PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 buffer failure.

10-17-2009, 9:45 PM
My AR buffer failed apart today at the range and jammed the bolt. The rubber cushion of the buffer broke off and jammed the bolt in the buffer tube.

Is this problem common with AR ?

How do we know which buffer is better than the other ?

Which brand to avoid ?

shoupdawg
10-17-2009, 9:47 PM
Curious...what are the specs on your ar? Lower/Upper, etc?

technique
10-17-2009, 9:51 PM
How did the rubber part end up in the BCG area? Did you have it in backwards?

Ruiner
10-17-2009, 9:58 PM

This. How did you have your buffer installed?

Josh3239
10-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Maybe he was using one of these pads that sit between your buffer and carrier. If he was that junk doesn't belong in your rifle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=437961

Seesm
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
OP you got some splaining to do... :)

10-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Curious...what are the specs on your ar? Lower/Upper, etc?

The lower is a Sabre Defences with carbine buffer.

The end of the buffer is made of a translucent piece of rubber, which is to seal the weight inside the buffer and acts as a cushion when it slam to the end of the buffer tube.

This. How did you have your buffer installed?

Just like my other AR's. Actually, this particular buffer/lower has seen about 1000 rounds without problem. Today is the first time I see this kind of problem.

Maybe he was using one of these pads that sit between your buffer and carrier. If he was that junk doesn't belong in your rifle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=437961

Plain old vanilla carbine setup with standard carbine buffer, nothing fancy.

OP you got some splaining to do... :)

Enough for a strange problem ? :p

DREADNOUGHT78
10-17-2009, 10:38 PM
That sucks! Just get a regular buffer!

10-17-2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Buffer%20Carbine-2.jpg

The rubber piece on the left end fell off. :confused:

The above picture is from BCM. You can see that it has some sort of pin or stake, shown on the bottom. My buffer does not have that pin/stake. I guess that the repetition of recoil over time has broken it loose.

It looks like all of my buffers are going to be replaced with a pinned/staked ones, like what BCM have. The rifle was completely jammed when that piece had broken loose. I was lucky to find a wrench from the rangemaster and had the problem fixed on spot.

joelogic
10-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I have snapped that plastic ring on the back of my buffer before but how did it get past the buffer, is the question?

reidnez
10-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I have snapped that plastic ring on the back of my buffer before but how did it get past the buffer, is the question?

That would definitely be my question! :confused:

So the rubber end-piece broke off, migrated past your entire buffer (the opposite end of which almost entirely closes off the buffer tube) and ended up inside your receiver somewhere? Like, between the tail end of your BCG and the rest of the buffer? I'm just not getting it. Not trying to call you a liar or stupid, but how the heck did that happen?

10-17-2009, 10:58 PM

That would definitely be my question! :confused:

So the rubber end-piece broke off, migrated past your entire buffer (the opposite end of which almost entirely closes off the buffer tube) and ended up inside your receiver somewhere? Like, between the tail end of your BCG and the rest of the buffer? I'm just not getting it. Not trying to call you a liar or stupid, but how the heck did that happen?

The rubber end piece did not go any where but jammed the spring and the bolt, inside the buffer tube.

joelogic
10-17-2009, 11:24 PM
A piece of plastic lodged the bolt carrier within the buffer tube? Pretty large failure.

k_corj
10-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Lesson: Don't buy cheap a** buffers ;)

bolantej
10-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I guess I'll keep my spare buffer in the bag from now on.

Ruiner
10-18-2009, 5:42 AM
The rubber end piece did not go any where but jammed the spring and the bolt, inside the buffer tube.

I get you now. I thought it somehow made it past the buffer and jammed up against the bolt :eek:. Anyway, yeah it should have a pin that holds it. Looks like whoever made yours skimped out on it and maybe decided an interference fit and/or glue was enough.

reidnez
10-18-2009, 6:49 AM
Ohhhh ok now I get it! That makes sense. Well, bummer!

Vinz
10-18-2009, 8:26 AM
My AR buffer failed apart today at the range and jammed the bolt. The rubber cushion of the buffer broke off and jammed the bolt in the buffer tube.

Is this problem common with AR ?

How do we know which buffer is better than the other ?

Which brand to avoid ?

problem is you really don't know what you are getting these days as companies are substituting or changing vendors to keep up with demand.

that sucks...let us know when you autopsy of the buffer. Like to see what failed.

vinz

missiontrails
10-18-2009, 8:36 AM
So, is your upper stuck on your lower?

Darklyte27
10-18-2009, 8:41 AM
post pictures of your stuff.
maybe someone sold you airsoft stuff!

Vinz
10-18-2009, 9:44 AM

airsoft buffer?
curious to find out what ammo he used and a picture of the spring.

vinz

bomb_on_bus
10-18-2009, 11:28 AM
WOW!

has this ever happened to anyone else before?

to me it sounds like a defective buffer.

10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
...let us know when you autopsy of the buffer. Like to see what failed.

vinz

The rubber end piece simply broke off the buffer, no other damage.

So, is your upper stuck on your lower?

Yes, the bolt jammed back in the buffer tube and render the rifle useless. I had to take the buffer assembly apart for rebuild.

I bought the buffer online, but could not recall which vendor sold me that POS.

airsoft buffer?
curious to find out what ammo he used and a picture of the spring.

vinz

I'm just lazy for pictures. They look just like my other buffer and spring on my other ARs. When I review the buffer, I found it's not pinned/staked like the ones sold by BCM.

WOW!

has this ever happened to anyone else before?

to me it sounds like a defective buffer.

+ 1

A poor quality buffer made by whoever wants to cut corner for profit.