PDA

View Full Version : SMLE No. 4 Mk II

Texwanders
10-17-2009, 9:26 PM
Saw one today that seems to have a really good bore, a little better than the one in my No 4 Mk 1. It also appears to have a date in 1954. Solid looking rifle at $250.

I gathered from Wikipedia that the Mk 2's were made after WWII. Any other websites that could point me toward dates of manufacture, the meaning of the numbers on the receiver & barrel? I Googled and saw a few articles, nothing really comprehensive.

Thanks!

Peter in CA
10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Texwanders,
There are several books that will be able to explain what the markings are on Enfield rifles. You can also get your questions answered on the Gunboards in the Enfield section. You can also PM me and I will try to explain them to the best of my abilities.
You are right about the manufacture of the No 4 Mk II being after WWII. The powers that be decided that a trigger anchored to the receiver would be better that a trigger attached to the stock. And in general, they are. Most of the post WWII rifles never saw very much service and a 1954 built rifle probably went right into storage after it was built. That could explain the bore condition.
A No 4 Mk II in good condition or better is easily worth $250. In almost new condition, maybe even $350 to $400.

Peter in CA

berg
10-18-2009, 2:11 PM
Wow, I would have bought that one. It's getting harder to find decent No4's, especially the mk2 modification for less than $300.

glennsche
10-19-2009, 9:36 AM
Wow, I would have bought that one. It's getting harder to find decent No4's, especially the mk2 modification for less than $300.

they seem to still be up on gb at under 300.... who knows how good they are tho, cant tell from this pic, but consider:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=143316313