offered many varieties of these, under quite a variety of trade names, as did any number of ordinary hardware stores, who bought them of the wholesale hardware trade.

If you would care to take it down and provide clear close-up photos of the water table and the barrel flats, to show the Belgian proof-marks, I may be able to provide a range of years in which it was proofed.

Some photos of the locking lugs, and a side view of the doll's head, to see whether there is a bite on it, would help with an impression of quality level. It is quite unlikely to be an ejector gun, but some were, so its worth a look.

It may, depending on the condition of the barrels, be safe to fire, but with black powder loads only. Do look very closely for any appearance of intergranular corrosion with any Damascus or twist barrel, tho.

Eat Dirt
10-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Thank you for the quick responce
I'll take detailed pictures tomorrow and post

I know the first pics were not that good / But I just wanted to get a few up and them get an Idea of what he has

There are Lots ........ of proof marks on the shotgun
You know ,,,,thats whats so interesting and what I like about old guns

Every- one has a history and story to unravel

How old is it / where did it come from / who made it / What's it worth

I'll take old iron and real wood over an Black Rifle anyday

10-18-2009, 11:21 PM
The Crescent Fire Arms Company manufactured Fremont Arms shotguns. These were made for BP shells, and probably wouldn't be safe to shoot with those now. $100 wall hanger.:(
But........if there isn't any serious bore pitting, and it functions and locks up tight, there are a couple of shotgun gunsmiths that silver solder in .410ga and 28ga tube liners giving these classic old SxS's new life. The only drawback is the tubes do make them barrel heavy.