PDA

View Full Version : Buying an out of state gun

hadjin
10-17-2009, 11:09 PM
What is the law regarding buying an out of state (from arizona) gun privately with no paperwork and bringing it back to California ? He says in Arizona it's legal to do private sales without paperwork.

A guy I know wants to sell his small collection. Does there need to a state to state ownership trail, or can I just register the guns here ?

thanks

ke6guj
10-17-2009, 11:15 PM
the AZ party would need to send the firearm to your local CA FFL in order to comply with federal law.

If you just did a private sale in AZ with him, he'd be violating federal law by selling to a non-licensee of a different state. In addition, when you brought the firearm back to CA, you'd also be violating federal law.

So, in order to comply with federal law, you need to use a CA FFL to facilitate the transfer.

advocatusdiaboli
10-17-2009, 11:18 PM
You absolutely must not bring it in yourself after purchase if you are currently a California resident. If you are a CA resident, you need to perform an FFL transfer and undergo the restrictions of CA Law (waiting period. etc) to take possession. Buying firearms BEFORE you enter the state to reside is a different issue, but that is not what you asked.

hadjin
10-17-2009, 11:48 PM
OK, Thanks gents..

Librarian
10-18-2009, 12:15 PM
You have the short-form correct answer from people who stay up later than I do!

The long explanation of the interstate transfer laws is on the Calguns Foundation Wiki here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate).

SJgunguy24
10-18-2009, 12:21 PM
You have the short-form correct answer from people who stay up later than I do!

The long explanation of the interstate transfer laws is on the Calguns Foundation Wiki here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate).

What a party animal like you????

The only way you can bring a newly aquired gun accross state lines is to be licensed or the gun is made before 1899, it's then considered an antique and no longer a firearm.

hadjin
10-18-2009, 3:04 PM
Thanks for the link and your replys..