PDA

View Full Version : Ak-47 to Ak-74 conversion

BT JUSTICE
10-17-2009, 9:01 PM
Hello-

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I promise I searched and found nothing. Is it possible and or cheap to switch my RAW Polytec Ak-47/s to shoot the WAY cheaper 5.45x39 Ak-74 cartridge? Can I just change the barrel and magazines or is there more to it?

SJgunguy24
10-17-2009, 9:03 PM
Hello-

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I promise I searched and found nothing. Is it possible and or cheap to switch my RAW Polytec Ak-47/s to shoot the WAY cheaper 5.45x39 Ak-74 cartridge? Can I just change the barrel and magazines or is there more to it?

I don't know if that would be 100% legal. You would need a parts kit and change the barrel, trunnion, basiclly the entire front end of the rifle. The only thing considered a firearm is the receiver.

69Mach1
10-17-2009, 9:04 PM
It can be done, but in my opinion, it's not worth it. Just get yourself an off list AK 74 variant. The conversion will require a new barrel, a different rear sight base, headspacing, possibly a different front trunnion installed, and modification of the ejector. Not to mention a new bolt carrier and bolt.

69Mach1
10-17-2009, 9:10 PM
Oh, and please do not do that to a beautiful Polytech rifle. Those AK's are also worth quite a bit.

Rem1492
10-17-2009, 9:34 PM
what 69 said. Basically its impossible. Youd have to mod the rails so much and reweld the trunion holes in the receiver. so much work youd probably spend more than buying a whole AR upper in 5.45.

Lateralus
10-17-2009, 9:35 PM
^ What 69 said.

Plus, AKs are cheap enough to rationalize buying a new one for the same price and effort of converting yours. If one AK is good, two AKs must be better! Keep the RAW the way it is, buy a new AK-74.

BT JUSTICE
10-17-2009, 9:39 PM
Thank you all for your speedy assistance. I incorrectly assumed that the guns and cartridges had more in common. Do any of you have any experience with the drop-in .22lr conversions, like the Ciener? 7.62x39 is still fairly cheap, but I'd still like to shoot more and spend less.....

SJgunguy24
10-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Drop in for what? If it's a AK 47 you would need some kind of barrel liner.

BT JUSTICE
10-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Ciener's website says it installs in 30 seconds, but it does use a chamber adapter/barrel liner, so I suppose that could still be considered "drop in".....

SJgunguy24
10-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Ciener's website says it installs in 30 seconds, but it does use a chamber adapter/barrel liner, so I suppose that could still be considered "drop in".....

How much practice does it take to become a "drop in" item? How does the liner slide in? From the breech, the muzzle? The breech , do you need to remove the bolt? the bolt carrier? Does the liner and "kit" tie in together some how?
I'm a tinkerer and I need to know how things work. Whomever is selling this would get the full list of questions. I've heard about the Ceiner drop in kits having problems before.

bigthaiboy
10-18-2009, 1:44 AM
Get yourself a Saiga in 5.45x39mm if you want a plinking rifle in that caliber.

NeoWeird
10-18-2009, 2:20 AM
I've not used the AK conversion, but I understand how they work and I've used their AR conversions so I know the quality.

In all honesty, it's probably a BIT more hassle then they are worth. Yes, it drops in; you take off the dust cover, pull the recoil spring assemble, carrier, and bolt, the new bolt/barrel assembly slide in with the barrel liner going in first, and I believe they have their own recoil spring. After that, your top cover goes back on and you're done. The only problem is that you'd still be limited to 10 round magazines and you'd have taken your RAW and turned in into a gun you can already own without paperwork.

You're also looking in the price range of a Ruger 10/22 or similar 22 rifle that is still semi-auto but is far more reliable with a wider range of aftermarket and replacement parts to upgrade performance. When it comes to rimfire, I think you'd be far better off getting another gun then getting the conversion, especially since Ciener is less than friendly to customers, even those who are not Californians. You also would have a very long wait time.

Like said, if you're looking for cheap shooting, either a new .22 rifle and not a conversion is the way to go for .22 or go get a cheaper rifle like a Saiga if you want something in a centerfire cartridge. The barrel, bolt, and carrier and going to run around the price of a used Saiga anyways, so you'd probably save money that way anyways.

duraglock
10-18-2009, 8:33 AM
Get one of the romy 22 ak rifles. Same mechanics and will run better than a conversion. Keep the poly intact and get or build a 74.

Quiet
10-18-2009, 3:36 PM
Get yourself a Saiga in 5.45x39mm if you want a plinking rifle in that caliber.

Do this.

If you want an inexpensive AK plinker, get a Saiga-545.

cgseanp1
10-18-2009, 7:28 PM
Hello-

I know this isn't what you were asking, but the 5.45 isnt WAY cheaper than 7.62x39.. 7.62 can be had for about 200/1000, and the cheap 5.45 corrosive stuff is about 150/160 per 1000.. so not that much cheaper:)